How to view D610 pictures in ViewNX2

kam_kozalak

<p>With your camera, you should have a CD with the 'correct' version of Nikon ViewNX2. You will need to have that CD loaded to your computer, then try editing the .NEF files from your D610. If you have .JPG files, you can use any prior version of ViewNX2.<br>

(Nikon has changes to just about every camera, and older ViewNX2 versions don't work.)</p>

<p>Thanks, Jerry.<br>

I did actually used that CD to upload the latest version oViewNX2. I can only g into transfer, and when I d edit, I cannot bring the files into full screen. It looks like it is ready for transfer only, while I would like to view them all, delete some and the transfer.</p>

<p>Nikon transfer only lets you see thumbnails to select what to transfer, it is not ViewNX2. ViewNX2 is started up after the transfer is complete.<br /> Just transfer them all and then you can see them full screen in ViewNX2</p>

<p>Or open the pictures on the card (that is in a card reader ) by starting ViewNX2 directly, navigating to the card and opening the pictures directly from the card.<br>

You will have to use a card reader to do this as the Nikon cameras do not let you open the connected camera as a mass storage device (since the D200/D300 era)</p>

<p>Kam, you may want to save your work again on external hard drive or some other drive before you attempt your edits. This way, if something goes ker plunk during the edit, you'll at least have a copy of the original. </p>

<p>Anyway, after you open up your program (View NX2), you should be able to see the chosen photos, whether from a drive or directly from the memory card. Tap on the edit function (at the top) and all the photos should be visible at the bottom of the monitor....and you can choose whichever you wish.</p>

<p>Les</p>

<p>THis will not work the way you explain, you either will need to transfer the images, or use the card in a cardreader ( or in your PC if it has a build-in card reader) , then you can directly open the images in ViewNX2 from your card.<br>

<br /> I would not advice this way of working though, because you can mess up the only source of your images this way ( the card).<br /> It is still better to transfer them into their own subdirectory ( i have transfer creata a new dated subdirectoty automattically for each transfer). Then if you'd delete images by accident from that directory, you'd still have them on the card until you have finnished and decide to reformat the card ( in camera offcourse...).</p>

<p>I believe that it is better and more convenient to transfer the files first. Obviously you have the camera connected to the computer. Usually the transfer is faster via a card reader, an optional one or the one in your computer.</p>

<p>Nikon transfer is handy. Let it do the work for you. Set it to make a backup of your memory card contents, while it transfers the originals to a (new) folder. Nikon Transfer makes a new folder for you automatically.</p>

<p>From the folder in your computer, it is faster and more easy to label and rate images. I happen to use "red" label for those I am going to delete. While looked through all the images in a folder and using the red label for some images I eventually press the filter function and set the View NX2 to show only red ones. Select them all and delete. After that I deselect the filter function and then I can see images that are left to continue working with them.</p>

<p>Usually it is not necessary to do any rotation actions. Portrait and landscape orientations are viewed properly automatically as the camera can record the orientation. That feature can be switched off, tough.<br>

Every computer program, like View NX2, needs a bit of practising and setting things up.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone, for your kind advice. I will get a card reader for SD cards and try that. That is how I did it with the D200 CF cards. Transferring fist is safe, I know, but I thought the dual cards in D610 would give me that safety, and deleting before transferring would be quicker. I will test both methods.</p>

<p>Kam, if you get the right card reader (not the ultra-cheap ones, but something like <a href="http://www.lexar.com/readers/lexar-professional-usb-30-dual-slot-reader">this Lexar</a>), transferring is so fast that deleting first isn't speeding up anything at all. Plus, the transfer function from ViewNX2 has the option to immediately write to two locations as well, so you'd have the safety copy on your PC right away as well. It is a much safer way of working than doing all these activities on the SD card itself.</p>

<p>Transcend sell a USB 3.0 card reader for about 1/3rd the price of that Lexar. In a head-to-head test there was almost no difference in performance between them. Here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts/-usb-3.0-card-reader-charts-2014/-21-SD-Performance-Index,3562.html</p>

<p>I have a Transcend RDF-8 myself and can confirm that its transfer speed is <em>very</em> fast.<br>

Here's a link to it on Transcend's website: http://www.transcend-info.com/Products/No-331<br>

Best price and availability seems to be from Amazon.</p>