Battery performance

joseph_mcdonald

<p>Earlier, someone posted that their battery pack wasn't being recognized the camera. I experienced a similar issue with my D600 and MB-D14. NSC Los Angeles informed me that only high performance Lithium batteries should be used. They installed some and it worked well.<br>

I use Sanyo Eneloop NiMH units in my speedlight and was wondering if they would be up to the task for use in my MB-D14 when I'm out and about? </p>

<p>What is it with Nikon's power management?</p>

<p>http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Battery-Holders/MB-D14-Multi-Battery-Power-Pack.html</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The MB-D14 Multi-Power Battery Pack can be powered either by <em><strong>six</strong></em> AA batteries (Alkaline or Ni-MH or Lithium), or EN-EL 15 rechargeable Li-ion batteries. To use the MB-D14 with AA batteries, use the MS-D14 AA Battery Holder. When using EN-EL15 batteries to power the MB-D14, use the MS-D14EN Battery Holder.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Without being cynical, I'd guess maybe NSC Los Angeles have a higher profit margin with Lithium batteries?</p>

<p>I use Eneloops sometimes in my MB-D10, when my EnEl4's on the charger. So yes, I trust them to work OK.</p>

<p>If it doesn't work with the batteries that Nikon recommends, I'd be miffed. Sure, maybe don't expect Zinc Carbon to provide quite enough juice to be recognised (as Nikon say), but both Alkaline & NiMH cells should be absolutely fine.</p>

<p>Mind you, their own literature also says it uses 6, yes that's <strong>SIX</strong>,<strong> </strong>AA cells in the MS-D14 AA Battery Holder, so just how much do you trust them?? (......it takes 8)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>lithium batteries or rechargable batteries do almost deliver the power they should. with nimh rechargable batteries it usually is about 15% less of power than it is supposed to be.<br /> maybe this is the reason why nikon says go for the lithium. there's a difference in pricing though.</p>

<p>i have no experience with digital cameras but i used to have a winder for my nikon f100 and i used niMH rechargable batteries and it worked fine.</p>

<p>i quit it as fast as i could because one does produce a lot of waste...</p>

<p>what matt wrote above made me smile and i think it is great fun.<br /> 6 vs 8 batteries..hmm..well..hope they somehow forget the last 0 in the prize of my camera to be, the d5 when i buy one in about a year or so......</p>

<p>mistakes of that sort are..well..i would consider them likeable :D</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em><strong>mistakes of that sort</strong></em> are..well..i would consider them likeable :D</p>

</blockquote>

<p>What like MATT or rather Mike, would never make..:-)</p>

<p>I prefer the rechargeables that have a considerable shelf life post-charge, ie a low self-discharge rate.</p>

<p>The other ones go in 'dumb' flashes that don't think or calculate anything but just take too long to illuminate the 'ready' lamp to indicate a reload is necessary.</p>

<p>I don't have a D600, but using 8 AA batteries, mainly rechargeables including Eneloops, on the MB-D10 for the D800 and D700 works quite well for me.</p>

<p>The main issue is that AA are not "smart" batteries with electronics inside so that they cannot communicate with the DSLR on battery life/charge remaining, at least not very accurately.</p>

<p>In my experience, NiMH rechargeables work fine in the MB-D12 (D800/D810, 8 cells) and the MB-D15 (D7100, 6 cells) as well as the MB-D10 (D700, 8 cells). The setup menus for all of these cameras have a setting to tell the camera what kind of AA cell is installed in the grip. Nikon wouldn't provide this menu setting if NiMH batteries weren't compatible.</p>

<p>In addition, the NiMH cells are quite capable of providing increased frame rates for those bodies that support it (D810, D700)</p>

<p>Norbert misspoke, perhaps due to a language barrier, when he said "nimh rechargable batteries it usually is about 15% less of power than it is supposed to be." - Working NiMH batteries provide exactly the voltage they are supposed to provide. The peak voltage when new or freshly charged might be less than alkaline cells (~1.4 vs. ~1.6) but the power curve and total amount of power available from NiMH cells is favorable. If I use alkaline cells in the grip, they are last far less than NiMH cells do.<br>

<br>

I've no doubt that the Sanyo Eneloop batteries are up to the task in your MB-D14.<br>

</p>

<p>Again, Nikon loaded my MB-D14 with 6 lithiums for free. I thought that was nice of them.</p>

<p>Shun's comment about alkalines not being "smart" was interesting. I can't remember if I tested them when I pulled them out but the menu showed them as dead after a short (I thought) time and the camera was using the EN-EL15 right up.</p>

<p>I bought the MB-D14 because I occasionally travel to some out-of-the-way places and don't want to worry about batteries. Same with my SB-910, don't want to eat up the EN-EL15 by powering a flash. I'll nab more Eneloops and try them out. As always, thanks for everyone's input.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Again, Nikon loaded my MB-D14 with 6 lithiums for free</p>

</blockquote>

<p>...and you had to pay for the other two? Seriously, it takes 8 ..No?</p>

<p>...and you didn't mention the <em>FOR FREE</em> bit. Wow!</p>

<p>________</p>

<p>Norbert, no worries. We're all* slaves to caffeine.</p>

<p>*..maybe not <strong>all</strong>, but the majority...:-)</p>

<p>It takes six. </p>

<p>I dropped my D600 off at NSC LA because of the perceived problem with the MB-D14. They called the next day and told me it was ready.</p>

<p>They explained to me the need for lithium units. They also replaced the shutter. All for free. I've actually had some very good experiences with Nikon service.</p>

<p>Sorry Guys! My mistake..Doh!</p>

<p>A 'friend' (ex!) of mine told me the AA battery tray for the D600 was interchangeable with the one for the D700, ie the MS-D10 for the MB-D10 grip. I had a look at a picture of said MS-D14 and indeed it looked the case. They appear identical.</p>

<p>Sadly, I was wrong...:-(</p>

<p>I wonder why they chose to 'limit' it to 6? I know 6 x 1.2v = 7.2v for NiMH, ie just over the 7v voltage of an EnEl15, but equally it's happy with 6 x 1.5v = 9v for Alkaline or Lithium.</p>

<p>Maybe it's to differentiate it from the pro MB-D12 for the 800 series that takes 8 x AA but also takes the EnEL15?</p>

<p>Anyway, sorry again for causing confusion. I should have checked my sources better.</p>

<p> </p>