Recycling the Winebox

<p>Bought sight-unseen for $20 plus $15 for the freight, "a vintage camera and accessories". I'm pleased; the camera is the original Yashica SLR, the Reflex 35 (also known as the Penta J), it's tidy and in working condition and it has the original clip-on accessory meter, still reacting strongly to changes of light. Yippee! Not too many of these left in captivity... The camera has the original 50mm Yashinon 50mm f/2 lens, and included in the odds and ends is an interesting-looking 28mm Chinonflex f/2.8 lens and a 200mm Hanimar 4.5 pre-set lens that looks very much like the equivalent Yashinon of that era. The other bits and pieces are interesting, but not of very much use, but it's always nice to get a complete outfit. Looks as if the rain is going to set in this afternoon, so a little cleaning and polishing might be undertaken... I just thought you might be interested to see what turns up in New Zealand wine boxes.</p>

<p>Now that's a hard one, wine or old cameras...hmm...maybe if the cameras were a complete Alpa outfit, that would be better than the wine.<br>

Still, for fifteen bucks you have a nice outfit there,and those original Yashicas are thin on the ground. The 50mm Yashinon is a good 'un, as will be the Chinonflex. I'm also doing some cleaning and polishing too, as my cameras are brought back into the world. The rain seems to be receding here, and some hot stuff is on the way, starting with New Years' day....which is typical.</p>

<p>Here we go; a couple of hours work with a variety of tiny tools and assorted cloths and liquids and the old Yashica is looking pretty good, all "shipshape and Bristol fashion" as my naval father used to say. Aside from a slight deterioration of the mirror, common in a SLR of this age, it's fairly hard to fault. The meter reads within a half-stop of my Lunasix, quite a remarkable performance from an ancient selenium meter. The Yashica UV filter in the foreground came attached to the lens, and is a very solid object. They don't make them like that, anymore! All in all, it's been an enjoyable day.</p><div>00d2Th-553680784.jpg.829691e3cd1e91ab60c948affecfee79.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks, <strong>Gary</strong>. <strong>Tony, </strong>you obviously have expensive tastes in wine boxes...Santa's little alpas? Hope you get some better weather. You're right, <strong>Chuck</strong>, it wasn't a huge sum to gamble but it's nice when you don't feel like binning the contents of a box as soon as you open it. Yes, it's an M42 mount; this particular little pre-set semi-auto lens (as has been noted before) is pretty much a dead ringer for the equivalent Takumar, and this one arrived with Pentax lens hood and cap. It does make one wonder...</p>