How is Nikon classifying full frame cameras?

mark_stephan2

<p>Am I correct in saying; D610 - entry level FF, D750 - advanced amateur FF, D810- professional FF? I currently shoot with a 6 year old D700 and a 2 year old D800 refurbished by Nikon. My wife who uses a D3200 is interested in full frame and we are hesitant on which model to buy. The D610 is $500 less than a D750 which makes the decision difficult. If you were buying your first FF Nikon which one would you choose? She wants a camera of her own and something smaller and lighter than the D700/D800.</p>

Having shot with all three (currently using the D810 and D750) given the parameters you ask about my recommendation

is the D750. Better AF and a newer CMOS, a tilt up or down preview LCD ( metal bracket is reasonably robust), and if

you shoot video has the flat "Picture style" that is also on the D810. nd it's a smaller body. It uses dual SD media, no ten

pin connector, no PC flash sync connection.

<p>Agreed - the D610's autofocus will annoy you if you're used to a D700/D800.<br />

<br />

In looking for the manual a few days ago, I noted that the D750 was under the "professional" body section with the D700 and D800 (and single-digit SLRs, obviously); the D610 was under the "consumer" section. The style of the handling of the D750 is much closer to the D7x00 series and D6x0 series than the D8x0, D700 and D300(s), though. The D610 is effectively a full-frame D7000. A D750 is the full-frame equivalent of a cross between a D7100 and (for the flip-screen) D5300. I still think of it as high-end consumer, though it's certainly <i>very</i> high end consumer. I assume it'll get you into the Nikon pro programmes like the D800 will. I've also seen the D800 and D700 classified as "prosumer" and short of the D3/D4 series "pro" bodies, so it depends where you look.</p>

The consumer versus professional designation isn't really relevant here. The bodies are pretty much the same size, and

they have pretty much the same sensor, so the key differences here are that the D750 has a slightly faster burst fire and

articulating screen, and the AF system is better. For the D750, they used a system almost identical to what you have in

your D800, but for the D610 they used the AF from the D7000. Since the D610 has a larger focusing screen because it's

FX, the result is the AF points cover a pretty small area in the center of the frame, because they are the same points that

were originally intended to be used on DX.

If AF coverage isn't going to be a big problem, I don't see any really good reason to spend the extra money on the D750.

Coming from a DX consumer camera, Either of those models will be a big step up.

<p>The D750 has newer electronics, including an updated 24MP sensor that can give you an extra stop of high ISO and EXPEED 4 processor, but those are more evolutionary improvements. The bigger differences are the top-of-the-line AF module on the D750 and the tilt LCD. Video has also improved.</p>

<p>Both the D750 and D610 are smaller and lighter than the D700/D800.</p>

<p>It all boils down to what the photographer can afford and what her needs are. E.g. if she doesn't need the best AF available, the D610 may well be more than sufficient, as AF is essentially the biggest difference between the two.</p>

<blockquote>The D750 has newer electronics, including an updated 24MP sensor that can give you an extra stop of high ISO and EXPEED 4 processor, but those are more evolutionary improvements.</blockquote>

<p>Wait, what? I've not seen any detailed image quality analysis for the D750 yet. I'd assumed it would behave roughly like the D610, although with better quality JPEGs and a possible improvement in terms of low-frequency noise (like the D4 to D4s and D800 to D810 transitions). I'm not sure that I saw an extra stop in at least raw file comparisons in those camera updates - though it's not like I own any but the D800. Did I miss a review or a claim by Nikon? Apologies if I have - I'm just curious to see where this came from.</p>

<p>Mike, what you are talking about is that the D750 has the extra motor to control the aperture during live view and video capture so that you can actually change the aperture while in that mode. Previously, that feature was only available on the D3 family, D4 family and D800 series DSLR. Even the D700, D600, D610, and Df didn't have that feature.</p>

<p>Mike: I could be wrong, but I think the D800 at launch only supported setting the aperture to the shooting aperture (though unlike the D700, you could change it dynamically). People complained about the noise, so I think the ability to work either wide open or stopped down was added in the first BIOS update, so it wouldn't be in the manual. I think you press OK to toggle modes. Not that my camera's in front of me, so this could be complete misinformation. Pv would actually be worse than OK for me, since I'm more likely to have reprogrammed Pv to something else - but then the D810 has the split live view to worry about.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Am I correct in saying; D610 - entry level FF, D750 - advanced amateur FF, D810- professional FF?</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

No. A professional can use a D610, and a novice can use a D810. The pro's photos are going to be much better than the novice's photos regardless of which camera you put in their hands. Such "classifications" are useless.</p>

<p>Dan, that's not quite true..</p>

<p>Go try and join NPS with a D3300 and an SB-600 and see what happens.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The pro's photos are going to be <em><strong>much better</strong></em> than the novice's photos regardless of which camera you put in their hands</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Horses for courses. Novice with a D4 and a pro with a D3000 at a dim wedding and I'd like to see whose pix the bride thinks are <strong>Better</strong>. Now, sure, a pro isn't going to a wedding with a D3000, but that's kinda the point.</p>

<p>Nikon classify it like that anyway!</p>