55-200mm lens will not disconnect

sachin_bajaj

<p>Good day! I have a Nikon D3200 camera that was recently purchased on Black Friday. It seems as though my 55-200 mm lens has got stuck and will not detach after pressing the release button on the camera body. It still clicks photos and I do not see any error messages on my screen. However, the lens being stuck is somewhat of an inconvenience and limits me from changing lenses if required.<br>

Is this something that can be fixed easily or do I need to send it to Nikon?</p>

<p>Are you saying you are pressing in the lens release button on the camera body and the lens won't rotate to the position that it needs to be in to remove it, or that it rotates to that position (where the white dot on the lens lines up with the white dot on the camera body) and the lens just won't come off the body?</p>

<p>If the lens won't rotate when you push the lens release button on the camera body, try rotating the lens slightly either direction without pushing the lens release button, then try pushing the button again. I've seen lenses get twisted slightly on a camera body where one edge of the slot in the lens where the body pin enters to hold the lens in place, if the lens is twisted, that edge of the slot can be pressing so hard on that release pin that the pin won't retract into the camera body.</p>

<p>Appreciate your response Tim!<br>

Yes, when I press the lens release button on the camera body, the lens won't rotate to the position that it needs to be in to remove it. The lens does not move clockwise or anti-clockwise with or without pressing the release button.<br>

Yes, LOL, I am clicking the button marked by the arrow to release it. It still is stuck :(</p>

<p>Thanks for confirming Steve. Let me try it once again and see if it works. I fear that a lot of pulling and tugging might eventually damage the lens or the body. As far as I could feel it, it felt like it was glued on to it!<br>

Fingers crossed. Will update if something works out.</p>

<p>I have in the past had difficulties with lenses that had lost the tiny screw in the mount that prevents them from over-rotating. The little white mounting dot on the lens should be exactly centered, under the "K" in Nikon, in line with the focal point button. If it is further to the left, I'd take it somewhere, because it's not easy to unjam if you can't open the back.</p>

<p>Does the mounting button depress all the way? If it does, perhaps the lens is jamming the pin, and wiggling and flexing it a bit might allow it to pop in. There is a very slight springiness in the mount that may allow you to pull it outward and loosen the stiction.</p>

<p>Edit to add: I just looked a little closer at my D3200. If I grab the pin with forceps, I cannot push the button down all the way. I'm pretty sure that if the button goes down all the way (which is nearly flush with the casting) it must be pulling the pin down. There is a little lost motion, but the button must be nearly all the way down before the pin is fully retracted. </p>

<p>@Tim: The lens and body were separate and I have been attaching with 2 of my lenses for a few months. They were detaching until this weekend.<br>

@Matt: The white mounting dot on the lens is under the K as you mentioned. Also, the release button seems to be going all the way in. I tried and wiggled it a lot, finally the lens is OUT!!!<br>

THANK YOU!!!! Tim, Steve & Matt!<br>

I think that the release button spring is stuck. When I press the release button, the pin does not move into the frame. Hope this is covered under warranty by Nikon.</p><div>00d8FD-554989584.jpg.a9955eaacba50cfc7f4f97f9ebe65475.jpg</div>

<ul>

<li>Glad you disengaged the lens. Sometime ago, I bought an older Nikon with a lens stuck on the camera. I finally freed the lens and found that the tiny lock had corrosion allowing the release button to not move it smoothly and not all the way flush. I buffed t h e corrosion away, applied a tiny bit of lube with cotton bud, no more problems.</li>

</ul>

<p>It must be very stuck indeed or actually broken.</p>

<p>I don't have the breakdown of parts for this one but on the F3 and F, the pin has a little groove in the back, which is pulled back by a pivoting claw. That explains why there is some lost motion in the initial button push but also why when it's working right you cannot push the button down without the pin going down too. I'm guessing that the mechanism is bent or broken.</p>

<p>Anyway, I'm glad the lens came off, but I would not put another on until it's fixed.</p>

<p>I had a JPG of the part on an F3 but get a server error. Will try again later.</p>

<p>@Paul: I'm happy that the lens came out! Surprised though, as this is a new D3200 I bought in December, it should not have these issues.<br>

@Matt: I'll be sure that I do not put another lens on it, which means that I have to go back to my Coolpix till this is fixed. I'll be shipping it out to Nikon and hope (fingers crossed) that it is covered under warranty. It should not be giving a problem especially if it is just 2 months old. <br>

Will keep you guys posted once it gets fixed. Thank you once again for assisting with the removal of the lens! I'm glad I came across this forum!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Surprised though, as this is a new D3200 I bought in December, it should not have these issues.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>But that is the way of it with mechanical and many electronic devices too. Initially you may get some 'infant mortalities' like yours. After that you get a period of high reliability and eventually you start to get failures due to 'old age'.<br />When my FE2 was almost new the lens release button fell of the front but after that I had no more trouble.</p>

<blockquote>

</blockquote>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Sachin the OP's D3200 doesn't seem to be gray market. If it were gray market (as far as Nikon USA is concerned), Nikon USA would have simply sent it back to him, as they wouldn't fix gray-market products even though you are willing to pay for the repair.</p>

<p>Nikon USA's primary business is selling Nikon products, not repairing. Gray-market products threaten Nikon USA's primary business, and that is why they try their best to discourage them.</p>