Nikon D810 - formatting memory cards

erik_christensen3

<p>/eye-kon/ vs /ee-kon/</p>

<blockquote>

<p>You say either and I say either,<br /> You say neither and I say neither<br /> Either, either neither, neither<br /> Let's call the whole thing off.<br>

<em>Louis Armstrong</em></p>

</blockquote>

• 1 month later...

<p>I have just tried a friends D700 and my own D300 and 700 and contacted others, who have these cameras and they behave exactly as mine! However, I learned that when using the 2 buttoms simultaneously, you wait until the top display shows the blinking FOR and then press one time more, then it format the memory card and delete the photos, as if it had been formatted via the menu. They admit, it had been learned from a video, as nothing of it is mentioned in the manual. Cameras have been purchased in Europe and Asia. Could it be different software installed originally?<br>

The issue is solved, but I am a little puzzled, that members of PN says the 2 functions are exactly the same, and others have found a function, which is not even mentioned in the manual -:)</p>

<p>I have today received the following from Nikon Denmark: <br>

The method with the 2 buttons is functioning perfectly, provided it is fulfilled correctly.</p>

<p>Do the following: keep the 2 buttons down until the word FOR starts blinking in the topdisplay. Release the buttoms and press both of them again a few seconds,<br>

then the memory card has been formated.<br>

This method is valid for all Nikon DSLR, provided that the camera has the 2 buttoms marked "Format".</p>

<p>If there is 2 memory cards in the camera, then it is only the memory card, which has been set to primary card, which will be formatted by using this method.<br>

In this case the best solution is to format the memory card(s) via the menu. <br>

unquote <br>

This just for information.</p>

<p>Regardless of whether you use the "two-button press" method or the menu to format your memory cards, Nikon provides some safeguards to prevent unintentional formatting, which would have led to losing important images.</p>

<p>That is why you need to push those two buttons and hold them down for a short while, and the camera top LCD will flash For (format). You then let go and then immediately press on those two buttons again; formatting will begin immediately. Those two buttons are on opposite sides of the camera so that one typically needs to use both hands.</p>

<p>From the menu, when you select format, there is a yes/no confirmation step where the default is no. Again, you need to confirm so that you pretty much have to be doing this on purpose.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If there is 2 memory cards in the camera, then it is only the memory card, which has been set to primary card, which will be formatted by using this method.<br /> In this case the best solution is to format the memory card(s) via the menu.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>BTW, for those Nikon DSLRs with two memory card slots such as the D810, after you press those two buttons and while the top LCD is flashing For, you can use the main command dial to choose which card to format, before you press the two buttons again to confirm formatting. It is still not necessary to go to the menu.</p>