D7100 Compatibility with Lenses?

kathy_h

<p>Hello all.<br /><br />I currently use a D90 which I love. I have recently been considering a purchase of a D7100 to use in conjunction with the D90. The prime reason for the move to the D7100 is higher pixel count (for larger enlargements). Other pluses are the better/faster autofocus and weather sealing. I'd rather use two lower-cost bodies at once (with multiple lenses ready to go) than one higher-end body (fx).<br>

Having stated the reasons for wanting the D7100, I wasn't in a huge rush to acquire one until my D90 now has to be sent to the cleaners and I will be without a camera for a while (I have no idea how long). So now, I'm thinking I'll get the D7100 sooner rather than later.<br>

I have been reading reviews on the D7100 and am concerned about reviews stating the camera needs to be used with high-end primes to get the most out of the camera. I have been searching this site for clarification on exactly what is meant by this and high-end lenses.<br>

I currently use: <br>

16-85mm f3.5-5.6 G ED VR;<br>

AFS 60mm f2.8 G ED macro;<br>

70-300mm 4.5-5.6 G IF ED; and <br>

AFS 50mm 1.8G (non-special ed.)<br>

All of these lenses and my D90 have served me well. I'm extremely happy with the image quality and the ease of use of the D90. I do not shoot for reasons that would warrant purchasing really expensive lenses. I may add to this collection, but do not want to replace any of them.<br /><br />If I purchased the D7100 to use with any of these lenses, would I be disappointed in the image output of the D7100?<br>

(I have not considered the D5500 because I do not want the variable angle LCD.)<br>

Thank you.</p>

I agree with Owen. If you really are interested in getting the highest image quality possible use a tripod, keep your ISO

between 100 and and 650, focus using live view, and stop down 1 to 3 stops from wide open whenever possible. These

points hold true for all lenses and camera bodies.

But keep in mind that a great emotionally evocative, well composed and framed, and timed photo beats the pants off of an emotionally dead photo shot with perfect shooting technique, and that's also true every day of the week.

So my advice is: get the D7100, and shoot more and worry less about some punter on the Internet says.

<p>The focus that is put on high megapixels bodies requiring the best lenses is, in my view, rather overhyped on the internet. Yes, if looking at 100% enlargements of your images, 24MP images will reveal flaws in your lenses sooner than 12MP will. It will also reveal vibrations in your tripod and flaws in your technique sooner (and frankly, for most of us the latter is more of concern than the qualities of our lenses). However, when comparing two images shot under identical conditions with an identical lens in an identical sized print, the image of the high(er) megapixel body will look identical, or better. It will <em>not</em> look worse; the D7100 doesn't make your lenses worse, it is just more capable of showing the limitations they have. So, don't worry about it too much - if you're happy with these lenses today for larg(ish) prints, they will continue to serve just fine.<br>

And you've got a fine set of lenses, so really there is little to worry about. Just to be sure: the 70-300 lens is the VR version? There is a 70-300G without VR and f/4 at the short end instead of f/4.5, and that lens isn't particularly great. But again, if it works for you today, they'll work as well or better when you got the D7100.</p>

<p>I second what all the gentlemen above have pointed out (except for Ellis' recommendation about iso!). I started with a D70, then D80 and now a D7100. I love the 24 mp because I can make larger prints, and even when I don't, I can reduce the size and get even sharper prints. I use all kinds of lenses, from old primes to my two trusty kit lenses, the 18-70 and 18-105vr. True, if you pixel peep you might see the true optical quality of a lens better, but your prints will be as good or better than when using your D90. If your lenses have performed well on your present camera, they will be fine on a D7100, as others have assured you. </p>

<p>Oh, I just saw the comments from Steve. Thanks for that! <br>

All of this information is just the kind of confirmation that I was searching for. I'm not a pixel peeper, but after reading some reviews, I had become worried that the D7100 was for more professional grade shooting and only suitable to be used with very expense prime lenses. I'm glad to hear otherwise. Its always more comfortable to make an informed decision.<br>

Thank you!</p>

<p>I think the 70-300mm/f4.5-5.6 G will be a bit soft on its long (300mm) end on the D7100. The other three lenses will match any 24MP DX body just fine. But all 24MP APS-C body will be just as demanding on lenses as the D7100.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that back in 2010, Nikon essentially merged the D90 (originally $1000) and D300S ($1800) into just one model, namely the D7000 ($1200), that is between the two. The D7100 is the successor to the D7000 and kept its original price at $1200.</p>

<p>Depending on your 'targets', I'd think about getting something wider and faster for the D7100. Your 16-85mm has a good zoom range but is rather slow, aperture wise. My copy is a bit soft everywhere, I'm liking it less and less on my D5300 body. I suspect it may have had a knock. </p>

<p>If you've got the money, the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 is a very high quality lens. It's only down side is it has a fairly limited x2 zoom range. It's sharp from wide open at all focal lengths and many users have referred to it as a bunch of primes in one lens. It's simply that good.</p>

<p>Thank you Mike. I appreciate your input. Although good to hear, that is disappointing, as I have always been fond of that lens and, by my standards, it is pricy. I do agree it is slow, but it has always produced nice sharp images, and I have been very happy to have it. In regard to the slowness, I didn't/don't know if it is the lens or the D90. I always thought it was the camera. Maybe its both.</p>

