Alaska visit - Late May / Early June 2015

prasoon

<p>Hi,<br>

I am planning a trip with my wife to Anchorage, AK from Portland, OR for about 7 days in late May/early June 2015. My itinerary is Anchorage, Seward - Kenai, Talkeetna, Denali NP and back to Anchorage. I am planning to stay at hotels and lodges. I will not be camping or backpacking. Perhaps some short hikes.<br>

I am looking for advice in the following areas to get the most of the trip.<br>

Is this itinerary ok, or, too packed for 7 days?<br>

What kind of weather to expect at this time of the year? Should I pack rain-gear, warm clothes? I will pack some anyway but how much and how many?<br>

Photography: I feel like a kid in a candy store. I want it all but that is not possible. So, some guidance about good locations in these areas both for nature/landscape and wildlife photography and what gear to carry (and what to leave behind). I will be shooting 35mm slide film exclusively (Velvia 50 and Provia 100F) and some digital with my Canon PnS G15 (may leave this behind).<br>

Gear I am planning to carry: 2 Canon EOS-3 bodies (1. Wide Angle and 50mm, 2. Telephoto). Lenses: 17-40mm F4, 50mm F1.4, 70-200mm F4 (non-IS), 200mm F2.8. Accessories: Extenders 1.4x and 2x. Polarizers, warming and 2 stop ND Grad. Need UV haze? Tripod with ball head. I am counting on the extenders to get me upto 400mm. Else, I can consider renting a bigger telephoto. Is a little tripod recommended?<br>

Locations: Standard and not-so-standard. I am hoping that at this time, it is not going to be as crowded as perhaps later in June and July. But I could be wrong.<br>

This would be the first-of-a-kind trip. So, advice about lodging, car-rental, clothing, wildlife is all welcome. Links to previous posts, sites are all heartily welcome.<br>

A big thank you in advance!<br>

Cheers,<br>

Prasoon</p>

<p>Generally ice melt out is early late May-early June, so things are just opening up. I went at the same time of year my first trip and figured layering would be just right...it turned out when I went to Fairbanks the temps hit 80 and I needed to buy some short sleeved shirts (LOL), but that was pretty unusual. You don't say how you are traveling - and that makes a difference in what you can take in. At Denali one of the better ways to get a sense of the expanse of the park, and possibly see a wider range of animal life, is to take a helicopter....I remember seeing quite a variety including bears, mountain sheep, elk, eagles. If you haven't already made your reservations, you are running late...many people going via cruise ships have booked reservations months ago. My personal opinion is that you probably have too much gear and will be overwhelmed...but we all occasionally do that, you will gain experience for your next trip and narrow things down to just what you need to shoot what you want to shoot. I was glad to have taken a good wide angle lens, which I used quite a bit on glaciers and in helicopters and single engine planes. My telephotos were much less frequently used than I anticipated. Best advice for this trip...go, have a great time whatever the weather, enjoy the people and sights, and then plan your next trip to catch up on what you couldn't do this time.</p>

<p>Just tap in "info on Alaska" in the Search box and you'll get lots of info...that will keep you busy for a week.</p>

<p>On one hand your itinerary seems reasonable, since the longest stretch is about 370 miles. However, when you account for waterfalls, spectacular vistas, lakes, animals, mountains, rivers/inlet and what have you, the place is packed with a pile of wonderful distractions.</p>

<p>The tourist season can start (often does) on first week of May, but it's usually more robust around the 15th. It's always good to have a rain jacket handy or even packed in the backpack with the gear - that also goes for backpack rain cover. If I were you, I'd make lodging and car rental reservations as soon as you can. Don't be surprised in regard to steep prices for both....the season in AK is relatively short. Last year the weather was quite nice in May (sunny and reasonably warm), as I've been reminded by a friend who lives there. But, there is no telling what you get this year. Anyway, dress in layers, so you can peel stuff off you when you get too warm.</p>

<p>Since you'll have a car near you, you could rent longer lens/es that apply. Sometimes animals may be visible, but they'll still be far away and you'll need (minimum) 400mm+1.4 extender <or longer>. Back in 2013 I was there 6 weeks and never used Pola filter, but that's a personal decision. Outside of the long tele, you seem to be covered fairly well. Do make sure that camera is placed in such a way that's handy and loaded w/film, since you never know when you could encounter animals. I should also add, that <em>Alaska is not a zoo, </em>as one of the tour guides used to say; therefore, it's rather unreasonable to count on the animals to be near the road, since they have many thousands of acres of wilderness. If you'll use longer lens/es or longer exposures, you should have a decent tripod to support that. You might also consider using a beanbag as an alternative support + books, fence, tree branch, etc.</p>

<p>Here are few of my personal favorites. Potter's Marsh (just outside on Anchorage), where you may see some water fowl...and Dall Sheep as you are negotiating the road near the inlet and on the way to Seward. There is a chance that you may spot an eagle...if you know where to look. If you think you may have enough time, try going to Denali via Hatcher Pass - wonderfully wild, though it may still be covered with snow (?).</p>

<p>In any case, <em>get your feet wet</em> and enjoy your time there and perhaps you'll have another chance to get up there and explore it more thoroughly. It's a huge chunk of land.</p>

<p>Les</p>

<div>00dC4Y-555797084.jpg.88ffa5f39147a626084448f73e206468.jpg</div>

<p>It's been decades since I visited Alaska, but some things may still apply. I spent a lot of time around Talkeetna, but that was because I had friends there, and had enough time to get to know people, hike in the area, even take on a very minor photo gig for a local newspaper. As wonderful as the experience was, I don't know what a stop in Talkeetna will do for you, when you have so little time, and when you will limit yourself to short hikes. One reason might be that Talkeetna is a base for sightseeing flights around Denali but, as Stephen suggested, you could take a helicopter ride while in the park. With your time constraints, it might be better to spend one more day in Denali.</p>

<p>Consider taking along some faster film, even if it has to be negative film, for early morning or late evening shooting.</p>

<p>Also, before your trip, try out some of your photography plans. Will you like the results of reaching 400mm by the use of a 200mm and converter? As mentioned above, you can rent a long lens instead.</p>

<p>Finally, be prepared for mosquitoes. They are many and fierce there. I used a wool cap heavily doused with repellent, which worked reasonably well.</p>

<p>It's a wonderful place. Enjoy your trip.</p>

• 5 weeks later...

<p>Hi from Anchorage, Alaska. As far as the weather, we had a mild winter with far less snow than normal in this year. Almost all snow had already gone, and creeks and some lakes are already open, at least around Anchorage area. 2 months ahead. But the weather is subject to change, you better bring warm clothing and waterproof jackets even in mid summer.<br>

For itinerary, I don't pack too many locations in 7 days. There are so many places to explore with photography purpose in each area. Instead of driving between places to places, I would select either Kenai Peninsula or north to Denali, and spend more time to a few locations.<br>

Landscape in Alaska is so open and vast. The wide angle lens is must, you have 17-40mm, that'll works. For wildlife, my 400mm is not long enough for most of the time.<br>

I hope this info will help. Enjoy your trip.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>So, I have my trip planned for June 1st week. I will be spending time in Seward (Kenai) and Denali national Park in addition to Anchorage.<br>

I have another question. I was considering carrying my tripod. The tripod will work any place where I have space to spread the tripod legs. However, for the Denali tour bus, I am debating if a beanbag or a monopod is more appropriate?<br>

Any suggestions?<br>

Thanks</p>