Post Processing on a tablet?

<p>I have a problem with my internet connection. I receive my service from a cell phone tower through a wireless 'hub' and after being knocked over it now needs replacing. After consulting a service rep on the support line it was suggested that maybe instead of buying a new hub I should consider replacing it with a cellular equipped tablet that could provide me with a hotspot to power my PC and laptop.<br>

My questions are: what level of post-processing of raw Nikon images from my D800E will I be able to achieve, if any, with one of the current high-end tablets? If purchasing a tablet means I could work on images away from my desk that would truly be 'enhancing' the experience. <br>

Secondly, are the images from tablets any better than those from a smartphone?<br>

Thirdly, does this sound like a viable alternative for a full-time internet connection when I'm using my PC? What range can be expected from a hotspot like this?<br>

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge using a tablet this way? Will it overheat or damage the battery to be plugged in all the time it isn't being used portably?<br>

I would love an excuse not to replace the hub which does only one job for me.<br>

Thanks for any help.</p>

<p>There's only tablet that can run a desktop OS and that's the Windows Surface Pro 3. It's expensive but capable of running LR and PS and comes with a Wacom stylus and optional keyboard. <br /> <br /> The Android tablets running Lollipop will have the ability soon to open dng files but not sure yet if that will be limited to just the camera on the device.</p>

<p>I use my phone and tablet as hot spots all the time but have blazing fast 4g connection. It could replace my home adsl. I'm not sure I would load nikon files into a tablet, though. <br>

<br /> Chrome OS and Adobe now have PS running virtually in a browser window. It won't be long before we are cloud editing.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.dpreview.com/articles/4578402340/new-service-mylio-offers-to-synchronize-your-photographic-life">Mylio Photo Service</a> looks awesome. It is getting great reviews and is doing everything that I would have expected Adobe Lightroom Mobile to be doing, but isn't. http://www.dpreview.com/articles/4578402340/new-service-mylio-offers-to-synchronize-your-photographic-life</p>

<blockquote>

<p>My questions are: what level of post-processing of raw Nikon images from my D800E will I be able to achieve, if any, with one of the current high-end tablets?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well consider that none are color managed and so few work with the actual raw data itself but either the rendered image or (in the case of Adobe's IMHO flawed approach, a Smart Preview which again isn't raw data but partially baked data), this technology isn't ready for prime time. IOW, wrong tool for the job or processing actual raw data.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If purchasing a tablet means I could work on images away from my desk that would truly be 'enhancing' the experience.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>A high end Laptop (like top of the line MacBook) would allow you to both work in a totally color managed environment (hook up a really good external display you calibrate properly) AND without, anywhere you want to take the laptop. Using all the tools and software products that are designed to run on a desktop, not some weak, half supported OS and software <em>tools</em>. <br /> The issue seems to be internet connectivity right? Why throw out the baby with the bathwater, and work with a tablet instead of the more powerful tool, one you already own to fix an internet issue. Replace the hub, that's the root of your issues right?</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>They seem to be suggesting that you can use a cellular equipped tablet as a personal hotspot to that your PC and laptop can use it to connect to the internet.<br>

<br />Why would you want to use a tablet - that is most likely very underpowered - to do your post processing editing work?<br>

<br />I would think that your laptop would be good for an "away from your desk" experience.<br>

<br />The viability of a tablet as a hotspot depends on a several things, how well the tablet works in an "always on" configuration, how good its internal WiFi antenna is - which determines the range from your other equipment, and how much a cellular hub will cost to replace, as opposed to how much a cellular equipped tablet will cost.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Well consider that none are color managed and so few work with the actual raw data itself but either the rendered image or (in the case of Adobe's IMHO flawed approach, a Smart Preview which again isn't raw data but partially baked data), this technology isn't ready for prime time. IOW, wrong tool for the job or processing actual raw data.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br /> Incorrect. The Surface Pro 3 tablet is a fully spec'd computer, on par with a MBP, that runs Windows 8.1. It's rated as having the best IPS panel in the tablet family, and your Google results will show photographers are successfully calibrating it with X-Rite, ColorMunki, and Spyders for a color managed environment.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>A high end Laptop (like top of the line MacBook) would allow you to both work in a totally color managed environment</p>

