Needing suggestions for a lightweight MF SLR

linsey_ybarra

Pentacon six ttl. Interchangeable lenses with extension

tubes for close ups and the option of the pentaprism or the

waist level finder. If you are in Europe replacements are

available at reasonable prices.

Its a 6x6 with no interchangeable backs but its compact

enough (though heavy) to carry around.

Before I want to suggest something is to learn more about what you want to shoot. You stated portraits. Are

your interests in other types of mediums, such as nature, wildlife, street type of photography?

A 2 year backpacking trip sounds really fantastic! Way to go! Hope you have the opportunities to perhaps write

a book or 2.

I shot with Hassy's for many years, film only. The cool part about the Blad's (Hasselblad's) is if your camera or

lenses die, it's not hard to find replacements. So many were made and kind of unchanged for 30 or more years.

With some of the other camera brands not as many were made. So in a pinch you can still pick up a 500 C or

CM body without too much effort and too much money.

The longer lenses start getting pretty heavy and often a pain to carry around, such as the 250mm and longer.

So another question is in reference to weight. With he longer lenses yo pretty much need a fairly well built

tripod. Part of the problems and the need for pods are the F-stops starting at F-5.6 to F-8.

If you pick up a 160mm lens instead of the 150mm the 160 has one less element, so it's just a shade less in

weight. I wasn't really able to see much difference in the quality, if any. Would you be OK lugging around 3

lenses? I'd probably go with something like a 40mm, the 80mm, and maybe the 150 or the 160mm lens set. You

can also yet extension tubes or just one tube for doing close-up work.

Oh, I should explain a bit more here. The 160mm lens has a lot more plastic compared to the all metal 150mm lens

frame. Same with the 80mm kit lens. It also has more plastic along with the 60mm. I think it's the 60mm. There

could be as much as a 1 pound difference per lens.

Then there is the 500mm lens. This is close to 2 1/2 feet long. I'm not sure of the weight. Even though the lens is

huge and the F-stop starts at F-8 it also goes to F-64! It is a pretty fun lens, the optics are excellent. I didn't use it

very often, but I did lug it around pretty much everywhere for wildlife work.

So the question is how many miles do you plan on walking around? Will your husband help with some of the

weight? I could hike around the woods in places such as Yosemite for 5 to 8 miles with a camera backpack, a tripod, and

the 500mm lens. I was sore, the hills take a lot out of you, but it was worth it!

<p>So many responses here, thank you SO much everyone!! You have been such a great help! A few responses to some comments/questions...</p>

<p>For everyone suggesting 645: I am definitely rethinking this now! As I said in my post, it's not ideal but I would consider it. I just really love the 67 and 6x6 formats so much, for both the size and dimensions. I usually shoot 6x6 so going down to 645 (even though it's not THAT much smaller) is a little bit of a sacrifice, and does feel almost too close to 35mm. At the same time, it could be my most practical option and might be the best compromise. I'm going to look further into the cameras that have been suggested. As far as lenses go, I really want to just bring one good all-around lens. I do shoot primarily portraits which is why I want at least a f/2.8, but I would be totally fine with a 75 or 80mm lens. It would actually probably be better than a longer lens because a lot of the places I will be shooting are going to be tight areas (going to be primarily in africa and asia, which will mean small homes, alleyways, etc.) I shot 6x6 in India and found that a 75mm lens was perfect for most of what I wanted to shoot. I only wish it had the capability of focusing closer, which is why I'm looking for that as well. So I guess it will depend.. if I can't find an 80mm lens that can focus close then I may have to compromise in some area. I'm hoping this isn't the case though. Close-up filters could also be an option in that case if I can find some decent ones.</p>

<blockquote>

Quite honestly I'm surprised that anyone has even bothered to suggest camera models of supposed suitability for this venture. The idea is mad beyond belief...........

</blockquote>

I'm not going to quote your entire post, but yes I have considered every thing you mention here and I have worked it all out. I have considered many other options... just 35mm, just digital, etc. and have settled on what is going to be the best for me (I'm going to be shooting hybrid btw, also bringing either a canon 6d or a mirrorless if Fuji comes out with a full-frame before we leave). I appreciate your concern but don't really find the pretentious way in which you stated your ideas to be necessary. I also don't think it is necessary or really relevant for me to explain why I have settled on this idea but if you are so curious to know then I can explain it.

