Dear Leica, Please Make Us a Dedicated Scanner!

Alex_Es

<p>Imacon Flextight 343 Scanner or higher number of the series will cover all you ever need and more in your scanning work.<br /><br /><br>

This Hasselblad owned company/brand has produced a lots of scanners and some of them are of course on the secondhand market/ebay for example, but best is to visit a company where you can test which model is best for your needs. And once again you can surely find lots of material of the Imacon scanners on the youtube..<br>

Any of those scanners will bring a lot of fun to your life if you have got lots of film material. Of course they need regular service but are true workhorses and you can automate lot of the functions once you have come accustomed with the unit. <br>

This is the "Leica of the scanners" and you can forget Nikon and all other brands if you are interested to do some serious work. (By the time you have used one of these - you will laugh that you even though that Leica would produce any scanners:) -and it won't I promise;)<br>

All the best - Hannu</p>

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>There is a lot of negative comments on here to a reasonably logical thought. I have thought about the same thing. Leica is pretty much the last bastion of a film camera company, it makes sense they may offer such an item given that Nikon and Minolta have given up on that market. My Minolta died a number of months back and is irreparable, goodness Konica-Minolta as a camera company doesnt even exist anymore. Sure Leica probably couldnt make the thing themselves but they could oversee a third party to ensure that the quality is up to scratch. Dont tell me that quite a number of Leica fanatics that already have a good film scanner wouldnt try a Leica one (admit it you know what we're like!). The market is small but its there and that is where Leica chooses its market in small niches. There is no real competition for a high end amateur film scanner. Having looked for a replacement with whats on the on the market these days all I could find new are the cheaper Plustek type or a second hand one that could well pack it in like my old one. So yes I think there may be a market there and Im actually there looking right now for one for myself.</p>

Hey Joel, I seem to remember you are the Minolta CLE enthusiast.... Greetings.

Re Hannu's post, I had forgotten about the Hasselblad Imacon scanners. I'd think that would be the

equivalent of what Leica would produce. I don't think you'd see any difference from a Nikon scanner

posting images online, but maybe for prints, but that might depend also on your printer. Has anyone used one?

See here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=imacon+scanner&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

<blockquote>

<p>That's weird, I wouldn't think a DSLR and light table could pick up as much information off the film as a good scanner, but then again, I've heard it mentioned a few times.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I never really understand why people think this. Your high MP DSLR is good enough to take breathtaking pics of the real world. It will work just as well taking a picture of a slide or negative, as long as you get the conditions right (even illumination, high quality repro lens etc.).</p>

Robin Smith

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I note by something passed on to me, The LFI Gallery will no longer accept images from film.<br>

No images from film.. Almost unbelievable.My friend who only does B/W, has a book, only uses a Leica M and 50mm Summicron. No other cameras. No other lenses. Mauro has had many images accepted before.It seems Leica is like Nikon(Annual Competition) not prepared to show how good film can be.No better, not worse, simply different. As the company that really started the modern camera look in photography, it's a sin.<br>

Make a scanner? You are all kidding right. Leica no longer do "Downloads" for the M9..<br />I wrote to Kaufman but no reply.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Hey Joel, I seem to remember you are the Minolta CLE enthusiast.... Greetings.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Hey Ray, long tome no see. As the forum here dwindled I moved on to that other site that has a dedicated CLE section. Gone are the days you would get 30 new threads a day here unfortunately. Good to see you again.</p>