Tokina 28-70 f/2.6-2.8 repair recommendations

levon_b

<p>Good afternoon,<br>

<br />I have had this lens for several years now in Nikon mount, used it on an F100, D200, 5D w/ adapter, and now a D610 with no problems. However, the zoom ring has become rough - you can feel "gears" while turning it, and the focus ring has become loose. Optically, it seems just fine, and autofocus works fine as well. However, zooming is becoming difficult.</p>

<p>I contacted Tokina, who responded saying that they no longer work on these lenses as they no longer have the parts. They were quite helpful and cordial.</p>

<p>However, I am wondering if anyone has any experience with third-party repair services who will repair older Tokina lenses. I know that KEH has fixed-price repair services, and was wondering if anyone has experience with them, as well as any other repair services.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>Seems like I sent my 28-70/2.8 Nikon to:</p>

<p id="yui_3_16_0_1_1423771272083_58534" >Pro Camera Repair, Inc.</p>

<p id="yui_3_16_0_1_1423771272083_58535" >San Diego, CA 92111</p>

<p >The quality of the work was good and the price was reasonable - lower than some other places. </p>

<p >The problem is going to be getting any needed parts. You might want to check around to see what another one of the lenses sells for on the 'Bay before spending a good amount on the repair.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I had one (version 2) of the 2.6-2.8 zooms, and thought it was OK. But, the 28-70/2.8 AFS Nikon is a MUCH better lens than the Tokina I had.</p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p>Im positive without a doubt the repair will cost more than a used version on ebay. If youre looking ,consider getting the 28-80 2.8 which was better. I had the one u have, the 28-80 and i now have the nikon 28-70. Which is superior by a bit of the 3. Many of the nikon swm motors are dying though and repair will be around $600</p>