Which Adaptor for Older Zeiss Lens on 6D?

photog630

<p>I have recently upgraded my 5D (mark 1- classic) to a 6D, and have had problems using a lens mount adapter on my older Zeiss Planar 85/1.4 (MMJ version for Contax).</p>

<p><strong>What mount adapters are most of you 6D folks using these days?</strong> I'd originally purchased an off-brand adapter (with the focus confirmation chip) on ebay back in 2008 that worked well with my 5d, but it often malfunctions on the 6D body. I've no idea what brand the adapter is; been too many moons ago, and it doesn't have any indicator markings.</p>

<p>They're just about all made in China these days and sold under different names (or no name at all). However they're so cheap you can afford to buy a few and take your chances! You can also buy just the focus confirmation chip and glue it to any mechanical adapter. That way you can adjust the alignment yourself. Some info on that here - http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/eosfaq/manual_focus_EOS.html</p>

<p>I have a bunch and they all seem to work but I've no idea who made any of them. Most came directly from China via eBay and cost under $10.</p>

<p>You will get warnings that some confirmation chips can damage the camera. I'm sure that's happened, but most people have no issues and again, I don't know that any sold under any brand name are better (or indeed different) form the generic Chinese ones on eBay.</p>

<p>If you want a "name brand" adapter you may have problems finding one. Novaflex make expensive adapters but I don't know if they do an EF to Zeiss with AF confirmation. Fotodix have a line of adapters with AF chips, but odds are they get them from China like everybody else. However if the AF chip blows up your camera I doubt anybody is going to buy you a new camera.</p>

It is the Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter,

Black M42 (42mm x1 thread Mount),

mounts screw thread lens to EOS

body. Have to remember to manually

stop the lens down. I bought it to adapt

an old Yashica bellows/slide copier that

I bought overseas and never used. The

consumer grade scanners are not

acceptable; thought why not use my

6D's scanner. The Zeiss lens is

excellent.

<p>Thanks for all the advice. After checking online I realized that Fotodiox is <strong>rather fortuitously</strong> located about 20 minutes away from where I live. Talk about a good sign.</p>

<p>So I called their sales rep, who informed me that there are two versions of the adaptor; a "pro grade" (Contax/Yashica to Canon EOS) for $60 and a less-expensive aluminum version for $16. Took the camera and lens in to them, tested out the cheaper version, and picked it up today.</p><div>00d6zQ-554689584.thumb.jpg.f8533892d5f58cf2854b31eaaf913287.jpg</div>