-good AF

-good metering

-compact

-quiet

-non electronic cable release

-compact if possible

can I find this in a pentax camera... the website is not all to keen

to give a good list of details, nor can I find a wide comparison

between camera's with these "high" end features. Any idea's, links...

Pentax offers four cameras with the features you requested except those noted.

LX-manual focus only

MX-manual focus only

PZ-1/p. Not compact and uses an electrical cable release

MZ-S. Uses an electrical cable release.

I met a fellow who makes a psedo manual to Pentax electrical shutter release (it would work with the PZ-1/p). I don't have his name, but he sells a fair bit at eBay.

Personally I highly recommend the MZ-S. But it doesn't have the electrical shutter release.

Anything above the Rebel series in the Canon line will have these features, except for the non-electronic cable release. Personally, I find an electronic cable release to be far superior to any mechanical cable release.

The first factor is flexibility/bendability. There isn't any mechanical cable release approaching the flexibility and bendability of an electronic cable release. If you've ever used headphones for a walkman or an earpiece for a cell phone, it's the same degree of bendability. You can wrap the whole thing up and stick it in your shirt pocket. The end result of this bendability is that it isolates all hand vibration/movement from the camera. And you can hold the release anywhere because it is so flexible. I often hold the remote down at waste-level because it is less fatiguing and more comfortable at that position.

That brings us to the length of the cable release. Take a look at a release like the Canon RS-60E3 for a camera such as the Elan II/IIe, Elan 7/7e, Rebel-series. It's two feet of flexible wire. You can wrap the cable around the remote and hold the entire thing in the palm of your hand. And two feet on an electronic release is 'longer' than two feet on a mechanical release because you don't have to take into account the gradual arc of the stiffer mechanical release as it leaves its socket. With the electronic release, it'll do a straight shot from where it's plugged in.

There's also the fact that you can activate autofocus with the electronic cable release with a half press just like a regular shutter button. This is great for when the camera is mounted on a tripod and the subject has moved a bit. You can half press the remote button to re-focus the camera without touching the camera. This is also good when it's freezing outside and you have your hands tucked in your pocket, along with the remote. And if you go with Canon Eye Control, you can change focus sensors and activate autofocus without touching the camera or raising your hand to the camera's shutter button.

I also find locking and releasing the electronic cable release (for bulb exposures) to be much easier. For most mechanical cable releases, it's usually a two-handed operation because locking is done via a collar. With an electronic cable release, locking is a one-handed operation. On the Canon cable release, for example, it's simply a matter of pressing the remote button down and sliding it forward.

Finally, there's the cost factor. A high quality cable release that is as long as an electronic release like the Canon, but not nearly as flexible or capable, will cost you around $40 or more. You can buy cheaper ones, but they will be shorter, stiffer, and of lower quality. The RS-60 E3 costs around $20.

Unless you have a specific need for a mechanical cable release, consider an electronic cable release. They're light, flexible, long, don't require a battery, and are a great value.

I think you will find all of your specifications in just about any high-end camera - except non electronic cable release. And why would anyone want that? The mechanical cables are cheaper and maybe a bit easier to attach, but they are nowhere near as useful as an electronic cable release. And why is that? Well, first of all you use a cable release to avoid touching your camera during exposure, but with a mechanical release you are actually transferring a little mechanical force from your hand to the camera (the cable "stiffens" a bit) whereas the electronic cable is as limp as ever. That's not a big issue though. Secondly, there's so much more you can do electronically! Think of all the electronic contraptions you can make to let your camera go off in the event of, e.g., sounds, leopards crossing IR-beams, flashes of lightning etc. In fact, I haven't bought a Nikon cable release as such, but the MC-22 remote cord with banana plugs which I attach to all sorts of home made devices, including a plain two-step release button.

If you want "true" mirror lock up - i.e. not a 2-second mirror prefire - the Elan II/Elan 7/Rebels are out (they have the 2 second mirror prefire via custom function). You'd need to go higher up in the Canon series.

Sorry I can't be much help on the Pentax line. The Elan's fit every other feature (except non electronic cable release -- that'll be hard to find on an electronic body if you want AF).

Thanks for the tips... I looked up some specifics... I find the Canon Elan7e to be the thing I'm looking for. It still has some manual control buttons, something I very much appreciate in the pentax line.

It's a shame to dispose from a serie of good pentax stuff, but I think it will be better for my work and my budget because I just can't find anything for pentax on the second hand market and that's bugging me for a while now.

So Canon Elan7e it will be...

I can see the advantage of the electronic cable release more clearly now, I was just oldfashioned I think. I'm used to the little cable release hole and panic when it isn't there. Has a lot to do with being pretty active in astrophotography. In that case, any cable release is necessary.

Last question, what's the name of the Elan series in Europe? Haven't seen them anywhere. Could it be the Eos 33 or 3???

The Elan 7e is the same as the EOS 30. The Elan 7 is the same as the 33. The latter model does not have eye control. Some people consider eye control just a toy, but most people that have it like it. There are a few that don't though.

If a used camera is acceptable, the Elan II has all the features you want as well.

There are wrap around (Velcro) straps that have a standard shutter release hole in them to accomodate mechanical cable releases. You just line up the strap's relase over the electronic shutter button & you have instant old tech for the latest & greatest electronic camera. They are made mostly for point & shoot cameras that don't have any remote release capability, but they work fine on an SLR too. Porters Camera sells them, but they are easy to make.