used during a developing session by soaking in super hot water for an

hour or so, then rinsing completely.<br>

When developing with HC-110B, I've been having serious problems with

the developer foaming. So much so that I can't agitate the tank

unless I remove the top cover and let some of the foam spill out to

relieve the pressure.<br>

When using the same equipment and XTOL, I don't have this issue.<br>

Any thoughts?

Dunno what's causing the developer to foam but I don't see any need to soak plastic tanks and reels in super hot water for an hour or so. It might degrade the plastics. Some plastics are fine at high temperatures but I don't know what developer tanks and reels are made from.

Are you using any kind of soap when cleaning the tank and reels? Soap is a wetting agent (surfactant). It's conceivable that the high heat is allowing soap to become trapped in the plastic and released during development, contributing to the foaming. Just a wild guess.

I seem to recall a recent post about PhotoFlo building up on reels, and another post stating that Kodak advises using PhotoFlo at a dilution about 100 to 1000 times more concentrated than is really necessary. If you use PhotoFlo in your tank, this could be part of the problem. Otherwise, I've never known HC-110 to foam on its own.

Since Photo-Flo in distilled water is always the last thing through my tank and reels anyway, all I do after that is rinse in clean, warm tap water. Nothing special.

How's the water you're using? Soft well water or water run through a water softener? That might contribute to foaming and require cutting way back on the use of Photo-Flo or other wetting agents. When the softener for our well is freshly charged I can hardly rinse the shampoo outta my hair.

I experienced foamy HC110 myself last night. Photoflo never makes it anywhere near my tank (I usually mix the Photoflo up in a container and soak the film in it after unwinding it from the reel). I also recall experiencing foamy Ilfosol-S on occasion as well, with a totally different tank. As far as washing my reels and tank goes, I simply rinse them out with luke-warm water after development.

I am thinking it could possibly be excess air trapped in the developer solution, but that's just my 2c.

Actually, what film were you developing in the HC110, and what was your development time?

When I experienced the foamy HC110, it was while I was developing some Plus-X in it as a trial, the time was 3:30, 20'C, agitation every 30 secs. From memory, the foamy Ilfosol I experienced was while developing Pan F plus for 4 minutes, so perhaps the foam could be attributed to the developer acting rapidly with the film (less than 5 mins development)?

I was getting the foam with HP5+, 20C, 5-6 minutes, inversions every minute (but the foam starts right away... during the initial inversions). Definitely a short development time.<br>

I'm trying to think of other films I use it with... Tri-X for sure (the old Tri-X), which I was doing 20C, 7.5 minutes, inversions every 30 seconds. Don't remember getting any foam with that film. <br>

Interesting thought...

Yeah, it seems odd to me that a 5-6 minute time would cause foaming. I mostly develop (the old) Tri-X in HC110 without any such hassles, it was only when I went to develop (the new) Plus-X that I experienced foaming. Normally I use D76 1:1 for PX to have an acceptably long dev time.