</blockquote>

<p>So would a desktop. But both are off-topic and irrelevant here</p>

<p>Thanks, gentlemen. I've been researching tablets for 2 days online but couldn't find answers to the questions I posted here. I learned a lot about them but I'm 2 hours drive from the nearest store where I could actually see one or talk to a professional. It was the tech at my internet supplier that suggested I explore the tablet alternative when he learned I was a photographer. He got me pretty excited that there might be technology I wasn't aware of. <br>

Lex, there is a satellite provider. I had it installed a few years ago for almost 24 hours and then uninstalled the next day. It wasn't adequate for my needs. Then cell towers were installed to service a nearby area and I managed to squeeze a signal from one of them. It is very expensive compared to other methods, though.<br>

Andrew, based on these responses I will replace the hub tomorrow. The one I'm used to is no longer available and the replacement is a portable unit that isn't nearly as confidence inspiring to look at. That's why the young guy on the phone suggested a tablet as an alternative and then I got excited that I might be getting a new toy for Christmas.<br>

I've purchased two Macbook Pros over the last few years for my kids' university courses and I'm not a big fan of them. I know they are more intuitive to use for some but we had multiple technical issues with both of them. I'm also very aware of the power needed to edit with the Adobe programs, Dx0, Nik, etc. and really would have been quite surprise to find there was a tablet with those capabilities that I hadn't heard about.</p>

<p>Gup, if you don't mind risking a couple hundred bucks (or less, with savvy holiday shopping), Amazon's Kindle Fire HDX tablets offer a lot of bang for the buck. Amazon is basically selling their Fire tablets at cost just to lure people into the Amazon universe. Since Black Friday I've seen the 7" quad core HDX with 8-16 GB priced as low as $139-$159. Also, the Fire HD and HDX tablets appear to be reasonably accurate for color photo evaluation. I use my Fire HD tablet to check the colors of my JPEGs prepped for online display and prints. If it looks good on the Fire HD, it'll look good elsewhere if the lab does its job, or the viewer's display is reasonably accurate.</p>

<p>Unfortunately the Kindle OS limits accessibility to apps, but you can jailbreak the tablet an use it as an ordinary Android tablet. There are a few photo editing apps that claim to be able to handle raw files. A Fire HDX tablet would probably be the cheapest way to experiment with a decent GPU. The 1.5GHz quad core on the newest Fire HD is very fast, so the more powerful quad core in the HDX should be even better for photo editing - assuming good raw editing apps are available.</p>

<p>Battery life is good, and leaving them plugged into the charger doesn't appear to do any harm. It seems to automatically switch to trickle charge after the battery is fully charged. A few weeks ago I thought our older 2012 model Fire HD was dying because it was getting unusually warm, both in use on the battery and when charging. But it's back to normal after deleting a resource heavy game app and doing a complete reset. That 2012 Fire HD has seen daily use for hours a day for two years and has been very reliable. I'm really surprised the battery isn't worn out by now.</p>

<p>There is an iPad application called "Lightroom Mobile" which allows retrieve a collection stored in iCloud, synchronized with Lightroom on a PC. There may be other compatible "smart" devices, but I haven't investigated that possibility.</p>

<p>Theoretically, you can edit images in an iPad, non-destructively just like in Lightroom. Cropping and resizing can be done (and undone) reliably, but color and exposure would be problematic since the iPad is not a calibrated screen.</p>

<p>To synchronize in Lightroom, log into your Creative Cloud account, create a collection and check the box to the left of the collection name. In the iPad app, "Lightroom Mobile", log into Creative Cloud, and all of the synchronized folders will be available.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>They seem to be suggesting that you can use a cellular equipped tablet as a personal hotspot to that your PC and laptop can use it to connect to the internet.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br />I'm with Loren, the tablet is simply the link to cellular service. The tablet creates a hot spot, and your current laptop or desktop connects to the web via the tablet. You can do the same thing with an iPhone.<br /> How much could a new hub cost you?</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>The Surface Pro 3 tablet is a fully spec'd computer, on par with a MBP, that runs Windows 8.1.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>On par? Let's see, as far as I can find, maxed out version: 256GB/Intel i7-1.76Ghz for $1549 for the Surface Pro according to Microsoft's own page. Whopping 8GB of ram. <br /> 15-inch MacPro Retina display (not top of the line $1999):</p>

