Arches & Canyonlands

mariodennis

<p>In December I will be in Moab where I plan on shooting in Arches and Canyonlands NPs, plus Deadhorse Point (and a few other places later in the week). Altogether I will have 4 sunrises and 3 sunsets to devote to Arches/Canyonlands/Deadhorse Point.<br>

I'm interested in recommendations for the best places for sunrises and sunsets in the area. I have Martres' book and several other references, but I'm interested in hearing from folks who have shot there.<br>

Thanks--<br>

Mario</p>

<p>"there's usually a crowd"........lol, good one Robert</p>

<p>well, being there in December you probably won't have to worry about being crowded, kicked, knee'd in the back or having 10 tripods trying to squeeze into your spot at Mesa Arch</p>

<p>if you haven't already, use the spots Martres suggests and the ones you have picked out in conjunction with the photographers ephemeris before you go and when your there keep tabs on the weather forecasts...and have back-up plans......i was there in late September and slept in the back of my SUV so i was able to be at most sites with minimal drive time but if your staying in Moab count on 45-60 minute drive times to the farthest points in Arches and Canyonlands<br>

my only suggestion is in Canyonlands for sunrise or sunset at the Green River overlook....when your at the overlook you'll see a mound/ridge below a tall mesa about 500yds away on the right......hike and climb over that mound and you'll have the best view and with lots of great foreground material...and a backside view of candlestick tower<br>

also, Long Canyon Rd. between Dead Horse and 279 was open for 4wd only when i was there so if you were gonna use that to get over to Corona Arch check at the visitor center first.......have fun</p><div>00cuQT-552025884.jpg.4ad906246b431b934c7c91ffc75e3c6a.jpg</div>

<p>In addition to sunrises and sunsets, check out the opportunity to get the moon in your shots. You can download the APP Photographers Ephemeris to your pc or laptop or mobile device and use it to plan shots knowing exactly when and where the sun and moon will be. Going from memory, three to four days before full moon usually results with a moonrise during late afternoon light which will afford you good opportunity to place the moon near a remarkable arch or formation.<br>

http://photoephemeris.com/tpe-for-desktop<br>

Joe Smith</p>

<p>You've got to experience sunrise at Mesa Arch. Potential for incredible images if the sun comes through. It really is amazing. Be there at least 90 min before dawn. Be ready to rumble. Most hostile collection of photogs I've ever seen. Knowing how to do an armbar from half-guard may come in handy. In all seriousness the tempers seemed to calm once the sun was actually up and people were clicking away. Patio Dive-In in Blanding has awesome burgers if you make it down that far south.</p>

<p>Hi Mario, <br>

In this <a href="http://www.jairophoto.com/blog/photography-guide-national-parks-in-utah-and-arizona/">photography guide to Utah and Arizona</a> I recently posted you may find some useful info on sunsets and sunrises in Canyonlands and Dead Horse State Park. I photographed there four years ago and I was blown away! Have fun!<br>

Jairo</p>

<p>If the approach I take here isn't what you want, apologies in advance.</p>

<p>I've spent a bit of time travelling and photographing in Red Rock country, and have been in both the parks you mention on multiple occasions. But I haven't been since 2001. Partly that's because I think its possible to saturate yourself with bright orange rocks and overdone blue skies ( and it was possible to saturate me certainly). The second and most powerful reason can be summarised by the "Mesa Arch Zoo" photograph that forms part of Mr Rodriguez' post. Its not just Mesa Arch, and its not just the desert southwest either. The main vistas are just rammed early in the morning and maybe ( depends on the spot) at sunset too. For me, this number of people, often with no manners and who will happily walk or set up within your shot just as long as they get something themselves , simply spoils the photographic experience. Its worsened by the fact that in most of the SW parks there are a half dozen or so shots that are clearly more interesting than most of the alternatives you might find. What's more, the light at the ends of the day is just massively more attractive and photogenic than even an hour earlier or later, so its not just that the traffic is concentrated at a few spots, its also that it happens in a very small part of the day. Look at Mr Polimeros' second photograph. Nothing the matter with the composition, its just that the light is totally flat and uninteresting. Few people will take that shot in great light because they're off trying to get "their version" of the Utah icons. </p>

<p>So here's the thing. I would not in a million years spend my mornings and evenings in the company of so many photographers and photographic tours (that often seem to have a sense of entitlement) at Mesa Arch, at North Window /Turret Arch, at Delicate Arch, Dead Horse Point and so on, where all I'm going to get is (if I'm lucky) photographs that have been taken a million times and quite a few better than mine. I'd be more inclined to go to other parks which are less busy (eg Capital Reef). If I were wedded to Arches and Canyonlands, I'd spend my unproductive days seeing the sights and searching out places where I might get decent photographs at the ends of the day in relative solitude, where I could consider the photographs to be mine and remember the good times I had finding and getting them. They would not be so iconic, but they might be closer to unique.</p>

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...