Alternative to 24-70 that is lighter

darya_a1

<p>The LX100 has an M4/3 sensor but isn't able to use the whole sensor area. It's really about 80% of a 4/3 camera. But anyway.</p>

<p>Darya, a Powershot is a mirrorless camera in the sense of not having a mirror. But usually these days the term mirrorless refers to interchangeable lens mirrorless such as M4/3, Fuji X and Sony NEX. With those, you have a real DSLR replacement, because with the large sensor and the lens options you can get the same functionality. </p>

<p>You have to know that the Nikon 24-70 is one of the very best lenses made, but I concur that it is not a good fit for DX (for most people). You just won't get that kind of speed and accuracy with anything else. However, I use a Df, which is pretty small for FX, and I consider a 24-70 too large for that camera. I am awaiting delivery of a Panasonic LX100, which I think is lights out for a small carry camera. I think the 4K still image mode is going to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. The purpose of this camera is photos of my grand children. But any time I want to do something really nice, particularly in low light, nothing can replace a Df, IMO.<br /> For anything larger than the LX100, there is nothing wrong with the camera you have. The suggestions of the Sigma and Tamron 17-50 lenses is excellent. The Tamron (non VC version) is smaller and lighter, and it gives you great corner to corner performance right from f2.8. The Sigma adds OS, but it is larger and heavier. It's strength is excellent center performance at all focal lengths right from f2.8. I think you could get real happy with either of them for different reasons.</p>

• 4 months later...
<p>LX100 comes with an integrated F1.7-2.8 Leica lens. You can also attached a .66X angle lens (16mm) and a 2X tele converter (150mm). I love this system and the quality is just fantastic. Can't get much more compact while still retaining the lens quality, sensor size, and full manual controls. Link: http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=1078669</p>