PHOTO ASSISTANTS NEEDED GRAFMATIC LOADING AND 4X5 AND POLAROID HANDLING

william_littman1

Sorry, but I was in the HPM booth at the NY show and no one could have given you a card that I was with a different

company. So you are completely wrong about that.

As for Dodgers and Yankees. That has no relationship to what I do in retirement. And Donny baseball is the Dodgers

manager and his career was with the Yankees as a player and a bench coach.

In fact Mattingly went to the Dodgers with Joe Torre, the former Yankee manager who became the Dodger manager.

Mattingly replaced Torre when he left the Dodgers.

Since Mattingly played for the Yankees for his entire 14 year career and since Torre was most successful as a Yankee

manager your analogy isn't very good.

Be it as it may. I am going to ignore this from now on. I suspect that he originally posted this as a hidden ad for his

cameras. Especially since he has not answered :

1: what it pays that someone else asked

2: where it is available

3: why it would not be available through traditional sources.

So, good luck with it, should it come to be.

<p>English being a second language didn't prevent me from seeing there was a suspicion in the tone of the questioning which refers to competitiveness and retirement doesn't change the alertness of " he's up to something".<br>

The forum allows announcements on products and trying to get assistants does not bring attention to a product.<br>

Mr Salomon is retired and I have retired a long time ago from trying to make points.<br>

True that a straight line may be the closest distance between two points but at a risk of sounding reiterative what is relevant to 4x5 hand held is no longer a necessity so in a way<br>

what most consider " what's the point" ? is agreed pointless and so the plain English of the marketing of products by points ( in the traditional sense) is now IMHO pointless.<br>

The only thing which hasn't changed is that after more than 40 years of photography The fewer pictures I have done with 4x5 have something which all the pushbutton and levers and screens of other options cant give me and which interests me but I cannot justify it as a recommendation to others in the way I would have spoken 5-10 years ago because the reccomendations of yesteryear made sense from a commercial perspective in a world with lesser options it was a choice between "this and that" in order to get a result and an income.<br>

The formula no longer makes sense in a world where you have to evaluate an effort a cost and an expectation for a return but the business has changed . The expectations are different.<br>

Another thing is that having made only a few cameras if they had been bought by people out of curiosity they would have used it a few times and then put it in the attic which is what happened when Polaroid was first introduced.<br>

Trust is important. I trust those who seek my product are comfortable as theirs is an informed choice and I speak the language they understand which is that of artistic pursuit.<br>

Don't get me wrong there are combinations of high quality and convenience which can amount to a very lucrative scenario for a photographer but he is the one who knows.<br>

I am going to make a few more cameras otherwise Im engaged in my photography and the camera subject interests me for only two reasons<br>

a the results it can give<br>

b an interest in design <br>

the rest doesn't matter to me why should I insist it should matter to others?<br>

thank you</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The whole idea is to work fast. most big photographers in the city have assistant crews of 10 guys and up and shooting digital . film crews are huge just to shoot a couple of people because you don't have all day just to fiddle. Perhaps readers see this and find it silly as they calculate it as what they would do/ what it would take if they were the ones taking a shot with a grafmatic.<br /> back in the day anyone who shot 4x5 with regular holders regardless of the type of camera would have a separate holders crew so their speed of work resembled medium format as much as possible.<br /> You don't have to shoot a lot of film but you may want to if its amazing. sometimes ive done shoots with a couple of sheets per model change and sometimes ive done 5-10 shots of the same never more but sometimes I have to change film type or rate differently and so important not to be distracted. If you embark on such effort likely a client is paying and so It is important that it looks organized .<br /> Also because back in the day you usedthe polaroid to check lighting and composition and now you use the digital for that and then you use the large format so your main guys are working on the shot as you usualy work and you need a crew to match the LF to that because most likely the 4x5 will be either the most significant shots of the job or the personal project side of the job but most will shoot film and digital concurrently and that is why you need two crews . Its not obligatory but a good idea .</p>

<p>Dan My grandfather was Evita's official photographer as in " don't cry for me Argentina Evita."<br>

