Did Lightroom 6 increase in speed for you?

<p>Last week I upgraded to Lightroom 6 (not the CC version). Everything I see says it's faster... to the contrary it's SO MUCH slower for me that now to edit my pictures I start up a movie to keep me entertained while waiting for all the pauses between everything I do.</p>

<p>My computer is a 1 year old alienware, 8 Gigs memory, NVidia 765M GTX, Intel i7 2.4GHz - 3.4GHz w/6GB cache, running Windows 7, I have a 1TB 7200 RPM Hard drive that's 40% free. </p>

<p>Lightroom 5.7 used to take about 3 seconds for a 1:1 preview to display now it's taking about 12-15 seconds. That is I hit the right arrow to see the next picture and 12-15 seconds it shows up. Clicking crop was instant, now when I click crop I wait 6 seconds before I get the crop tool and it seems buggy, screen goes black and shows me the picture settings in the middle, then forms a gray block with a cross pattern where the picture was, then it's replaced with the picture, then some seconds later finally the crop box comes up and I can crop. I find often there is an issue with the thumbnail and the picture I'm working on. That is, if I want to click on the thumbnail in the top left side to magnify the main image so I can lighten teeth that thumbnail is often a completely different picture than the one I'm working on. I have to click on a new picture and click back to the old pic to get the thumbnail and main synchronized.</p>

<p>Lightroom 5.7 was probably 6x faster and responsive and no issues. Lightroom 6 I'm finding so much less responsive, it's crashed at least once every time I use it, and just buggy in general. Anyone else find it buggy and much slower?</p>

<p>For me it feels hardly faster than version 4 but this is probably due to my graphics card. There are problems with some graphics cards; if this is the case Graphics card acceleration is not supported/switched off. I'm still in the trial period but already waiting for an upgrade :-)</p>

<p>No, it feels slower in a number of areas with GPU set for <strong>on</strong>, a tad faster set for <strong>off </strong>compared to LR5.7 on Mac<strong>.</strong> Launching even with preferences set for no splash screen or looking for update didn't help in that area. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>Just checked the 1:1 preview zoom from Fit In Screen and it takes about 2 to 3 seconds in LR4.4 on a 64bit 2010 Mac Mini with 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB RAM and 256MB shared NVIDIA video memory in OS 10.6.8.</p>

<p>So yeah, that's pretty slow for such an advanced LR upgrade with that much hardware horsepower.</p>

<p>Sorry to hear that. I skipped LR 5 after the trial period because it wasn't enough better than LR 4. I was about to pull the trigger on LR 6 but I think I'll wait a bit. My PC is comparable to Matt's.</p>

<p>Not sure if it's related, but I recall back in 2012 that upgrading from LR 3 to 4 seemed to drag down the overall speed for a few days. After that it was reasonably quick (tho' never as quick as the response times I've seen on some Lightroom video tutorials). I'm guessing it took awhile to catalog everything, ingest data or whatever the heck it does to make the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs.</p>

<p>Make sure you're not using the face detection, address lookup, or sync to mobile features. These three background processes will suck the life out of Lightroom. Left-click on the Lightroom logo in the top-left and a drop-down will give you the status of each. AFAIK, this is the only place where you can start or stop these services.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Make sure you're not using the face detection, address lookup, or sync to mobile features."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Ah, interesting. Picasa has face recognition and sync, but it doesn't bog down perceptibly, even on my low end laptop. There are times when I wish Google would turn Picasa into a serious competitor to Lightroom. Picasa runs very efficiently in most ways, but it lacks good raw handling capability and serious editing tools for white balance, noise reduction and sharpening.</p>