Famous old camera and their users

john_bear

<p>My 1995 Sotheby's catalog of the sale of the estate of Man Ray includes the following cameras:<br>

Thornton-Pickard folding field camera<br>

Zeiss-Ikon Contaflex SLR - the photo looks like the Contaflex IV<br>

Zeiss-Ikon Ikoflex III TLR<br>

Voigtlander Avus 9x12<br>

Unidentified half-plate tailboard camera<br>

Ron Gratz</p>

<p>Thanks for an interesting post, John! My contribution would be aviatrix Amelia Earhart, who was a very capable photographer. She favoured the Kodak Duo 620 because of its small size when folded up. I've attached a photo of her using it on arrival in Venezuela, on the start of her ultimately tragic attempt to circumnavigate the world in 1937. (Pete In Perth)</p><div>00d8Sr-555045784.jpg.4a41ab5f774129b865e79375e4e3f026.jpg</div>

Note from moderator. I would remind everyone of what is in the Terms of Use/Community Guidelines:<P>

<B>"You agree to upload and post only User Content that you have created yourself."<BR>

"Any image you post should be your own work. If you want to reference an image shot by someone else, please link to it rather than post the image itself. "</B><P>

That is simple and clear. It doesn't matter if it is public domain, expired copyright, or "if it is on the internet it is free". If you didn't create the photo yourself, don't post it directly. I have been somewhat lax in enforcing this rule but this thread is going a bit too far in rule violations.

James G. Dainis

<p>James Dainis, I'm saying that if it doesn't appear obvious that copyright violations have occurred, give it the benefit of the doubt and save yourself the grief. For example, in the instances above (Amelia and Erwin), they would have appeared to be used within the guidelines of "critical comment" which can be applied to images as well as text quotations.<br>

You've got a hard-enough job; just try to be sure and do what is best for the readers.<br>

And, thank you for your work and dedication to the forum.<br>

Bill</p>

I can find posters for sale of the photo of James Dean with the camera. It may or may not still be under copyright protection. I would think that it would be. Photo.net has taken a stand that they don't want to decide or do research to find out if a posted photo is free of copyright or to decide if it doesn't appear that copyright violations have occurred or if it is "critical comment" or "fair use" or anything else.

A while back I saw a copy of a complaint from a photographer who was upset that one of his photos was posted without his permission on Photo.net. It had first been posted on Facebook without his permission and then copied from there and posted on Photo.net again without his permission. He was mostly upset that a website for photographers would have so little regard for copyright. He was assured that Photo.net feels strongly about copyright and hence the guidelines not to post a photo that was not taken by the poster himself. It is so simple to comply:

"You agree to upload and post only User Content that you have created yourself."

"Any image you post should be your own work. If you want to reference an image shot by someone else, please link to it rather than post the image itself. "

James G. Dainis

Would be better if there were no photos that have to be deleted.<br>I too am frequently amazed at how casual photographers flaunt the copyright of other photographers. Piracy appears to be regarded as a good thing nowadays, lost the negative connotation if still very, very much deserves.<br><br>The worst case i encountered myself was a website devoted to no other topic than copyright infringement and how bad a thing that is, the owner going off in a stream of (justified) rants about the lowlifes that pilfer, steal and rob, posting one of my images on his site without even asking. Not only did he infringe my copyright, but he also stole the bandwidth i pay for by setting the source in the image tag to the original location of the image.<br>That made it easy to get back to him. I replaced the image with one explaining that this holier-than-holiest thieving so-and-so stole my image. He then managed to find where to contact me in a hurry, expressing his (!) anger. How dare i show him up like that... Idiots abound on the WWW.<br><br>Long rant, but please do respect people's rights.<br>And not knowing whether something is free to use, or not knowing how to contact the copyright owner to ask = it is not allowed to use that image. So just don't.

<p>Photo.net admin and mods have been through this copyright issue over and over and over. Not long ago we even chatted about whether to ease up on some usages. And then the recent situation James described above occurred. Every time we consider exceptions, something pops up to remind us the longtime policy is still the best.</p>

<p>So it always boils down to the same thing: The longtime photo.net policy is the simplest and most foolproof you'll find anywhere online. Saves us all a lot of grief. Nobody needs to interpret copyrights, fair usage, creative commons or the vagaries of international law. And we can set the bar high for respecting copyrights, which is an increasingly rare thing online.</p>

<p>So...</p>

<ol>

<li>Post only photos and/or images/documents you have made.<br /><br /></li>

<li>Post links to everything else. Not embedded - this puts a burden on the bandwidth of the hosting site. Fine for sites like photobucket, but an unfair burden on an individual photographer's personal blog. So, just post links. Anyone interested can easily follow the link.<br /><br />There are a gazillion sites for this. I use photobucket and imgur for stuff I want to share but didn't take/make myself, such as scans from old books and magazines.</li>

</ol>

<p>Easy.</p>