5D downloads to new iMac

ray .

I purchased a new iMac 5 months ago, and posted awhile back that my Canon 5D Mk i would not download files directly

to the computer. http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00chk3

It was suggested to me there that I might need to download files with a card reader, so I did that, and all was well for about a dozen downloads.

Now on the most recent attempt to insert the card, some pins have bent in the reader so it's no longer useable. I don't

know if the 6 or 7 year old CF card is the culprit, but on the edge the plastic between a couple holes appears to have

partially collapsed.

After previously downloading the latest version of DPP for the 5D, I could use the RAW software, but couldn't download directly

from the camera. I believe I checked for updates of EOS utility as well.

Would this situation be settled with the Canon software that's included with the Mark ii or Mark iii in conjunction with those cameras? That said, I'd hate to buy either camera as a replacement and have the same type of obsolescence problem crop up again in a few years.

I'm a bit frustrated at the moment, and not enthusiastic about just buying a new card reader and using a different

card. I recall reading opinions that problems with pins in card readers are a non-issue. That was indeed the

case for me up until this problem. I do miss being able to plug directly to the camera for downloads, one of the nice things that worked with the Canon system.

Thanks in advance for any input...

<p>CF Cards have a limited life. To use the same CF card for 7 Years! I cant believe anyone would do that given the price capacity and risk of failure of CF Cards.<br /> It is unwise to have only one CF Card anyway.<br /> Card readers are cheap and often a lot faster than Downloading direct from camera.<br>

Throw your old one away and get some new ones (when you have extracted the images of course)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>CF Cards have a limited life. To use the same CF card for 7 Years! </p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

Do you have some statistics on this? The flash memory inside the cards are spec'd based on write cycles. Maybe you can give a source for lifetime measured in years.<br>

<br>

I have an original IBM microdrive that worked fine when I tossed it recently. It was about 15 years old and has rotating media. </p>

<p>Jeff; my microdrive lasted less than 2 years Cost $300 for 1 Gb in 2003. with the 32GB CF and SD cards available now for a fraction of the cost It not worth the risk of using an old and slightly damaged card as Ray had.<br />I have had a few CF card failures notably Sandisk Extreme. Perhaps I have been unlucky; but I have numerous CF and SD Cards which I use and replace after a couple of years. with the larger cards they can still be used for non critical use.</p>

<p>I have 8yr old CF media that is still perfectly functional (aside from the fact that it only holds less than 10 raws ;) - and is ridiculously slow ), I also have 1yr old CF media that is non-functional (granted a 1yr child chewed it up first). It is patently absurd that CF cards have a lifespan in <em>years</em> (at least in years that we are approaching). Now of course they have a read/write lifespan, as well as an 'insertion/removal cycle' lifespan (every connector and chip has that), but if you shoot enough to approach that, then you've already shot your way through 3 or 4 cameras, pulling it out and putting it in every day.</p>

<p>I have only had one CF card failure, and it had nothing to do with age, or physical damage - it was defective out of the box, which I only discovered because I always completely fill and empty my cards before being put into service. I often wonder how many people do that. They are notoriously reliable - given genuine cards from reputable brands, with failure rates well below the likliehood of being struck by lightning. </p>

<p>Frankly, for $20-40, today you can get a CF card that is an order of magnitude larger than what was available in '06, and faster to boot. The 5D can only address up to a 32gb card (or only format a 32gb anyway). </p>

<p>If you have any physical damage to your card, you should immediately replace it. If you have any physical damage to your card reader, you should immediately replace it. Neither (in this context) is going to cost you nearly as much as if you loose a pile of images from failing to do so. </p>

<p>I change old CF cards because they get too small, sort of like my shirts used to do, so I've never had the problem of them "wearing out."<br /> However, the one bad thing about CF is that it is easy to bend the pins if you try to insert them into the reader without being very careful. The cameras seem to have guide channels that prevent this from happening, as do some (but by no means most) card readers.<br /> Get a new reader, the USB3 ones are very fast if your computer is up to it.</p>

<p>As for the other, many of us seem to be extraordinarily grumpy lately. I know I am. SAD, I guess.</p>

<p>I've never worn out a CF card. They just get too small for my new camera and get tossed in a drawer.</p>

<p>Canon stopped supporting the 5D in Camera Window and EOS Utility several years back. However, the RAW files are fully supported in DPP and most other raw editors. So no auto download or changing user data in Utility.</p>

<p>I prefer to drag 'n drop my files so I know where they went and the OP can continue to do that. If you use the photo app that came with your iMac--Aperture or iPhoto--it will auto upload from the card if you don't like drag 'n dropping yourself.</p>

<p>As others have indicated, you need to buy a really good card reader with tight guides and a deep door that "shallows" at least 50% of the card. The deeper the more secure the fit and less chance of bent pins. The Lexar CFR1 is one such reader (I own one):</p>

<p>http://www.amazon.com/Lexar-Professional-Workflow-CompactFlash-LRWCFR1RBNA/dp/B00EJ8CKPC/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1416770672&sr=1-3&keywords=lexar+card+<br /> As well as the PixelFlash USB 3.0 No-Bend Pins CF Card Reader:<br /> http://www.amazon.com/PixelFlash-No-Bend-SuperSpeed-Compact-PFUSB3CFRD/dp/B005IMFX2K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416770815&sr=8-1&keywords=no+bent+pins+card+reader</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Hi!

My oldest CF card by Sandisk is ten years old and I have no problem with it. Only one Emtec CF card was damaged out of the box but changed on warranty. You`d rather forget about your small size CF card than it brake down. If you care about cards and carry them in box you won`t have problem with dust in pinholes and card will work for long time.

All the best

<p>Concerning bent pins and taking care to always<br /> orient the card properly into the reader ... I've<br /> marked all my readers clearly indicating which<br /> side of the slot is for the wider groove of the<br /> card and which side is for the narrow groove.<br>

Never found need of marking the card itself as<br>

it's easy enuf to see which groove is wider. </p>

<p>I mark stuff with nail polish, but I spoze you<br /> can use a felt marker, paint marker, etc. I've<br /> never found need to mark the card slot in the<br /> camera. Even if I'm not paying close attention<br /> the slot in the camera apparently is precise<br /> enuf to distinctly refuse to allow a card thaz<br /> attempted to insert backwards.</p>

I have a USB 3.0 Lexar card reader that I removed from its flip up cradle and then blu tacked to the back of my iMac

adjacent to the in-build SD slot. Keeps it off the desk and is alway plugged and ready to go. My Mac is too old for USB

3.0 but the reader still flies just fine. Good guide slots too. Just tried a CF carb with a massive 256MB in it. Worked

instantly despite its 12 year age.