The Rules of Photography in Everyday Shooting

Perhaps the problem with the word "rule" is that it too often implies something we must do, and is not understood as a memory of what we know (by firsthand or second hand experience) works when faced with a certain task in a certain set of circumstances.<br>As such, rules can help train the yet unexperienced (giving a rule is just sharing the knowledge), but are no longer needed as prescriptive things when we know and understand what we are dealing with and what we are doing. Then rules are just 'memos' that can help us in those cases we are too lazy to use our heads, or had a hard night before and did not get enough sleep, etc.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>

<p>Can you name something we experience that doesn't move the human soul?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Waiting for the bus. A completely mundane experience that usually does not in and of itself move the human soul. However it can be argued that once we board the bus then both our body and our soul will be moved along to our destination.</p>

<p>But what we can do is use photography to make an otherwise unmoving, normal act into an image which can then generate powerful emotion. Imagine a dark and overcast rainy day, thunderclouds roiling in and puddles on the ground. Standing in the rain next to the bus stop sign is an elderly person with a small push basket of groceries beside them leaning heavily on a cane. They clutch their flapping jacket tight about them to ward of the chill, wet wind. Shoot this in black and white while exposing the worn and haggard face and any number of emotions can be generated. Why did this frail elderly person choose today to venture out? The food suggests hunger and an empty pantry. Necessity is most likely that drove them from a warm comfortable abode. Viewers will look upon this scene and might fell pity, or hope, or triumph over adversity. It may remind them of a loved one or make them think twice when they pass the old fellow down in 2c....maybe ask him next time they see him if there is anything they can do for him.</p>

<p>No...not everything moves the human soul. But photographs should strive to.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I agree that there are differences between painting and photography. But I disagree with the overall message in this paragraph and, as importantly, I think there are many similarities between painting and making photos that can be understood and utilized to great creative advantage.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I am glad you brought this up Fred, though I feel we may still disagree. And also to David for bringing up music and how it relates to photography. So lets see how music and painting relate to photography.</p>

<p>They dont.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that the following thoughts are coming from someone who's only artistic ability is photography. I cant play any instruments, I cant carry a tune in a bucket, and I have little to no painting or drawing ability. Having admitted all this, I will be the first to say that among the grand and ancient Arts of humanity photography is little more then a charlatans trade, a parlor trick. It was late to the party, came in thru the back door and was only let in because it knew Painting, and Drawing reluctantly vouched for it.</p>

<p>As long as there have been people there has been music, and dance, and scribbling s on cave walls. I firmly believe that Music is woven into the fabric of the universe and I have always envied those who can master it and bring such beauty into the world with sound. Music has made me break out in goose bumps and, at times, cry. It is one of the fundamental Arts of our species, followed closely by painting and dance and prose. These are true arts, that require little more then the most basic of tools, and sometimes not even that.</p>

<p>Photography was not possible until man reached a certain technological level. Thru dangerous and poisonous alchemy (at first) and then later thru circuit boards photographer have been snapping away and proudly exclaiming that they have "captured the moment" and 'stopped time". But unfortunately a camera only captures a small slice of reality in a tiny, broken 2D way. I feel the best way to describe a photograph is to call it a poor recollection of an unclear memory. To much is removed in the taking and to much added in the viewing. Dont get me wrong, it is this very transient nature of the image that lends photography its magical nature. But in reality it is little more then a trick of the light, a poor copy of something that wasnt there. We are not beings who are designed to break the infinite stream of time down into a single sliver. We are meant to experience it as continues headlong rush into a raging river. When you hold the flat, two dimensional photograph in your hand you can remember back to the event and old feelings can be stirred. But all to often the photograph will actually warp that memory...until you original feeling are gone, replaced by what you feel when you look at the photograph. </p>

<p>Insidious to be sure, but the human mind is a crazy place. Dont get me wrong, Photography is most definitely an art. But (and these are just my personal musing) I rank it very low in the pantheon. It is a technical thing, and understanding of how a little mechanical device sees light. Yes, artistic and compelling results are possible and happen all the time. Is it related to Painting and Drawing? Yes, in an long distant, kissing cousins kind of way. But I think it is very telling that anyone who has the innate ability to paint or draw can pick up a camera and in very little time start producing art, especially thru the modern trickery of PS. But conversely, the best photographer in the world will have a devil of a time trying to learn how to paint if that skill is not in them to begin with.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>David, maybe you're not a good musician because you never tried. Like all forms of art, in my experience, some are truly gifted at their art (music, painting, photography, etc.) and hardly need any training. Some of the most amazing musicians I've met can't tell your how they do what they do, they just do it. For every one of those, there a 99 that I call "blue collar" musicians. They were driven to learn a musical instrument and worked long and hard at it. For most of us, it's practice every day for years.</p>

<p>I think that most photographers are in the same position, except that it's much easier to start photography than to start trumpet. Photography might be a gift from God for a few, just like musicianship, but for most, it's a combination of studying, trying and developing gifts.</p>