Integrated Walking Pole + Tripod - 4th Year University Project Participation

james_mckernan

<p>Hi guys,<br /><br />First post on the forums and I'm hoping to get a positive reception. I am a 4th year university student studying product design and I am currently doing my final year project. For this project I have to design a complete product of my own conception and right now I am at the research stage. The product I am creating is very much a legitimate design and the research is the key to its fruition.<br /><br />So what is this product I speak of? Well, I wouldn't be posting on this forum without good reason. The product I am designing is a combination of a trekking pole, for hiking/hillwalking/skiing/any activity involving walking poles, with that of a camera tripod.<br /><br />I'm posting on this forum to get some feedback from the genuine people in my target market. I would really, really appreciate if you could take the time to fill out my research survey, it should only take a few minutes and hopefully shouldn't bore you. This survey will go a long way to helping me establish the specifications of my product and the requirements and needs of the user. There is a more detailed description of the product and the idea behind it on the survey.<br /><br /><a href="http://fluidsurveys.com/surveys/cptjamesmckernan/hikepod-a-trekking-pole-and-a-camera-tripod/">Survey</a><br /><br />Thank you very, very much for taking the time and please, if you have any comments, questions or wish to share an opinion do not hesitate, everything helps.</p>

<p>IMHO you've fallen into the trap of trying to meet too many needs instead of concentrating on a subset and producing the best out there at a competitive price. There are lots of item out there which meet some but not all of your criteria, across a variety of prices and effectiveness. One tool for all jobs doesn't appeal to me as it involves compromises and includes features I don't find meaningful. Just as one camera for all types of pictures doesn't cut it either. But good luck in your project, I'm sure you'll have lots of feedback.</p>

<p>I began trying to take the survey but stopped, because many of the questions cannot be answered without knowing a bit more of how the product will end up performing and what it would cost. </p>

<p>How can I know how often I'd use it, or whether it would work better than what I now use, or than other items on the market, with so little information? </p>

<p>Good luck James.<br>

So far I used my camera support only once as walking aid, back when I was heavily under influence.<br>

As stated in your survey before: I am freaking tall (at least compared to the Asian compact pygmies tripod and monopod manufacturers appear to be catering) and I usually shoot compact (D)SLRs and similar gear. To be really useful my monopod should support an upright stand, to be used to shoot concerts above part of the audience's heads. <br>

I can not imagine how your product might work as a tripod. - Are you designing it below the average press camera Nikion D4 / EOS 1 with 80-200 f2.8? Or is it only good to hold a tiny point and shoot while there is no wind at all?</p>

<p>Hi guys,<br>

Thank you for your feedback, it's all helpful!<br>

Stephen: Agreed it is a tall order, but my work as a designer is to create a product where there are no compromises. It is difficult to convey the design or even the idea to people when that thing does not yet exist, particularly based on a description from another person. I chose to go forward with this design in particular because it is difficult.<br>

Matthew: I'm sorry the survey was too vague. As I said to Stephen, it's hard to convey the idea when it's all so detailed in your head but you can't find the words. Thanks for your feedback!<br>

Jochen: Great comment about the height, noted! At this stage I don't have detailed specifications as I am first trying to garner impressions of potential users. Obviously due to the inherent design, the size and weight of the cameras will be limited i.e. a setup weighing 10/15kg will be unstable on the tripod setting and this will have to be accounted for. At this stage in the design process however I am simply conducting research and I will have specification further down the line.</p>

<p>Not sure that there is a market for this. A monopod already doubles as a walking stick and there are many on the market to choose from. For a tripod to have three legs collapse into a diameter as small as a monopod it would simply be too flimsy to be of use. And most photographers who are serious enough to use a tripod are serious enough to want one that is extremely stable, not one that makes compromises. <br /><br />The way to make a monopod/walking stick that has some of the stability of a tripod without the bulk is to put short "feet" at the bottom, like a light stand. But there are already monopods that do that.<br /><br />BTW, I did the survey, then bailed out when it wanted an email address. I'm not privacy crazy and I assume the university does this to confirm that you got real people to do the survey, but I think you'll find a fair number of people who will do the same. An anonymous survey will get more results even if it is not as valid for research purposes.</p>

<p>James, have you searched our forums here for input? The question has been posed a number of times, including by myself, for information regarding the best monopod/walking stick. <br>

My wish list is as follows: <br>

I am only interested in the 'best' quality trekking pole that doubles as the 'best' quality monopod. It must be at least 5'9'' extended, able to absorb the roughest terrain and weather under heavy use of at least a 180lb user. It must be light enough to not be an encumberance. It must utilize different tips for different seasons and surfaces (ice, snow, mud, wedding hall). It must fold down to not more than 18", so about 4 sections and include a holster and lanyard for a caribiner. A spring-loaded telescopic design that can be released with one hand would be magic. It would be capable of supporting the equivalent of a Nikon D800, 70-200mm lens and SB 900 flash. A clever design would incorporate a concealed ball-head and quick release plate and be a very muted black or green colour, but not camo.<br>

For this I would pay the equivalent of whatever a current carbon fibre tripod of comparable quality costs from Manfrotto or Gitzo.<br>