For those suggesting rangefinders: I don't have anything against rangefinders in general, but they are definitely not suited for what I want to shoot. I know they would be the most practical by far for this trip (as I stated in my post) but like I said, I'm not interested. I have shot with them before and they are only capable of shooting about 30% or less of what I shoot. In fact, I bought a Fuji ga645 specifically to test out for this trip because it's so lightweight and easy to use, but after going through a bunch of rolls I realized it just wasn't at all what I was looking for. There are no rangefinders (that I'm aware of) that can shoot as close as headshots... only about half-body, and I absolutely need that capability. Also, the widest aperture I am finding on RF's is 3.5 or 4, which is just impossible with the low light I will be in (not sure if I will have a flash with me or not but I prefer natural light when I can swing it anyway). I will of course shoot some landscape, architecture, etc. but I shoot very little of that compared to portraits. I mostly shoot environmental portraits, candid portraits (and street), and headshots so I need a camera and lens that can do all 3 of those things.

<blockquote>

Personal digressions should be handled elsewhere. "Should" be. Doesn't always work out that way. But these sorts of spats tend to alienate prospective new members. Photo.net participation is way down as it is. Let's try to make it a more welcoming place.

</blockquote>

Thank you for that. I am new to photo.net! (new to posting at least.. I have used it for a long time to read forums) I actually joined specifically to post this question. I am very pleased with the responses though... *most* of the comments have been extremely helpful!

<blockquote>

Before I want to suggest something is to learn more about what you want to shoot. You stated portraits. Are your interests in other types of mediums, such as nature, wildlife, street type of photography?

</blockquote>

I think I answered this question in an earlier paragraph. I hadn't thought about extension tubes for close-up work but that's a great idea! (I think someone else suggested that as well.. thank you!) and I will answer your other question below--

I guess I should explain for everyone what I mean by backpacking. Yes it will be your typical backpacking trip to a lot of different countries and we will have to walk around with our backpacks a lot as we are traveling and transporting to different areas, but the times I will actually be shooting will be when we have settled into a place for a bit. We're going to 30-35 different countries and we will be in each one for at least 2 weeks, sometimes up to 3 or 4 months. So really, the concern with the camera is more about being able to pack it with all of my other stuff (clothes/toiletries etc.) into one large backpack that I am capable of carrying around in between countries and as we transport to different areas. We are not planning on spending too much time hiking or walking really long distances with our packs, though it may happen here and there if necessary, and we probably will spend a lot of time hiking/walking around with just our camera bags but our main focus is on people and culture so I can't imagine a ton of crazy hiking unless we are heading to a small tribe or village. So I know that lightweight is relative in medium format, but I'm willing to sacrifice for the space/weight since it's not like I'm going to be hiking all over the place with my pack. That being said, I obviously don't want to bring more than necessary... I'm really trying for the bare minimum that still allows me to shoot what I want. We never know if we are going to get stranded, end up camping somewhere, or having to walk miles to different places etc. so I need to at least be able to handle the size/weight. My ideal kit would be a digital body with one versatile lens, and a medium format body with one decently versatile lens--probably around 80mm and at least f/2.8 (another reason for needing that is I'm going to be in a lot of low-light situations with no tripod), and then basic necessary accessories--battery charger for my digital, maybe an extra back if the MF has interchangeable backs, a close-up filter or tube if necessary, memory cards, a whole bunch of film (I will have the ability to order online if I run out so that's not a concern), and possibly a speedlight and/or reflector.. some sort of lighting aid. Apart from that, I really don't want to bring a whole lot more. Just a simple kit. I find that even when I have access to a lot of gadgets I rarely use them.. I just prefer basic, simple, and pretty versatile. Anyway... I would appreciate any other suggestions! A lot of great ones have been made and I will start doing my research on the equipment mentioned. Thank you everybody!!

