What flash do I need for my new D7100?

stephen_marcos

<p>First time posting and I'd like to know what flash you recommend for my new D7100? There are so many flashes or is it Speedlight's online I don't know which one to choose. On eBay there are a bunch of flashes to choose from starting at $40.00 and going up to $500.00 or more. I want one that'll let me use flash at family gatherings and events and doesn't take for ever to recharge.</p>

<p>+1 to the Nissin Di866 MkII. Best value flash out there IMHO. Not cheap, but a lot less expensive than Nikon's SB-910, while offering the same power and a few extra facilities like a sub flash and interchangeable battery holders. Recycle time is about 4 seconds from a full-power flash with freshly charged NiMH AA cells. User interface is a bit simpler than Nikon's as well.</p>

<p>I was going to go with one of the cheaper off-brand flashes, but decided to pay a little more for the SB-700 and have no regrets. It seems like when I buy cheaper I wonder if I second-guess my decision the whole time I own it. When I don't, I quickly forget about the extra I paid. Anyhow, I really like the SB-700, quite a bit better than the SB-600 I used to have.</p>

<p>I like Mike R's viewpoint. I might flinch at the initial cost of the Nikon product but I never regret it later.<br /><br />I've already got a collection of SB-800 and 900's. But I might consider the Yongnuo YN-568EX only for use as tertiary emergency backups.<br /><br /><br /></p>

<p>Stephen,<br>

If you just need a flash for family gatherings that is hassle-free for your Nikon D7100, the obvious solution is the Nikon SB 400. There is only one button on it: ON and OFF. It will swivel and give the correct lighting commanded by the camera. I use one on my pro Nikons and it does the job admirably there too.</p>

<p> </p>

• 1 month later...

I have a d7100 and just bought a Di866. Works fine, EXCEPT it will not connect to the D7100 using a flash cord at all. I tried an SC-17 and an SC-29 and neither of them worked. The D7100 doesn't

even know there is a flash attached.

Works fine in wireless mode and all other modes.

Alan