70-200 VR 1 issue @ 200mm?

arjen_schippers

I have the D7100 in combination with a 70-200 VR 1.

Lately it seems to behave strangely at 200.

The linked photo is an extreme example 200 + TC 2.0.

https://picasaweb.google.com/103522265711672088137/KiteSurfersHargenAanZee28Feb2014?

noredirect=1#slideshow/6120987368067799538

The lens seems fine at the shorter focal lengths and can be razor sharp as well.

I need some help trouble shooting since I cannot determine if it is an issue of the VR or the focus at infinity.

When I test the lens at home, it behaves. When out in the field, it sometimes shows this

The G+ album with the kite surfer is all soft.

Any thoughts

Tnx

Arjen

<p>@ rodeo joe: here is the link with another example: https://plus.google.com/u/1/photos/103522265711672088137/albums/6129904832032510017<br /> I keep getting an error message if I link via the Insert Image button :-(<br /> I put a full rez and a crop incl the exif data as well as a sharp example.<br /> @ matthew currie:<br /> During a shoot, I keep the VR on with a shutter around 1/800. The actual shutter speed will vary due I use the f stops to control my shots ( A mode), in AF-C and VR on normal.</p>

<p>Off topic: why can't I add a link??<br>

I keep getting this error message:</p>

<h2>Problem with Your Input</h2>

<p>We had a problem processing your entry:</p>

<ul>

<li>Ha Ha</li>

</ul>

<p>Please back up using your browser, correct it, and resubmit your entry.</p>

<p>The cyclists shot is front-focused. You can see that the gulls and waves on the sea in the background are sharper. Plus there's some atmospheric haze (or lens misting). Don't underestimate the amount of fuzziness that can be added by atmospheric conditions. Hot weather brings heat haze, and high humidity brings mist and low contrast. The same goes for air pollution. Get more than 20 or so metres from the subject with a long lens and critical sharpness is a crap-shoot.</p>

<p>The footballer is still not a tight enough crop to really see whether it's truly sharp, but if it was shot at a wide aperture with the 2x TC, then it doesn't look too bad for that setup.</p>

<p>the cyclysts are blurred because they moved.<br /> that is motion blur.</p>

<p>look at the ghosting.<br /> best you see it looking at the helmet of the white fella.</p>

<p>joe is right.<br /> you cannot shoot some place distant, crop in and expect wonderful detail and sharpnes.<br /> it does not work like this :)</p>

<p>If you must use a 2X TC on a 70-200mm lens, it helps to stop the lens down by a stop. The problem is that you are stopping down an f2.8 to f4, and then the 2X TC robs you two stops. All of a sudden you have a very slow 400mm/f8 lens that is very difficult to use. You'll need somewhat high ISO even under daylight.</p>