Contax G2 -- 2015 and beyond servicing questions

<p>I'm considering buying a Contax G2 after becoming interested in shooting film again. I read that Contax committed to offering parts only until 2015 and am trying to get a little more information on the reality and wisdom of owning a camera with no manufacturer support<br>

Basically, how likely are there to be available parts and how easily are they to get in the US? I'd like to think I can get five years of use from the gear. Is this feasible?<br>

When buying used, are there any particular things to watch for? I'd probably buy from KEH rather than eBay.<br>

Thank you,<br />Robert Ades</p>

<p> </p>

<p><strong>Nippon Photo Clinic</strong><br /> <strong>37 West 39th Street, Suite # 401</strong><br /> <strong>New York, NY 10018</strong><br /> <strong>(212) 736-4663</strong><br /> Above is the new contact for Contax, service, since ToCad America changed their priorities..<br /> The G2 is awesome. Just remember to train your thumb to operate the focus lock on the back of the camera. Do that, and operations will meld. Thumb! Focus lock!<br>

Read:<br>

http://www.botzilla.com/blog/archives/000378.html</p>

<p>As of June 1, Tocad America would no longer be affiliated with the servicing of all Contax-Yashica equipment. Kyocera has been winding down their Service Agreement with Tocad America and will soon be transferring all related parts & equipment to Nippon Camera in NYC. Sad but true on April Fools Day. I recently picked up my Contax 645 System that went out to Japan for its final servicing. Now i must baby my treasure...</p>

<p>Directly from Tocad's website: http://www.tocad.com/serviceandsupport.html</p>

<h2>Services</h2>

<table width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tbody>

<tr>

<td align="left">

<p><strong>IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING CONTAX SERVICE</strong><br>

<strong>Effective April 1, 2015 ToCAD America will cease service of all Contax equipment.</strong><br>

<strong>Beginning April 1st, please send all Contax units for repair to:</strong><br>

<strong>Nippon Photo Clinic</strong><br>

<strong>37 West 39th Street, Suite # 401</strong><br>

<strong>New York, NY 10018</strong><br>

<strong>(212) 736-4663</strong><br /><br>

<br>

ToCAD America Inc. provides service, support and parts for the following product lines in and out of warranty: <br>

• Contax cameras, lenses and accessories<br>

• Sunpak flash, tripods, filters and accessories<br>

• Hakuba tripods, cases and accessories<br>

• eneloop batteries and chargers<br>

• LensPen lens cleaners<br>

• Trek-Tech TrekPods<br>

• Panasonic batteries</p>

<p>For in warranty service please provide:<br>

• Sales receipt<br>

• Warranty card<br>

• Description of problem<br>

• Name and address<br>

• Daytime telephone number<br>

• Email address. </p>

<p>For out of warranty service, please provide:<br>

• Description of problem<br>

• Name and address<br>

• Daytime telephone number<br>

• Email address.</p>

<p>Send the product insured for full value to:<br>

ToCAD America Inc.<br>

53 Green Pond Road<br>

Rockaway, New Jersey 07866<br>

United States of America<br>

Attention: Service Department </p>

<p>Upon receipt, the product will be inspected. If the product is classified as under warranty, the item will automatically be serviced to factory specifications and returned without any intervention on your part. Please allow 10 to 15 working days from the time of receipt by ToCAD America Inc. for repair and shipping. If the product is not considered to be under warranty due to warranty period, damage, requested documentation not provided, incomplete or incorrect, a customer order number and estimate will be provided for repair. <br>

Note: Contax N Digital, RTS III, U4R, I4R, SL300R T* and TVS Digital cameras and 645 lenses are sent to Contax Japan for estimate, approval and repair. This process can take up to 90 days. An estimate is provided free of cost even in the event the unit is not approved for repair.<br>

Once ToCAD America, Inc. receives your product for repair, please allow five working days for receipt of a customer order number and estimate. Once you receive the estimate, you may approve it by:<br>

• Sending a check or money order in the amount stated on the repair estimate (please include the customer order number on your check or money order)<br>

• Fax your approval to 973-664-2438 with a credit card number, expiration date and signature (please include your customer order number)<br>

• Email your approval to info@tocad.com with a credit card number, expiration date (please include your customer order number)<br>

• Call 973-627-9600, ext. 110 with a credit card and your customer order number.<br>

Upon receiving your payment, repair and shipping time normally takes from 10 to 15 working days from the date of payment.</p>

<p>Please note: Contax T, T-VS, 137MA, 137MD, 139Q, 159MM, 167MT, RTS and RTS II are not serviced by ToCAD America Inc. due to limited parts availability. <br>

We recommend contacting: <br>

Nippon Photo Clinic<br>

37 West 39th Street<br>

Suite 401<br>

New York, New York 10018<br>

United States of America<br>

<br>

They have extensive expertise on repairing the models listed and offer repairs limited to the parts that they have available.</p>

<p>Contax repair and replacement parts can be ordered by: <br>

• Phone 973-627-9600<br>

• Fax 973-664-2438<br>

• Email info@tocad.com.<br>

Express shipments are available and are quoted on a request basis.</p>

<p>Instruction Manuals Current Contax products manuals can be down loaded at www.contaxusa.com at no charge. All available original instructions manuals not available through our web site are a flat fee of $14.00 and include shipping and handling when available. <br>

They can be ordered by: <br>

• Phone 973-627-9600 ext. 115<br>

• Fax 973-664-2438<br>

• Email info@tocad.com</p>

</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<tbody>

<tr>

<td valign="top" width="25%"> </td>

<td valign="top" width="75%"> </td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<tbody>

<tr>

<td valign="top" width="100%"> </td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<p>Watch out for LCD's that "bleed" obscuring the information on them. It's the only problem I've seen on them. I've had mine for ten years working without a hitch. As in all used gear, buy the best condition you can afford. Great camera and lenses!</p>

<p>Bought mine new in 1998, haven't had any LCD issues. Last year I sent mine to ToCad for a CLA, the viewfinder cropping blades went out of whack, they fixed it, and checked it all out for $184.00. So that was 16 years of pictures with the G2.</p>