Favorite B&W magazines

larry n.

I dropped my subscription to B&W (US) because of the ads and the very poor reproduction quality. It always blew my mind that they are pushing 'fine art' photography and collecting, yet the reproductions look like the daily newspaper. I have seen some of the work of the artists that have been profiled, and it is a crime what they have done to these images. I would never judge someone's work from how it appeared in this magazine. Lenswork, on the other hand, now boasts probably the best reproduction quality of the bi-monthly magazines. It is very nice, and in an interesting twist, sometimes the reproductions seem better in quality than the actual photos you might see in a gallery! Aperture and Contact Sheet are both very high quality as well, but sometimes tend to have too much 'navel-gazing' art-school work that supposedly is trendy and 'relevant', but I find to be banal, ugly and sophomoric.

Clay

For technical information it is hard to beat Photo Techniques, though they are not strictly black and white and of late they have been including digital. Nonetheless, the best articles on black and white are often to be found there. Second would be View Camera--I'm often disappointed with issues, but they publish a gem now and then.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll also vote for the UK magazine 'Black and White Photography'. This is now the only photo mag I buy regularly.

<br><br>

It is image-led, and spends less time on equipment than most titles, and it's not crammed with adverts either. They can now boast a column by Michael Johnston, formerly of Photo Techniques. His recent comments on this magazine and others are <a href="http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-02-11-10.shtml">here</a>.