Nikon Pricing

jenniferk

Back over the holidays we bought a new D7000 as a gift for our daughter. Price was amazing and dropped to under $500 and we

scooped it up! Was also looking at getting a D7100 but put it off. Now however he price continues to climb for the 7100. I expected with

this being a bit dated model that the price would stay low to clear out stock for the new models.

Do you thnk the 7100 is gong to hold steady for now?

I was always surprisd with the D300 how expensive it was to buy new, even after it became such an out dated model. With February

coming does anyone have a clear idea of what to expect price wise?

<p>I think may be they sold most of them over the holidays so now it's better to raise the price so that when the replacement is introduced it doesn't look too expensive. Also they just introduced the D5500, selling the D7100 for too low could lose sales on the D5500.</p>

<p>Glad to hear you bought a D7000 at that low price. It is still an excellent camera. I think that was one of the best bargains I have seen in recent years. The D7200 is rumored to be announced next month. I expect that the price of the D7100 will slowly drop as did the price of the D7000 so don't expect any significant immediate drop in it price.</p>

<p>Now that even the D7100 is almost two years old, I am a bit surprised that there are still some remaining new D7000 on the market. I recall that there were some very deep discounts on the D7000 in December 2013, so I thought Nikon had dumped them all over a year ago.</p>

<p>I believe Nikon discounted the D7100 to $900 last month (December 2014), and it is now back up to $1000. If you are willing to wait and in case there is still inventory available (which is very questionable), maybe in another year or two the D7100 will be at fire sale prices, similar to the D7000 recently. Most likely the successor to the D7100 will be introduced in the coming months, and if Nikon manages inventory carefully, all D7100 should be sold out within several months to a year after that. If you wait, you are taking the risk that you might not be able to get a new one, but used should be an option.</p>

<p>After a new model is available for 6 months or so, all sorts of refurbished and used ones will appear on the market. Gradually Nikon will have to discount news ones in order to compete against used ones in good condition. That is why Nikon needs to refresh the model after a year or two, even though the improvements are sometimes very incremental.</p>

<p>BTW, Nikon's fiscal year ends in March. In the last couple of years, there were rebates around February and March to boost sales before the end of March. Whether there will be rebates this year and if so, exactly what are included remains to be seen in another month or two.</p>

<p>I jumped on a D7000 when Amazon's price was at $525. The price dropped to $484 before I received it so I asked about price guarantee and Amazon refunded the difference. </p>

<p>It was indeed difficult to resist going for the 24mp D7100 with its $300 price drop to $900, but I managed to keep to my vow to live in the past a bit and not deal with digital depreciation.</p>

<p>I bought a brand new D7000 kit w/ the 18-140mm Nikkor for $629 at Best Buy just before Christmas. After Christmas, it went back up to around $800 but I believe it might be on sale again. It's my second D7000 I've owned, the first one I sold for a Panasonic G6 and some lenses. I missed the 7000 too much though over the years. It's really a fantastic camera, producing awesome images.....I guess it hits the sweet spot for sensor size and megapixels.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>As expected, Nikon USA's annual lens-only rebates are here: <a href="/nikon-camera-forum/00d81Y">Nikon USA Lens Rebate thru End of February 2015</a></p>

<p>BTW, I am not sure the Coolpix A has been a success for Nikon. I know it has been on fire sale, but I kind of doubt that Nikon will introduce a successor at all.</p>