<ul>

<li>2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7</li>

<li>Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz</li>

<li>16GB 1600MHz memory</li>

<li>256GB PCIe-based flash storage</li>

</ul>

<p>Twice as much RAM (can you get a Surface Pro with that)? Bigger display, higher resolution. Ability to hook up a really good display system. Surface have as many ports (or ThunderBolt)?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>But both are off-topic and irrelevant here.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>As is the tablet, the answer is replace the hub which the OP is doing.</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<blockquote>

<p>Theoretically, you can edit images in an iPad, non-destructively just like in Lightroom. Cropping and resizing can be done (and undone) reliably, but color and exposure would be problematic since the iPad is not a calibrated screen.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>But not with the actual raw data, Smart Previews. <br>

X-rite would like us to believe you can calibrate the iPad and you kind of, sort of can if you don't care that 'calibration' is very unlikely to match anything else <g>. <br>

Then there's a kind of dumb workflow for raw shooters. Get the actual raws onto your desktop to build Smart Previews in LR proper, <strong>then</strong> sync them with the Adobe cloud just to get them on iPad to work (again, not real raw data), <strong>then</strong> sync back to the real machine. Seems like an excellent workflow for those who charge by the hour. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>On par? Let's see, as far as I can find, maxed out version: 256GB/Intel i7-1.76Ghz for $1549 for the Surface Pro according to Microsoft's own page. Whopping 8GB of ram. More blah blah blah...</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

Sigh. And now you're doing a MBP vs Surface shoot-out? As usual, you wish to swerve every thread into an off-topic argumentative mess. I didn't suggest that the Surface was on par with the most powerful MBP. Can you find a MBP that isn't as powerful as the top of the line SP3? Like an i5 MBP? Of course.</p>

<p>The op didn't mention anything about laptops as a wifi hub yet your first response was to suggest a $1700 MBP as a hotspot? Really? Then, directly under an on-topic and accurate post about the Surface Pro 3, you purposely enter false info that no tablets are up to the task of editing raw and none can be used in a colour managed environment...argue.net</p>

<blockquote>

<p> I didn't suggest that the Surface was on par with the most powerful MBP.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Neither did I, I suggested the Surface wasn't on par with less than the most powerful MBP and a joke for processing raw's based on what you taught me about such hardware back in August:<br>

http://www.photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00ciAw<br>

<a href="/photodb/user?user_id=788985"><strong>Eric ~</strong></a><strong> , Aug 02, 2014; 08:57 p.m.</strong></p>

<blockquote>

<p>AR: 1 year old, top of the line Retina 15" MacBook Pro. Not that this has anything to do with anything but you asked.<br>

<em>Eric~: No wonder you can't run Crashplan in the background. <strong>A laptop? You're kidding?</strong></em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>So a top of the line MacBook Pro is in your opinion a <strong>joke</strong> for backing up data to CrashPlan but a tablet with half the spec's of that machine is perfectly appropriate for processing raw files. <br>

So which is it Eric? A top of the line MPB is a joke for backing up data to the cloud but a tablet that has half the RAM, and a slower processor, is for processing raw's? Something isn't on par, that's for sure. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>The op didn't mention anything about laptops as a wifi hub yet your first response was to suggest a $1700 MBP as a hotspot?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Nope, I didn't suggest that, I suggested <strong>a new hub</strong> and I suggested a much more powerful tool for processing raw data <em>than</em> a tablet. <br>

Since again you missed what I wrote in the first post:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The issue seems to be internet connectivity right? <strong>Why</strong> throw out the baby with the bathwater, and work with a tablet <strong>instead of the more powerful tool, one you already own to fix an internet issue. Replace the hub, that's the root of your issues right?</strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p><strong> </strong></p>

<blockquote>

<p>and I suggested a much more powerful tool for processing raw data<em><br /></em></p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

You're really on a different planet. Gup is wondering about the raw file editing ability of tablets while acting as a wifi hub with his desktop PC (a powerful tool for processing) and your suggestion is to replace the hub and get a Macbook Pro laptop because it can apparently do tasks that the Surface tablet can not? Too bad for PN's sake that you're jumping at any chance to argue with members and doing it at a cost of posting false and distracting information <br>

