Best polarizer filter for Mamiya 7 II 65 mm F4 L lens?

<p>John, I don't know about best from an optical viewpoint, but the Mamiya ZE702 polarizing filter has the advantage of being useable on your Mamiya optics with 58mm filter thread (65 and 80mm lenses) as well as having an adapter for 67mm threaded lenses. As such, I find it useful for each of my Mamiya 6 lenses and that camera (essentially similar to the 7).</p>

<p>The advantage of the Mamiya filter is that it uses a previewing arm that allows you to lift the filter up so that you can view it from an eye position over the top of the camera (and not through the VF) and see the effect of the filter when it is adjusted (rotated) and then lower the filter (with that desired setting) down to its final adjusted position in front of the lens, without changing the chosen setting.</p>

<p>It is discontinued I believe, but quite available on the well know auction site in new or mint condition for between about 100 and 200 dollars.</p>

<p>Most filters are somewhat loose in their frames, however B+W Kaesemann filters are glued in place. You can mark the moveable ring (e.g., white or silver marker pen) at the top when the filter has maximum effect on reflections from an horizontal non-metallic surface.</p>

<p>With the filter removed from your Mamiya 7, orient the filter by hand for the desired effect, note the position of the mark, and restore that position once the filter is attached to the lens. This procedure is time consuming, but that is the price to pay for the inability to view through the lens.</p>

<p>Leica has an interesting approach for M cameras. The filter is hinged so you can lift it 180 degrees and look through it to set the desired effect, then close it again without disturbing the setting. This works only for linear filters, since circular polarizers only work one direction. Naturally this filter has a Leica price of over $500 at B&H.</p>

<p>Edward and John, </p>

<p>The ZE702 is an extremely well made product, as fine or better than my 13352 Leica swing-out Leica polarizer. It is a bargain at its price and the only quite minor difference between the two is that when swung up the Mamiya is viewed from above the top of your camera (view centered above the lens axis) rather than through the VF. As for the Leica (unless one is using a TTL metered Leica RF), the filter factor is between 1.5 and 2 stops, which must be added to exposure times. I wouldn't suggest using a normal non swing-up polarizer filter as it is arduous in any attempt to make a critical correction of glare and less precise.</p>

<p>Edward,</p>

<p>It works very well indeed and lots of used ones in mint or new condition available on the Bay.</p>

<p>Close ups are better of course with the Pentax 67II or Fuji 680 SLRs (for similar 6x7 or larger format) although the Mamiya device with parallax correction works OK for occasional moderate close-ups using the normal focal length lens, but that is a less useful investment in my opinion than the swing-up polarizer.</p>