Polaroid Macro LED Flash Ring not working with my camera

ccommins

I just purchased a Polaroid Macro LED Ring flash, I choose it because of the price. I have tried to get it to work with my Nikon D300s and

my D80, it works with every setting but does not flash. I thought someone might have one and could help me. I have a Nikon Speedllight

SB600 and it works fine. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

<p>Without more info it's impossible to say. Not quite sure what you mean by it "works at every setting but does not flash". It it doesn't flash, how else does it work?</p>

<p>I have a similar system for Canon (Meike FC-100) and it works just fine. Your's could be faulty, or have a faulty connector or you could just not have it setup right. Impossible to say which.</p>

<p>BTW these things don't actually "flash", they just turn the LEDs on and off. You can't freeze action with them, they just provide illumination while the shutter is open.</p>

<p>Note that despite the "Polaroid" name, the flash is likely a rebranded generic Chinese made unit (mine is too). Polaroid once stood for something, but the name was sold and is applied now to all sorts of cheaply made plastic consumer items. Today's "Polaroid" items have no connection with the old "Polaroid" company that made quality products.</p>

BOB, the settings are light is on all the time with dimmer button, light just on the left side or just on the right. Then there is the flash button.

Which does nothing. I thought maybe it wasn't making connection. I didn't want to spend ,a lot because I didn't know if I would like it.

<p>Sound just like mine (except mine will "flash"). In fact looking at the pictures the Polaroid flash in fact <em><strong>IS</strong></em> identical to my Meike flash, it just has "Polaroid" written on it.</p>

<p>Not sure how technical you are but if you set it in flash mode and short out the pin on the hotshoe foot that controls flash to the metal foot, the LEDs should briefly light up. Works on my Canon version. The pin would be the one in the center of the foot. This eBay listing (not mine) shows the center contact. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Meike-LED-Macro-Ring-Flash-FC100-For-Nikon-Camera-DSLR-/350479117046?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519a2eeaf6</p>

<p>If the flash flashes when you make that connection then it's working fine.</p>

<p>It should also flash when set to the flash mode and you press the "pilot" button, but that doesn't test the hoteshoe contact.</p>

<p> </p>

Bob, I tried your suggestion and the flash worked. So now looking at it, the light finally went on (LITERALLY). I had it

attached to the camera backwards. Once I had it working, I thought what a dope, after working with cameras all these

years how could I be so stupid! But so it goes, thanks for the help. I can always depend on the PN family for help.