His name was AAron but his birth cert reads " Guillermo" as in Canada and other countries it wasn't legal to use foreign languages in official document's such as birth certs . When we were in Canada a few years back at the set of Stallone's Movie DRIVEN there were signs on the street stating that signage in English at your own risk with a penalty of fine.<br>

its like if your name was Charles and you have to put down Carlos on paper </p>

<p>>>His name was AAron but his birth cert reads " Guillermo" as in Canada and other countries it wasn't legal to use foreign languages in official document's such as birth certs . When we were in Canada a few years back at the set of Stallone's Movie DRIVEN there were signs on the street stating that signage in English at your own risk with a penalty of fine.</p>

<p><a href="https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/2646052074/00e2fa97492b9ea2369c5238f70e0a60.jpeg">*click*</a></p>

<p>So there was a sign ordinance that has now been modified, and was in effect for a few years, but how you conflate that with no names on birth certs that are "foreign" I don't get. You may not be able to write the terms of a recorded Deed of Trust or other official document in a foreign language, but that's not going to apply to a name. Utter nonsense. Particularly, unless you are a native Canadian Indian, all names are "foreign". Please show some proof that you can't have a "foreign" name on a birth certificate.</p>

<p>surely not the case in Canada or US but Argentina has suffered many Military nationalist dictatorships who labeled anything foreign as " imperialist" way into the 90s and put in place arbitrary laws which made no sense but I agree with Mr de Bakker in that this is a Photography forum and shouldn't be rated on English skills. There are some great photographers who's first language is English but the relevant language imho should be visual and the spoken language to support the visuals instead of an ensuing evaluation of care versus carefulness and cost as if the end result doesn't matter then the cell phone suffices and any argument is purely anecdotic.</p>

<p>Rodio Joe: I am trying to simplify my 4x5 kit through reduction of bulk and weight. One thing I am looking at is the use of Grafmatics instead of double dark slide film holders.</p>

<p>I posted a question about the pros and cons of Grafmatics on the Large Format Photography website (dot info) this morning and got a number of constructive responses, both pro and con. </p>

<p>None of the Cons mentioned anything about light leaks not related to sloppy usage( also applicable to double film holders). None of the Con remarks spoke of any non-standard register or back focus problems.<br>

Can youhelp me with this by please clarify your remarks?</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>"<em>if septums aren't straight sometimes and film doesn't register flat, and the septums get jammed up inside the holder and that film number wheel is obnoxious.</em><br>

<em><br /></em>Ok, now I understand the concern about registeration. these seem to be problems associated with damaged septums. <br>

From other posts, it seems that the magazines were designed and manufactured to be fully compatible with camera backs designed for standard double-dark-slide film holders.</p>

<p>I am still undecided on this due to weight considerations. My goal is to lower the weight of my 4x5 outfit. While Grafmatic magazines will reduce the bulk, but not the weight and will add complexity to the workflow.<br /><br /><br>

So maybe not . . .</p>

<p>drew:</p>

<p>that is my experience, i am not sure what the other person's experience might be with non-flat registration. good luck !<br>

... if i was to rent a camera and a dozen grafmatics, i would make sure before i rented anything that everything was perfect [ flat septums, perfect film registration, no leaks, no jams ] before i took money ... i've rented / borrowed gear for projects that was less than optimal, and it wasn't fun.</p>

<p>J nanian" I see what you mean.<br>

In any case, I am a low volume visyal artist working in large format photography. I own my gear and have never rented . For that matter, I've never worked with an assistant for loading film or hauling around my gear.</p>

<p>I work in a traditional way with wooden field cameras (a Zone VI and a Kodak 2D) mounted on tripods. I would like to do some hand-held shooting to give my work a different look. I have thought about a Polaroid 110B based 4x5 camera, but they have been pretty high for me in the past and even now. I am hoping for a Wanderlust Travelwide (a P&S) later this year.</p>

<p>drew:</p>

<p>you might also consider contacting bostic and sullivan. they used to sell a camera called a "hobo" which was a big LF ( hyperfocal? 4x5 & 8x10 ) handheld p/s if your wanderlust doesn't work out. they don't sell the hobos anymore ( must have been a early 2000s thing ) but they might know of people who know people ... who bought and want to sell ... i also work with big old ( or not so old ) cameras, including 19th c p/s cameras that need or don't need tripods, and have landscape meniscus (wolloston meniscus type) lenses asd well as hand held press camera type things that are a PITA and require focusing. my fave is a graflex slr .. easy, versatile, handheld, not too $$ barrel lenses, film holders or bag mags or plate ... big but perfectly weighted ( so it seems small )<br>

good luck !</p>