Ideally, you will have this ready for me by spring :)<br>

I hope this is useful. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>The product I am designing is a combination of a trekking pole, for hiking/hillwalking/skiing/any activity involving walking poles, with that of a camera tripod.<br>

A monopod already doubles as a walking stick </p>

</blockquote>

<p>Craig, trekking and walking are two different activities.<br>

Barry, that product looks to be a good travel tripod but nowhere does it mention trekking/hiking.</p>

<blockquote>

</blockquote>

<p>I glanced over the survey but skipped it because it's all marketing feelers and no design. Unfortunately that's the problem with the existing batch of mediocre wannabe-walking/hiking/monopods. They all seem like the product of a thought process that begins with "What can we sell in this niche based on existing tech?" rather than "I have an idea for a great design in this niche."</p>

<p>I actually do have an idea for a niche monopod for walkers who need a competent photo/video monopod, and not merely a rehash of the same old designs (it might not satisfy demanding trekkers). I know it would work for my needs and might work for other folks with similar mobility challenges. But I have no shop for manufacturing and interest in marketing.</p>

<p>"<em>I glanced over the survey but skipped it because it's all marketing feelers and no design"</em></p>

<p>That's more or less my problem with this plan. I am not convinced that the device in question could be made in a way that would be useful. If someone asked me if I'd buy a car that gets 90 miles to the gallon, parks itself and serves coffee, I would not fill out that questionnaire either even though I wish it were possible.</p>

<p>My 2 cents ...</p>

<p>There are a variety of walking sticks and modified ski poles already produced that more or less serve their intended purpose. The stick I use is sold by REI had has a cork head that can be unscrewed to reveal a 1/4" screw.</p>

<p>Problems with the stick as sold: 1. the snow basket comes off too easily and disappeared during the first hike. I haven't missed it, but a design that can lock the basket in place, and unlock for removal, would be a nice improvement. 2. The tip is a spike. A removable soft tip (with a lock to keep it in place) would be most welcome. 3. The stick used as a monopod is too short.</p>

<p>A monopod needs a head. The perfect walking stick would have a bayonet twist-off top, and a monopod head that snaps on quickly for a quick transition from walking aid to monopod. The monopod head could have an extension tube so the basic walking stick does not have unnecessary length.</p>

<p>Finally, there should be an accessory head that can accept three sticks to form a tripod (hiking in a group).</p>

<p>The combo walking stick/monopod would never replace a decent carbon fiber tripod or monopod. Digital camera high ISO performance and VR are eliminating the need for camera support for most of the day. I find that I rarely use my walking stick as a monopod these days so my desire for an improvement over my current stick is deminished. You have a challenge to design a great walking stick that converts to a functional monopod that sells for a competitive price.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I think John offers some valuable insight here. A walking stick height doesn't need to reach eye height (taking into account mounts, camera size, head, etc.) I have an aluminum walking stick (Trek Sherlock) that, like many, has a threaded stud to screw on a camera or tripod/monopod head. I happen to have a Bogen pistol grip head which pretty much fits the height differences in use but is awkwardly heavy. However, many find this type of grip head useful on a monopod type device when compared to a typical ball head.</p>

<p>Others use a head that tips to one side to move between portrait and landscape and these can be sturdy and less heavy or complex than full on photo capable tripod type heads. Hence the idea of quickly removable heads - height and balance issues.</p>

<p>The Trek also has a smallish cup shaped "basket" (that doesn't come off too easily) and the tip is covered by a screw on rubber foot. A true basket has some problems in non-snow conditions in that it's easily snagged. Sharp metal points are good under icy conditions but problematic under other use conditions like polished floors. They also can turn the pole into a "spear" and the presence of that sort of tip could cause problems in transport or other secured environments - or be an asset when a spear would be needed.</p>

<p>Unlike many monopods which have telescoping and collet tightened sections, the Sherlock has just two sections adjustable by spring button. So it's possibly stronger but can't be collapsed as easily (good and bad depending on if you want it to collapse or support weight) and carried in luggage. Others are collapsible into lengths that can be easily packed. I would suggest considering dealing with weights over 300 lbs. A 200 pound individual might be walking with a pack of 50 or more pounds depending on season, needed gear, etc., and a stumble throwing all that weight onto a walking stick that deals with friction fit sections? </p>

<p>There are some tripods which can be disassembled and a leg used as the basis for a monopod - that leaves one with two legs to carry or store. I have a lightweight tripod which can be used as a monopod, sort of, by keeping the legs together or extending only one. That allows for the serious stability of a tripod but it's not all that useful as a walking stick.</p>

<p>There are some monopods which have extendable or hideable short leg sections in the base. They add some stability but the leverage of the weight a of a camera at the other end is such that they really can't be left unattended safely. Collapsed to chair length they can offer some needed relief when used at an event that might need holding a camera for use at seat height for long periods. Note that these sorts of extended legs could be extremely dangerous in a sporting event coverage situation (like American football) where a sideline photographer might be run into or the pole dropped. The legs are then poised with at least one rigid, sharp spike pointing essentially straight upwards. Ouch.</p>