Product under development

William Michael

I've thought about the product and your thoughts Tom and have a different take. As I see it it could change the role of the

assistant not replace them. With either one or a few of these with lights mounted away from the photographer, it might

make the integration of photographer and assistant tighter by letting the photographer concentrate on who or what is in

front of the camera and the assistant concentrating on where and what the lights aré pointing at.

<p>It certainly doesn't replace an assistant or a 2nd, but to me, the most appealing aspect is the ability to shoot from perspectives currently unavailable - to anybody. The example in the video was shooting from the altar toward the B&G and pews, which obviously is impossible for either me or my second during a ceremony. Creative shots like that are one of the things I enjoy most about wedding photography.</p>

<p>I could have used one today. I almost never hire an assistant, but today I was making an unusual portrait in a pretty small office of a guy sitting in his office chair, stretched out, feet on desk, dressed in a diver's wet suit, fins and goggles.<br /><br />I gelled the main (directly overhead) small silver PLM umbrella to 3400k, set WB to that and turned the daylight outside the window to a deep blue (1/250th @ f11), but I wanted a blue rim light on him from behind (going for that underwater kind of light). I had to weave through the light stands and gear, around the chair and reach over the desk about three times to micro-adjust an SB900 set at 200mm that was hidden either behind his head or his computer's monitor (different shots). With this little device I would have done that from camera position. The budget for this job did not allow for an assistant. <br /><br />It's a versatile concept product that adapts well to various situations and business models... t</p>