Dusty Bellows -- should I clean them?

stephen_morgana

<p>I just got a Graphic View II -- which looks in good shape, but it has an overall slight musty smell to it. The bellows have fine dust on them, and I'm wondering if I should clean them off...<br>

If yes.. what should I use that wont damage the bellows-- I'm guessing they're made of leather..<br>

Is there something I can use that might extend their life, or should I just leave well enough alone?<br /><br />Thanks</p>

<p>I have sprayed leather goods that had mildew with plain old white vinegar, and wiped it off with a cloth. Worked fine.<br>

HOWEVER, I would wait for some additional advice before doing that to a bellows, just to be on the safe side. I am pretty sure that musty smell is from mildew. I would keep it away from my other gear for now as well.<br>

I have used a cloth moistened with white vinegar to wipe down camera bodies that had been poorly stored (not by me) and had the tell tale musty smell - the vinegar takes it away and it doesn't come back. <br>

I'll be following this thread to see what some others suggest. Enjoy the Graphic!</p>

<p>Yes, you should clean them.<br>

The Graphic View II was introduced in 1949 therefore the bellows outer covering is Naugahyde. With the bellows fully extended, lens board and back removed, support the bellows from inside while wiping down the exterior. You can use Windex or 90% Isopropyl Alcohol to remove the dirt and grime on the exterior and a soft cloth. Once clean coat the bellows with Lemon Pledge (yellow can only not the wipes) and let it set a few minutes then rub in and wipe off the excess. Of course you can use cleaners/conditioners specifically made for naugahyde if you wish.<br>

Once the exterior is cleaned and treated spray the interior with Lysol Disinfectant Spray. Don't be afraid to saturate the inside. Close with the back and blank lens board or place in a large plastic bag and leave for a day or two. Repeat the Lysol treatment if needed to remove the mildew smell. Brush any white powder from the inside with a nylon bristle brush such as an old tooth brush.<br>

http://www.graflex.org/</p>

<p>Great advice. I also looked up general cleaning advice for naugahyde... I did not have windex but several other sites said for light cleaning a 10 percent solution of dish soap.<br>

I very carefully cleaned the outside with a sponge and toweling paper... lots of dirt came off... especially the top. Then followed up with the Lemon Pledge -- that took a bit more dirt off...<br>

After cleaning the outside it no longer had the , what I know know is, mildew smell... inside still had a slight smell -so sprayed it with lysol and closed up the ends.<br>

I did get to inspect every inch of the bellows and so I also see they are in great shape -- no visible cracks or holes.<br>

Thanks!</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Of course, you should clean them to protect from causing additional damage. The most common causes of mechanical damage to bellows are arc strikes or wrenches and hammers dropped from the deck above. Bellows material is thin and dents easily. Protective covers are meant to prevent such damage, but for many flanged designs they must be removed to install bolts - thus the occasional wrench slip dent.</p>