<p>one more comment!..</p>

<blockquote>

<p>the next lightest SLR that I can think of is Bronica SQA. It has interchangeable lenses, backs, prisms. </p>

</blockquote>

<p>I actually had thought a lot about the bronica sqa before! having the option of switching between 6x6 and 645 would be super awesome, but I can't seem to find the 645 back for this camera anywhere. It exists, right? I read somewhere that it has the capability of switching between 645 and 6x6 depending on the back (it may have been a different bronica but I'm pretty sure it was in the sq line.. maybe the ai?) Anyway.. do you know anything about this? </p>

<p>The SQAi will take the SQ-i120j and SQ-i220J backs, which are 645 backs. However, those things must be extremely rare. I've never seen anyone use one of these backs. You may have a tough time finding them on the used market.<br>

If you're willing to go the 645 route, look into Pentax 645NII and any of the Mamiya offerings. Mamiya is modular (especially the Pro and Pro TL versions which have interchangeable backs) and has the 80mm f1.9 lens, while Pentax is lighter and has an integrated motordrive, built-in metering prism and feels the most modern.</p>

<p>Linsey<br>

I'm still a little concerned that you want to take a SLR into remote field conditions for prolonged periods of time. How gentle will field conditions permit you to be and how much do you think environmental conditions may be extreme? Most if not all medium format slr's are complex beasts and not all that rugged compared to legendary workhorses like the Nikon F or even the old Speed Graphic. When you release the shutter on many MF slr's, a surprising number of thing happen in very rapid sequence and if any one of the steps fails, the camera can't be used. This is tied to the fact that most of these systems are getting oldish - mechanics fall out of tolerance and alignment, and electronics degrade. <br>

In terms of MF dependability, TLR's have an advantage with many fewer moving parts. Rollei made a close focusing attachment called the rolleinar which allowed closer focusing and somewhat compensated for parallax but I don't know if it would work for you. Mamiya made a very tough series of interchangeable lens (but heavy) TLR's with bellows which may focus as closely as you want but parallax is still an issue. The Pentax 6x7 uses an electronic focal plane shutter (simpler system than between the lens shutters) and had a pretty good reputation for ruggedness and reliability but no one would ever call it light weight. <br>

Having said all that I understand you point about needing bust level portraits and needing to frame accurately. As far as I am aware the medium format camera hasn't been made which does what you want to do. If you work is going to be in remote areas, photographers who have done this type of work in the past have used 35mm rangefinders or slr's , thrown an extra body in their bag for backup and lived with the limitations of the smaller format. Of course if you are going to be accessible to urban areas with repair shops or have Fed EX available to them you may be only out of commission with the MF stuff for a couple of weeks if it breaks. I would want two lenses, if one lens breaks at least you can still photograph wit the other.<br>

It sounds like an exciting project, and I don't want you to end up depending on digital if your heart is in film. FWIW If you want digital, the current Fuji X system is capable of amazing results in a very compact package - there isn't really a need to "wait" for full frame which will be bigger and heavier. </p>

I am going to give you a recommendation based not on objective considerations of efficiency and comfort, but fun.

Pentax 6x7 with TTL and any of the nice 2.8 or 2.4 lenses, or a 67II with auto exposure. Big, yes. Heavy, yes. Too

heavy? That's up to you. I would get one overhauled before taking it, and run at least five rolls of test film through it

before the trip. I'd also locate en route labs to keep track of any issues, as a previous poster said. I took one to Alaska

and Puerto Rico in a backpack with a spare lens and supplies. I also had a mechanical self timer to use with mirror lock

up.

The pitchforks and torches should arrive within a few minutes...

<p>You could be a little daring and challenge yourself: use only one focal length, which will keep your equipment to a minimum. Some photographers relish this limit, but some do not like it. I'm not advocating this strategy but if I only had one focal length to work with, I think I'd be comfortable enough.</p>

<p>So you could take, hypothetically, two Hasselblad bodies, a couple of backs, and one 80mm lens (plus a back-up if you wanted). It's not lightweight but you'll get very, very nice images from that simple kit.</p>

• 2 weeks later...