<br>

Tablets work great as wifi hubs and instead of just having a hub, you also have tablet. Many tabs also have lte sim card slots and provide the alternative of connecting to the net with a data plan. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Gup is wondering about the raw file editing ability of tablet<strong>s</strong> while acting as a wifi hub with his desktop PC (a powerful tool for processing) and your suggestion is to replace the hub and get a Macbook Pro laptop because it can apparently do tasks that the Surface tablet can not?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I recommend to Gup he replace the hub.<br /> IF he desires a portable device to process his raw files, I recommended he get a more appropriate and powerful tool than a tablet. One that has the ability to connect to a far better display system than either the Laptop and certainly the tablet. A tablet or a Macbook (or similar) which <strong>could</strong> connect to say LTE would in that task be on par. Most everything else would not be on par. <br /> Since on your planet, it appears one must provide the identical text multiple times, I'll again paste exactly what I wrote again:</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>The issue seems to be internet connectivity right? <strong>Why</strong> throw out the baby with the bathwater, and work with a tablet <strong>instead of the more powerful tool, one you already own to fix an internet issue. Replace the hub, that's the root of your issues right?</strong></em></p>

</blockquote>

<p><em><strong><br /></strong></em>On Planet Earth where <strong>I</strong> live, for those who can read and comprehend English, the above text is <em>usually</em> understandable. It directly advises keeping the hardware currently used for raw processing (<strong><em>one you already own</em>) </strong>and fixing the issue by replacing the faulty hardware <strong>(<strong><em>Replace the hub, that's the root of your issues right?</em>). </strong></strong>Gup appears to agree with this common sense suggestion. <br /> <br /> On planet hypocrisy where I <em>think</em> you're writing from, a top of the line MacBook Pro is a joke for doing something as simple as backing up your data, but 4 months later, a product that is slower and has half the RAM is advised for raw processing.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>A high end Laptop (like top of the line MacBook) would allow you to both work in a totally color managed environment (hook up a really good external display you calibrate properly) AND without, anywhere you want to take the laptop. Using all the tools and software products that are designed to run on a desktop, not some weak, half supported OS and software <em>tools</em>. </p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

Just replace Surface with Macbook in your above "contribution"<br>

<br>

A high end Laptop (like top of the line SURFACE) would allow you to both work in a totally color managed environment (hook up a really good external display you calibrate properly) AND without, anywhere you want to take the laptop and using all the tools and software products that are designed to run on a desktop<br>

<br>

The Surface is more than capable of colour calibration and running PS and LR and is not "some weak, half supported OS and software <em>tools" </em>as you seem to be attempting to misleading us. If Apple made a comparable product to the Surface, say for instance a Macbook Air but without a keyboard, it would have been your first suggestion.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><strong>Just</strong> replace Surface with Macbook in your above "contribution"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No! Again for the 4th time, it was don't replace the existing computer with <strong>any</strong> tablet, replace the hub. <br>

As to the remark the two products are on par. Can you hook up the Surface to an external high bit, wide gamut display? Or any display for that matter? Can you get one with more than 8GB of RAM? Does it have ThunderBolt and more USB ports than a MacBook Pro? Is the display as large or can it produce the same resolution? Are both operating systems free (including new ones)? Do both have a full sized SD card slot?<br>

If not, then the two are not on par. Enough said. <br>

But the bottom line is, what makes the most sense for the OP is to fix the Hub that died. </p>

<p>Gup, I will mention this in case you don't already know it: Be very careful about data usage on cellular networks. Some plans have unlimited data usage, but most don't. And when you go over your allotted monthly usage, your bill can become astronomical -- even a couple thousand dollars or more! To further complicate matters, there's a difference between using unlimited data on a portable device (tablet, phone) and using that device to tether a device such as a computer. According to most fine print, tethered data usage is limited, even when untethered data is unlimited.</p>

<p>There is a trick you can use that gets you unlimited data usage when a computer is tethered to a mobile device. At least it works that way with Android phones. You can use June Fabrics (yes, dumb name) PdaNet software to do the tethering through a USB debugging connection. It works, and you won't be charged ridiculous sums of money for going over any data usage limit.</p>

