Nikkor 80-200 F/2.8 AF-S focus stutter

bruce_maddox

<p>I have a newly purchased Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 AF-S that struggles to lock focus for a second or more. The stuttering becomes extremely rapid before it locks focus. It's not a normal behavior. The ring motor does not squeal, but stutters in a rapid, quiet manner typical of the near silent operation I have known these lenses to exhibit. My question is, based on any experience you may have, is this a potential electrical contact issue, or perhaps another characteristic of a failing focus motor. I've owned two copies in the past, and had good luck before ultimately selling them. My copy looks as if it were never used. It's sharper than my Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 version 1. Thanks for your comments.</p>

<p>I had thesame issue with my 28-70 afs lens. It wouldnt lock and then would stop. I tried cleaning the contacts and mounting and remounting but to no avail. There is an af indicator mechanism that tells the focus cam where to move. It focused on a person but would move back and forth around 1-2 inches and try to focus but couldnt lock and find what i asked it to lock on. <br>

I used nrc<br>

http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00caj0</p>

<p>I wouldnt go to nikon at all. I have a feeling they wont repair it for reasons I believe are for u to buy a new updated model. Try aps. Just be aware that if its the piezo motor (swm) ur looking at a steep price and it may not be worth it as u can get the vr1 for around 1100 in mint used. <br>

I dont believe any repair place at all. I believe the vast majority are shady peoe and they can tell replace this and that and u wouldnt know if its true or not. I dont know Daniel from nrc before i repaired mine but he posts pictures and explains whats going on with the lens. <br>

If i didnt need the 10mm id buy the 80-200 afs as i believe its sharper than my vr. I was depressed when mine was stolen. I loved the hefty body. Shame that swm werent so durable. Afd never failed me. </p>