Pricing for group shot and 75 head shots

<p>Okay, guys, here is a little more info. Yes, it IS a big job....probably bigger than I realized when I agreed to do it. But I do have a passion for this group. This is a men's chorus....an exceptional one in which my own son sings. I know a lot of the guys in it, and they have been following my photographic journey. Though it's a non-profit and they do have to watch the bottom line, they offered this job to me thinking I may want the experience, being fresh from photo school. We discussed what they wanted, they asked if I felt confident doing a job like this, I showed them some of the work I did this summer, and I decided that I would do it. They offered to pay me, but I just decided I would do it for free.....originally hoping that I could write it off on taxes, which turns out not to be the case. Though I'm a perfectionist (by profession as a classical violinist) and intend to do a great job for them, I also realize that doing a big job like this (under pressure with time constants and all day long of shooting) is something I haven't had experience with. So I'm doing this as much for the experience as I am for the connections. And by so doing, I'm helping out people who mean a lot to me. Since I've been home from school, I've already had 3 people or families contact me about doing their portraits, just by word of mouth. I have no idea what to charge them either.....gosh, I really wish I had taken the business portion of the school. But I know there are online resources, and I'll also get online and take a look at what some photographers are charging.</p>

<p>FYI.....I can't shoot each guy for 10 minutes because I have a concert of my own at 5:30 on that day. They realize the time constraints. I was planning on 4-6 minutes per person, and I've asked if 8-10 of them could start earlier at 9:00. If I'm set up and ready to go, and get someone to facilitate the flow so there are no long waits, I'm confident it will be long enough for me to get several good shots. </p>

<p>At any rate, I appreciate the dialog about this. It's interesting for me to 'hear' different perspectives. Thank you gentlemen!</p>

<p>A bit of wisdom from a really old guy. Don't undercharge because of your lack of experience -- it is really hard to raise your price later. If there are other photographers in your community, you need to work with them. When I was doing this back in the day one of my best sources of work were my colleagues. Though we might seem competitors, we would work as assistants for each other and provide a surge capability when one of us could not cover a job. To get experience offer to work with the others as an apprentice. Never undercut the price that others in the community charge -- that is a disservice to everyone. One of the big mistakes photographers make getting into the business is not understanding the business. Taking the picture is a small part of the "business" of photography. Like any other business you have all of the administrative costs and more than your share of customer relations costs. It is easy to estimate the direct costs, but it is the indirect costs that will eat you alive and make the difference between success and failure. If a customer cannot afford to pay you, there is no reason for you to subsidize their costs.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Don't undercharge because of your lack of experience </p>

</blockquote>

<p><br />Does nobody read the OP's stuff any more?<br>

</p>

<blockquote>

<p>it is really hard to raise your price later</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

I'd like to see some hard evidence on this. There is plenty of evidence that says the opposite. Most people I know took low cost or free jobs starting out.<br>

</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Never undercut the price that others in the community charge</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

Unless "the community" is taking care of fledgling photographers, there is no reason to do things for "the community." This is business and people can do what they want. There's no union or professional association enforcing pricing.<br>

</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If a customer cannot afford to pay you, there is no reason for you to subsidize their costs.</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

1. There are plenty of reasons including charitable ones. 2. Some photos requiring access are quite sellable to a variety of clients and getting access as a trade is a good deal. I made thousands of dollars from individual fight images while agreeing to shoot free for a gym that gave a lot to the kids in the area.</p>

<p>Jeff, my advice was general and based on years of experience. Try raising your price to a customer you've dealt with for years. It is far easier to price reasonably and offer a discount than to set the price lower and raise it. My experience is that the "community" does a pretty good job of taking care of fledgeling photographers and squashing those that don't want to be members of the club. Doing something for charity has no relationship to subsidizing a customers' expense. The two should not be confused. You confuse shooting for yourself as the customer and shooting for the customer. I used to do a lot of travel photojournalist work. The magazines I shot for did not really pay much more than expenses -- but I got rights to many of the images and all of the ones they didn't use. I would accept these assignments to get the other shots -- but in that case I was a "customer" as well. You conflated my discussion in ways that it was never intended.</p>

<p>Michael....next time! :-) I'll start researching the local area's pricing. Thanks!</p>

<p>E.J......advice accepted. Thank you! I realize what you say is true about so many other factors being involved in pricing. Fortunately, I don't need to make a living at photography. I'm in the position of being able to shoot what I want when I want, but making some money in the process wouldn't be such a bad thing! :-) Mostly, I just want projects that fulfill me in some way. </p>

<p>Jeff.... As in your situation, I think doing charity (or pro bono) work can lead to good things.....in more ways than one. I'm actually going to shoot for an organization called Help-Portrait....http://help-portrait.com. And I'm exploring a couple of other options as well for donating my services to worthy causes.</p>

<p>Thank you all!</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>Hi Christal,<br>

I read your passage for doing a 75 Headshots to a corporation which is a huge undertaking, you were fortunate to have a few people offer great advice. Michael for example seemed quite experienced in this area... Now, that I assume you went ahead and did it! What did you learn from it? What would you have done differently?</p>

<p>Thanks for sharing,<br>

Carlos</p>