5Ds /Ds-r gimmick?

alexo

<p>That's just incredible! This is the type of detail you'd get from med format film. I used to have two sets of systems when I shot film: I had the Canon FD for my walk around, portable type of photography and then I had the Mamiya 645 and Mamiya C220 for studio and macro related work. Even though it cost quite a bit of money to buy the cameras and lenses, and accessories, it was NOTHING compared to springing for $40k for a digital back, which is bound to be obsolete 5 years from now. <br /><br />So, I'm happy to see that perhaps I won't need to keep 2 systems, I won't have to spend a small fortune on super expensive lenses and that for around $4k, I'll be able to get a camera that will probably last me 10-15 years, while still maintaining my current set of lenses! Super!</p>

<p>Believe me, Alexander, it will make sharper shots than that, even with this lens.</p>

<p><a href="/photo/17967458&size=lg"><em><strong>Here is a test shot</strong></em></a> made with that inexpensive lens. Please scroll down the page to see crops. If you go through the entire folder, you will see other lenses tested informally with the D800E. The tests are not rigorous, to say the least, simply illustrative.</p>

<p>The Canons will do even better. I think that you can put your mind at ease about whether or not your existing Canon lenses can do the job.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p>That's just great! Thanks, Landrum. I see the the color fringing as being a bigger issue with the lens than resolution. However, color fringing will always be an issue regardless of the camera's resolution.<br /><br />I think you're right 100% that given the test shots you've posted using the 36mp Nikon, the current set of lenses, even inexpensive ones should be able to do the job.</p>

<p>Thank you! </p>

<p>About this shot Lannie, I notice you'd VR on at 1/2000s.<br>

There are a lot of opinions that VR can be contra productive at speeds faster than 1/500s and I shut it off under such conditions. Did you made the experience and concluded this is not the cad, pls?<br>

(Sorry for the side question Alexander)</p>

<p>Leave VR and IS on at high shutter speeds, particularly when using long lenses. It allows you to more accurately track a moving subject.</p>

<p>Even with a mostly still subject, sometimes you need to aim your single-point AF between shafts of grass:</p>

<p><a title="Coyote In Grass by David Stephens, on Flickr" href=" Coyote In Grass src="https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8755/16956246461_d02a528ecb_c.jpg" alt="Coyote In Grass" width="800" height="534" /></a></p>

<p>With modern Canon lenses, and I assume so for Nikon, there's absolutely no point in turning it off.</p>

<p>Fantastic! There's an incredible amount of detail within your crop and given it's such a small area of the overall image, the resolution is out of this world! I can certainly see how a beautiful 30x40" print can be produced with even a 36mp 810. The lenses hold up beautifully. Awesome!</p>

<p>Alexander, I wish that I had used a tripod, just so that you could see what it can really do.</p>

<p>Your new Canon will do even better. Keep in mind as well that I used a very inexpensive lens here, although I think that it does quite well stopped down. I really was testing it as a backup for my f/2.8 mid-range zoom.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p>Well, it was stopped down to f/8, at which point some people say that the D800E resolves no better than the D800 because of diffraction effects. I have no idea how to assess that claim other than to do my own test shots. </p>

<p>I try to shoot at f/5.6 on landscapes in general on the D800E, provided that that is appropriate for the depth of field I want, just in case diffraction effects begin to erode the image enough to make a difference between f/5.6 and f/8. I guess that I could do some test shots at both apertures in order to see if I could tell the difference. At higher than f/8, diffraction effects are pretty obvious with this degree of resolution. The Canon will, I presume, be more demanding in that regard. </p>

<p>I do a lot of cropping, and so I really value the high number of pixels.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p>I don't engage in the sort of nitpicking that I see people engaging in on the Internet where they try to split hairs with regard to sharpness, bokeh, etc. It's important for me to know that there is going to be enough resolution provided by the camera/lens combo to ensure a beautiful, large print. I'm not going to adjust my photography based on the aperture that provides the optimal sharpness. Rather, my aperture choice will be based on the circumstances and the subject that I'm shooting. It'll be based upon whether or not I want to isolate the background or keep the entire image in focus. Artistic expression has very little, if anything to do with optimal sharpness.</p>

<p>I agree, Alexander. I won't shoot at f/5.6 if f/8 gives me the DOF I want. I also agree that many persons seem to act as if the maximum possible resolution must be achieved with every shot in order to make high-res cameras useful (or even justifiable). All the way around (except for file size), I have enjoyed the D800E, and I am sure that you will enjoy the big Canon.</p>

<p>I'm also not above using the D800E for snaps if it just happens to be the camera I am carrying when I see a good shot. I like to have the D7000 in the car when I go out with the D800E, though, since it is pointless to fill the card up with big files if I get into a situation where the smaller camera is likely to be more useful. Usually, though, I will come to regret using the D7000 after I get back and realize that its resolution (16 mp on a crop sensor camera) was not really up to the task. That is all the more likely the more I have to crop. That is when the D800E becomes more and more useful. I have never once regretted buying it. There are days, though, when I wish that I had something between 16mp and 36mp. I shot the 5D II for years and found that level of resolution quite useful for nearly everything I shot. Had I not had financial difficulties, I would still be shooting it--or maybe the 5D III.</p>

<p>Most of all, when it comes to the D800E (and now the big Canons), I just love having near MF results with the portability of 35mm. As I said, I have never looked back. If I had the money, I would buy one of the new Canons, but I don't see enough income coming in to be able to plan to go back to shooting FF with two brands. I still keep my T2i, though. I have had some kind of Canon camera since 1982, and they have never let me down. I also miss my big EF lenses.</p>

<p>Dan South is one of the few photographers on the site whom I know of who shoots both FF Canon and Nikon. That is two sets of big lenses. Whew!</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p>I wouldn't sweat it too much. I guarantee you that it won't be long before Nikons announces a 55mp or a 60mp FF camera. Then, all the Canon guys will be selling their Canons and getting the Nikon gear. <br /><br />I agree with you as well that it's nice having MF type of resolution in a 35mm package. I shot MF when I was shooting film and I always wanted a MF camera with the bright viewfinder, lightweight and flexibility of a 35mm. I guess if you live long enough, you wind up literally seeing everything. :D</p>

<p>Alexander, I never really thought that I would see 50mp on a FF sensor during my lifetime. I thought that Canon or someone might come in with 45 or so, but I would not have expected 50. I am glad that I have been alive while digital photography was coming of age as a popular medium. I wish that I had bought a 3.2mp Sony back when 3.2 was the rage. As it was, it was early 2002 before I started shooting digital.</p>

<p>I will say this about the D800E. I don't much like to shoot it above ISO 3200, even lower where possible. I do have a low-light Nikon (a used D3s from eBay), but there again is that big gap in my arsenal between 12 or 16, on the one hand, and 36 on the other. I'm not really complaining, of course. I am lucky to have what I have, given my financial circumstances. I just hope that I can keep it. Times are still tight for some of us.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>