WPPC (Weekly Post-Processing Challenge) - November 16, 2014

<p>Good choice of image for this weeks post-processing challenge, Michael.<br>

Personally I clearly prefer and appreciate most Sarah's and Lex's professional touch to the image.<br>

I learn a lot from these weekly challenges.<br>

Bill, you have succeed the challenge and deserve a PN Icon all by yourself. Thanks.</p>

<p>Here is my version . In cs6, first layer transform-perspective. copied this layer 3 more times.Layers 2 to 4 used transform- warp, aligned layers for size, sun and branches.Cloned out flare north of sun and branch tips which would not align. Converted first layer to BW.</p><div>00cxtH-552644984.jpg.522cf95689826091d8cb8a5041d971f5.jpg</div>

<p>Sunil, would love to see your version, but you must not have posted it correctly as it appears very small. Easiest way to post is to save it sized at 700 on the longest end (lengthwise in this case), and attach the file after you've submitted your text response ( not sure if you already knew that). </p>

<p>Thanks Anders. Even though I'm a long way from a special photo.net icon and don't ever expect to get there, I appreciate the sentiment (well, unless you were talking to the other Bill, in which case, fuggedaboudit).</p>

<p>If no one comes forward to post a challenge image by late Saturday (US East Coast time), I'll post one even though I'd prefer to have different people post each week. The challenge will make for a nice diversion during the winter months (in half of the world anyway) when the weather keeps many inside more, I think. I can only imagine how creative the edits will get with all that time on participants' hands.</p>

<p>Thanks, Anders, but you're too kind! I personally think my version was rather lack-luster. I was impressed with how much shadow detail Gordon pulled out, and it made me question my workflow. I've typically turned to color channels first, when doing a mono conversion, and then I've done my tonal manipulations through application of a curve thereafter. However, when I did this, I seem to have lost some of my precious little shadow detail. When I applied curves first and did the mono conversion later (on a second attempt), I had so much more to work with. I never would have explored this, were it not for Gordon's post -- which is the point of these exercises!<br>

<br /> And as always, I really enjoy Line's take. The ravens in the sky are a delight!</p>

<p>Converted this to B&W in raw then some minor cropping.<br /><em> It's a failed settlement on Mars in the year 2088. There is hope for a new settlement, but still a generation away... an overcrowded Earth awaits as calmly as it can with its overstuffed population of 16 billion and oil at 506 EUROARAB / barrel ...</em></p><div>00cy6S-552682484.jpg.d5c1d03b88d8c5f9d5b5a71bd98988f3.jpg</div>

<p>I first cropped the image.<br>

I then thought, there is nothing a person can do with this photo but try to create a mood. It is really a photo that most people would simply discard after taking as it is not that interesting to look at, but I tried to create a mood rather than dismissing it.<br>

First I corrected the light curve some bringing up the highlights and down the blacks. I applied a NIK Analog efex pro filter called “wet plate nine.” There are a few wet plate filters inside this NIK filter package and most looked just as good. But I had to choose one. Later I increased the saturation to bring out some color so as to make it not a total black and white photo. That is all I did. No matter what just "forgeadaboudit."</p>

<p> </p><div>00cy9x-552689684.jpg.6de5e9e57a8d838d1e8b4c0e54f0b57a.jpg</div>