<p>The trick is often finding an unlimited data plan on a good network that provides coverage out in the sticks. We still have our unlimited 3G plan from Verizon, as much as they keep trying to move us to a new, 4G, limited plan. Our old phones are still hanging in there. We may lose our last 3G tower soon, but so far we still have unlimited internet when we need it. (Our cellular data connection is our backup if/when cable goes out, as well as our connection to the world when we travel.)</p>

<p>If I lived in such a remote place that cable service weren't available, I'd probably get DSL. If DSL weren't available, I'd consider satellite, which imposes data limits. I think cellular would be my last choice.</p>

<p>Thank you all, again, for your input. <br>

Update: I drove to the city and purchased a new internet 'Rocket Hub' to replace the broken one. Apparently falling from a 4' high speaker tower is detrimental to their well-being. Who knew?<br>

The hub was $320, up considerably from the $150 I spent 3 years ago, but this one has portable benefits as it is rechargeable. I don't know if I will benefit from that feature but time will tell. The tablets I could buy with cellular features started at more than double that amount and as was discussed here in detail probably not up to my post processing needs. So, no new toy for Gup this year. <br>

Sarah, Merry Christmas! So nice to see you here. As for my internet situation, no DSL service is available here as I am at the end of a very antiquated telephone line. I actually had to install the last three poles myself 24 years ago. Until the cell tower was installed 3 years ago I was on the slowest dial-up imaginable, varying between 18 and 24 bps (I think was the terminology) and couldn't even upload to Photo.net. In fact downloading a page here took several minutes some days. Satellite reception is available but I had that installed 4 years ago and then promptly removed the next day. I managed to exceed my monthly quota in three hours on YouTube and they 'frapped' me for a week (shut me right down). I was not happy and neither were two brides I had promised photos to that weekend. I thought I was entering the modern world and bragged to them I would have an internet presence by that weekend. Doh! So, now I'm a slave to the cell tower and pay $60 for 10 gigs a month and $10 a gig for any overage. No streaming, Skyping or downloading in this house. That is the best deal available to me and only because I qualify for their 'loyalty' discount. The bill goes through the roof when two certain young women find their way home, usually with friends in tow, and proceed to practice their new found city ways with Macbooks and i-gadgets of all description. I read a sign today that said, "Children are the gift that keeps on taking"... :)<br>

Lex, Merry Christmas, to you as well. I did look at the Kindle, Samsung and Apple offerings. The cellular option was nearly $200 more for the Apple tablets. I can't remember what the others were or if I even found a Kindle with that option, which was my first priority. I got advice from a number of other more plugged-in members of the younger team as well that unanimously pointed to the hub solution.<br>

I hope you all enjoy this holiday season and are able to celebrate and touch base with family, loved ones and friends. My actual Christmas has been delayed until tomorrow to accommodate my Queen who was required in the local ICU all week so this is my Christmas Eve. That means reaching to the back of the shelf for the 'good' scotch ;)<br>

Cheers!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Eric, I just received an email from Costco.ca advertising the Surface Pro 3 for: </p>

<p >Valid for orders placed 12/24/14 to 01/01/15.</p>

Online Price$1,199.99

Less-$80.00

Your Price$1,119.99

It looks like an exciting alternative to a regular Windows based laptop but it doesn't state anywhere that it has the cellular hot-spot capability. I also have a laptop with similar componentry that cost less than half that amount 2 years ago. Of course, with a 15" screen and weighing in at considerably more.

<p>I doubt the Surface has LTE. Up here when living rural, we use those usb lte turbo sticks that come with the cell plan. They plug into the laptop/desktop/Surface or you can even get modem wifi docks for them now. My turbo stick has a connection for a Wilson antenna and on sunny days, I was able to get a bit more gain with it.</p>

<p>Lex and his Kindle suggestion was the cheapest option. It has lte and should act as a wifi hub. The Nexus and iPad tablets both have lte models and are found cheap on eBay/CL but good luck processing D800 files on them :)<br>

<br /><br />If you're not using a usb rocket air card stick Gup, I'd like to see what hardware connects you to your tower and what you spent $320 on?</p>