<p>This may sound crazy to those that are interested in the newest models, releases, etc. but would I be thinking backwards if I considered getting a D7000 instead of the D7100? Would I notice the difference in image quality with my lenses and the D7000 16.2 M pixels as opposed the 24M?<br />Local suppliers do not have the D7000 stocked any longer, but I just noticed that it is still available on the Nikon website. <br>

Thank you.</p>

<p>The biggest difference between the D7000 and D7100 is that the D7100 has Nikon's top-of-the-line AF module, while the D7000 has the second-tier one. Both of which should be superior to the D90's.</p>

<p>Can you still find new D7000 bodies? Some people bought them a month or two ago in the US.</p>

<p>The advantages you list that the D7100 has over the D90 also holds true for the D7000. I dare say that the largest step is from the D90 to the D7000 rather than fron the D7000 to the D7100.</p>

<p>If you can get a new D7000 for a bargain price, it may well be your best buy. Perhaps the lower price would allow for a flash to fit your budget- if you need one?</p>

<p>It is true that the D7100 has even better AF, better movie capabilities and even better low light capability than the D7000, but either would be a welcome upgrade from your D90 in all aspects. Both would make the AF on your 16-86 appear less sluggish, both would allow you to raise the ISO slightly when you use the long end on your 70-300VR and both would improve your movies.</p>

<p>You have not mentioned what you usually shoot, but since you are happy with your lenses, I presume Indoor sports or birds are not your main interest. If I am correct, I would say you could let price decide which to get.</p>

<p>Kathy,</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Although good to hear, that is disappointing, as I have always been fond of that lens and, by my standards, it is pricy. I do agree it is slow, but it has always produced nice sharp images, and I have been very happy to have it. In regard to the slowness...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Note that the slowness intended is the lens' aperture: f/5.6 at the long end forces you quickly to either slow shutterspeeds or high(er) ISOs compared to 'fast' lenses (f/2.8 and lower). While AF speed is somewhat related, it's not the main reason to call this lens slow. For sure, as Andreas said, on either D7000 or D7100, the 16-85VR will AF a tad quicker as these bodies have better AF than the D90.<br>

My experience with the 16-85VR reflects yours: mine was and is pinsharp, even at its widest apertures and even after taking a very serious knock; there was nothing disappointing about it apart from being a bit pricey. If you are happy with the lens, there is literally no reason at all to replace it, no matter what any of us thinks about it. It's hard for somebody else to tell you what lens is best for you without knowing you, your way of working and your photos (and preferences) well, and understand which problem you try to fix. For example, as interesting as that Sigma lens might be (and it is), 18-35 is a very limited range and for me personally, the story would end there right away. Just not practical for my uses. Others have other priorities, and so on. I'd see first at this point how you like your lenses on the new body you'll get, and then see if there is a problem to fix, or not (in general though: the 16-85 isn't <em>very</em> expensive - good lenses cost serious money, but they last a lot longer than bodies and retain value. So between spending $1000 on a D7100 or $1000 on a lens, the lens makes the better "investment" in the long run and usually good lenses make more impact on image quality than a minor sensor update).</p>

<p>If the D7000 is a lot cheaper, and you do not do a lot of sports/fast wildlife, I'd most certainly consider it. As Shun said, the AF is the main difference; image quality for all intents and purposes will be identical.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>(I have not considered the D5500 because I do not want the variable angle LCD.)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You don't have to use it...;-)</p>

<p>I find mine on the D5300 very handy when turned glass-side 'in' as a very effective form of protection against evil things in my camera bag. Low angle hand-held macro is much easier too, looking up into flower heads or the gills of fungi. The occasional overhead shot or a tricky architectural detail are doable when you can actually see <em>where</em> you're pointing it.</p>

<p>I suppose it does add a little to the bulk of the camera.</p>

<p>Although it adds to the battery drain, I do like the option of GPS Tagging* on the D5300 and WiFi Tethering*. I don't know why** GPS disappeared from the D5500 or indeed where the D5<strong>4</strong>00 ever went??</p>

<p>If video is in your future DSLR usage, the Full HD <strong>6</strong>0fps of the D5300 or D5500 may be important over the usual 30fps of the D7100.</p>

<p>*All done<em> internally</em> without anything on my hot-shoe or cables or WiFi adapters in my USB ports etc.</p>

<p>** I suspect it's going to re-appear in the D7<strong>2</strong>00 to add to the hierarchy differentiation of the <em>new</em> Flagship DX.</p>

<p>just to reiterate what others have said, i think your current lenses will be fine, even the 70-300 VR which is a full-frame lens so you're only using the center on DX anyway. i would definitely get the d7100 over the d7000, mainly for the better AF and ability to crop. i think the sigma 18-35/1.8 is pretty intriguing for a DX user, particularly in low-light situations, so i wouldn't rule that out as a future lens possibility.</p>

<p>Once again, thank you all very much. You have all been very helpful in regard to my question, and then some. <br>

In regard to the Sigma 18-35, I will seriously consider that as a future purchase. Although I will wait until I am familiar with my current lenses on the new body. <br>

I will likely get the D7100.<br>

Cheers.</p>