Exposure lock -- perminant

richard_dulkin

<p>I own two Nikon d-700s and a d-750. All my photographic work is done in the studio (95%+) with strobe lights. These are Paul C Buff Einstein 640s six of them. The lighting in the studio is controlled by a commander unit for PCB also such that when the duties of these units are reconfigured the lighting always comes out for an exposure of 1/200 sec @ f/9. So all three of bodies with their different lenses start of at that correnct exposure.<br>

Here is the problem, those pesky front and rear command wheels on the Nikon camera bodies get changed during the photo session with a model. It is done in handling the cameras and since I am not a pic peeper between each shot, the exposure gets changed. Is there a way to lock the exposure <strong>permanently</strong> on those Nikon bodies. I am from the old school with Rollie-Cords, Hasselblads, etc. that had EV locks on them. You had to physically change those settiings by design rather than by accident.<br>

It would seemed that the digitally and electronically controls camera would have an area where you could permanently lock onto a predetermined exposure!<br>

Richard, the Rad Rascal</p>

<p>Some Nikon DSLRs have a lock button (designated "L") which allows you to lock a number of parameters so that they cannot be changed without releasing the lock. You can use this to lock shutter speed and aperture; I do this when working in the studio. Press L and turn the dial that controls the parameter that you want to lock by one click. To release the lock, do the same again. The D3 series and the D810 at least have this feature (in the D810 I've reprogrammed the record button to the Lock function).</p>

<p>Looks like the shutter/aperture lock menu option has been omitted from the D750. Taping over the command wheels might be the only way to disable them on this camera. Takes me back to the days of taping the X-M flash-synch lever in the X position on Compur shutters - except there were many more ways to screw up in those times.</p>

<p>I am afraid that exposure locking such a Custom Setting f8 on the D700 is available on the "pro" bodies only. On the D2 and D3, etc., there is a dedicated L (lock) button. I just checked the D750 and D7200, and I wasn't able to find that Custom Setting. If I overlooked something, please point it out.</p>

<p>i have been taking photos in some rough conditions..this has never happened to me with nikon.<br /> with canon yes, the wheel of doom does do weird things if not locked.</p>

<p>in a studio..<br /> what is it that you are doing i wonder? <br /> well..i guess somethings must not be told anyway ;)</p>

<p>go for the tape, that does always help.<br /> i would recomment something that does not have the strongest glue ever.</p>

<p>there are those textile based duct tapes, that are quite similar to gaffer's tape but do have a somewhat smooth<br /> surface.<br /> they do not leave tons of glue when removed from the camera.</p>

<p>i do not now the name but hope you have an idea for what you might wanna look out instead of gaffer's tape.</p>

<p>good luck</p>