Loose lens mount on my D3s

etphoto

<p>I got a question. First, a little background.<br>

I've been having focusing lock issues on my D3s. Drove me nuts. Finally, after about the 5th wedding, I discovered the lens mount on my camera body was pretty loose. To correct the problem I just tightened the screws down and everything worked. Yet, the screws keep loosening after about 3 hours of shooting. I can't even get through a whole wedding and the screws loosen and the focusing lock issue returns. I change lens a lot (which is probably part of the problem) but the camera is made for that and shouldn't be an issue.</p>

<p>I spent a few hours on the internet trying to find someone with the same issue and can't.</p>

<p>My question. Would putting lock tight on the screws be a no no for a lens mount on the camera body? anyone know?</p>

<p>ET</p>

<p>It is actually a fairly common problem and not just with the D3s. I used to tighten the body and lens mount screws fairly often on my F3 and F5 and a good friend of mine who shoots a D3 keeps the right size screw driver in their camera bag all of the time.. I dont think I would use lock tight on them as I would worry about it getting places it shouldn't.</p>

<p>I do believe if you take the screw out one at a time and put some clear fingernail polish on it then wipe the excess off and reinstall you should be good to go. You want only enough for the screw to be tacky.</p>

<p>Or you can send it in the Nikon and have them fix it.</p>

<p>Thanks Michael. I considered sending it in to Nikon but only shoot with too cameras and right now too busy to go without this camera. I guess I could rent or barrow one. Was just looking for a quick fix until I slow down in February and before next year's wedding season.</p>

<p>I've been shooting Nikon for almost 40 years with Nikkormat, FM, F2, D200 and D7000 and have never ever had a lens mount become loose. Used to change lenses dozens of times a day (primes). A touch of fingernail polish might do the job as suggested but I would definitely have it looked at. Is your other body doing this?</p>

<p>Thanks guys. Craig, I've been shooting Nikon for 28 years and in the same boat as you. Never had a camera do this. My other camera, although not a D3s, isn't doing this. I think I might try the "TINY" amount of locktite and see how it works out for this weekend's wedding. Again, thanks for the replies.</p>

<p>re: plastic, you're correct but I dont think the lens mount screws are going into plastic, they're going into the metal body/shell.</p>

<p>Actually, they make a purple version which is lower strength than blue (since blue is actually for somewhat larger screws). the secret is the tiny amount, you really really do not want to use too much.</p>

<p>I used the blue. Took the screws out, one at a time, and used a toothpick to add a tiny amount to each screw. I was extra careful to not get any blue anywhere other than the screw and screw hole. The weird thing was, while applying the material I examined the screws and they looked undamaged, almost new like. Why the hell they keep backing themselves out of the camera body, just enough to loosen the mount and cause focus lock issues, is beyond me. </p>

<p>+1 to saying that the screws don't go into plastic, not on any pro or semi-pro Nikon body anyway. Otherwise that 70-200 f/2.8 zoom or 400mm f/4 lens would rip the mount clean off in double-quick time!</p>

<p>Use a tiny drop of Loctite or nail varnish applied with a small sewing needle.</p>