X-E2 - post processing

<p>I am trying-out my new X-E2 with the 18-55. I shoot in RAW. <em> </em> I use Light Room 5. I seem to be having to do much more post processing - sharpness, saturation, contrast, etc - than I have in the past with my 'big' Nikons, Panasonic compacts, and anything else I have worked on.</p>

<p>I have seen some references to post processing issues with the Fuji system, but I thought LR 5 had overcome these.</p>

<p>Advice would be appreciated.</p>

<p>Have you tried different profiles for the Fuji cameras in Lightroom? There are several sites that have downloadable profiles that emulate the in-camera looks, for example. What you describe seems basically the 'default Adobe' profile isn't to your taste, so easiest would be to choose a different profile (or create your own) and use that as default. Maybe this article is useful: https://photographylife.com/how-to-get-accurate-fuji-colors-in-lightroom .</p>

<p>Thanks for that Wouter. I have printed the article and glanced through it. I will read it more thoroughly.</p>

<p>Our elder son, who has top spec Canon equipment, uses profiles, but I have not had problems before. A little tweaking in LR has been all that was necessary. I took my first shots on the X-E2 in standard, but have now turned to the Velvia setting. I tend to have my cameras set to something on the vivid side. I am getting some very good images, but they need more work to produce them than I have been used to.</p>

<p>What version LR are you using - 5.? I believe the latest is 5.7, and that is the version that finally has decent camera profiles for the Fuji X cameras.</p>

<p>The issue I recall reading about with LR and Fuji X images was more along the lines of difficulty properly sharpening the files, and some smearing of detail at high ISO.</p>

<p>Thank you for the further contributions.<br>

Wayne - I will try what you suggest.<br>

Hosteen - I am not sure that what you say is correct. According to the Lightroom Journal, 5.7 only applies to X30, X100T, and X-TI. There are many contributions pleading with Adobe to update further for the X series. Some people are clearly much aggrieved by this omission.</p>

That wasn't really an "update". The X100S and X100T files are so similar to previous models that the only change needed

to make the software compatible was to add the new models to the list off files handled by the old processes. For

example, you can edit the raw file from an X100T to say X100S and a previous version of Adobe raw will handle it. Not

sure how much was required for the X30 but it's not very different from the X20.

Adobe software is bad at Fuji raw. Which is odd, considering their size and that this is what they do. Iridient is probably

0.001% the size of Adobe and does a better job.

<p>Make your own Lightroom 'User Preset' for your Fuji. After a while you should be able to notice what's missing in your Fuji files: needs a little more saturation, maybe a touch more magenta in WB, slight exposure comp, stuff like that. I did a couple of different presets for my XE1. Imo, they're better than the canned Fuji "film look" presets that Lightroom offers.<br>

Import your Fuji files using your custom Develop Preset.</p>