Weekly Post-Processing Challenge - 2 Aug 2015

<p>Another excellent choice, Rick.</p>

<p>In PSE11, I cropped out the small tree and quite a bit of sky. I then adjusted the shadows and highlights with levels. Using Color EFEX, pro contrast helped to correct color cast and put the finishing touch on tonal levels. Finally, I used Viveza to accent the large tree.</p><div>00dQ42-557866784.jpg.4998796ba4065852edd6c285b790dbd6.jpg</div>

<p>I recomposed by cropping the image, cutting and placing the left tree, cloned out right tree. Blended the composition with the mixer brush and layers. Cloned branches to the left of the tree. Adjusted color and lighting in Topaz Adjust. Made final color and lighting adjustments in Color Efex. Added birds with PS brush. Sharpened.</p><div>00dQ4S-557867784.jpg.7b771f21860efcef75315ca8321364bf.jpg</div>

<p>I like the photo with it's muted pastel colors, but wanted to add something to the mostly blank middle section. So, I located an old photo of mine of cows in fog and overlayed a few cows using a "soft light" adjustment layer in Photoshop CS5 with 40% opacity and 44% fill. Then I added a graduated neutral density filter to the top portion and adjusted hue/saturation slightly, cropped the image to reduce the amount of sky, and called it good. Line's addition of birds to the sky was a good choice.</p><div>00dQ4V-557867984.jpg.dbacc3b45dc53f4a588db386f20cfd67.jpg</div>

<p>Can't help but wonder about what I assume are two deliberate choices made by the photographer -severe underexposure and the choice to not include either tree fully in the frame. The first is correctable, the second IMHO fatal.<br /> In any case, I basically just corrected exposures and adjusted curves in ACR - and a bit of polishing thereafter in Perfect Effects (darkened midtones, and warmed up the sky). Cropped to 16:9 to eliminate some sky. Forgot to apply the CCW rotation to straighten out the windmill.</p><div>00dQ4b-557868184.jpg.0ab5c59211279a35b7a81dd87c9e3244.jpg</div>

<p>Dieter<br>

Sorry you feel that way. IMHO - I think you missed the idea of this forum, perhaps one of these would be better suited for your wants:<br>

<a href="/photo-critique-forum/">http://www.photo.net/photo-critique-forum/</a><br>

<a href="/photo-of-the-week-discussion-forum/">http://www.photo.net/photo-of-the-week-discussion-forum/</a><br>

<a href="/philosophy-of-photography-forum/">http://www.photo.net/philosophy-of-photography-forum/</a><br>

On the other hand, you could always start the next Challenge. We are always looking for volunteers to post.<br>

Rick</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi Rick:<br /> First time participating in this forum so let me know if i'm off base with this post. I used Lightroom and Ps for editing.<br /> I liked the visual layering provided by the inclusion of the trees. I also loved the tonality of the image. It looks quite different on my portable vs my desktop; so, I'm kinda stabbing in the dark making adjustments to the tonality.<br /> I cropped to 1:1 using content aware scale to keep both trees in. I thought I'd like the light to come primarily from the right so I converted to 8bit and used lighting effects in the filters gallery to put the main light to come from the right at a low angle. I also added a bit of orange/yellow to that lighting effect. I used High Pass sharpening to try to make the tree on the left look better defined. I'm iffy as to whether that was a good idea.<br /> Next was the obligatory border (for me) and back to Lightroom for export.<br /> Lots of fun.<br /> Regards</p>

<p> </p><div>00dQ89-557875484.jpg.981a123a17e71f6baf52dc38d5aa0bbd.jpg</div>

<p>Hi Rick, I have figured out how to contribute to WPPC, but I wouldn't have a clue as to how to start a new thread. If you could give advice for "Dummies" I might at some point be able to give you an image to play with. Assuming I'm not the only technophobe out here it could result in more volunteers. Cheers Gerald. </p>

<p>Gerald & anyone else who is interested. This is a three step process.<br>

<strong>1 - Application process</strong><br>

I ask for a volunteer to start the next challenge (usually on Thursday). The first one to respond wins. No one steps up, its my choice for the next one.</p>

<p><strong>2 - Image process</strong><br>

If you win you will need to have two jpeg images. Images are to be raw (unaltered that is), one sized for the forum display (700 pixels long axis) the other the original size.</p>

<p><strong>3 - Posting process</strong><br>

The winner starts the next challenge typically on Sunday morning, (though sometimes late Saturday night works better for the poster).</p>

<p> On the Digital forum main page, look at the upper right. Click on the <strong>Post Question</strong> link. Make sure in the subject you let us know its the challenge. When you hit post button you will be asked to attach an image, use the small (700 pixel ) jpeg.</p>

<p> Respond to your new thread and post the large (original sized) jpeg. If you haven't done this before, don't worry about the (sometimes) long time it takes to upload. Also, it will not be displayed, just the link.</p>

<p><strong>4 - optional</strong><br>

Sit back & enjoy the show.</p>

<p>Hope that helps & feel free to PM me if you want more info.</p>