NEF + JPEG on separate memory cards - problem

Philip Freedman

<p>I set my D810 with the SD card as first and the CF card as second and set it to record NEFs on the SD card and JPEGs on the CF card. However on copying them into a new folder on my iMac using a card reader and Finder, the images on both cards have file suffixes NEF and none say JPEG. I tried importing the files from the CF card directly into Lightroom as an alternative and they still showed up as NEFs. Any ideas?<br>

Thanks Philip</p>

<p>d810 user manual</p>

<p>image recording options -> using two memory cards (page 86) -> nef + jpeg</p>

<p>secondary slot function -> raw primary - jpeg secondary<br /> you can set either slot as primary, i'd say you take the one with the better card :)..yeah i know..noone likes a wiseass.</p>

<p>what you might have forgotten is:</p>

<p>you have to set the quality settings to record both nef files and jpgs</p>

<p>filesizes should roughly be (depenending on what was photographed)</p>

<p>nef 14 bit uncompressed around 40 mb<br>

jpg large around 18mb</p>

<p>there should be a table of file sizes in your manual.</p>

<p>Norbert, I am trying to find out from Philip, the OP, the file sizes he is getting. Regardless of what the content of the images and the amount of compression is, NEF files should always be much larger than the largest JPEG file of the same image out of the camera.</p>

<p>I am trying to determine whether he is indeed getting two NEF files for each image captured. If so, the two NEF files should be identical in size.</p>

<p>If he is getting one NEF and one JPEG, but the JPEG is somehow mislabled as NEF, the file sizes should be very different.</p>

<p>For what it's worth, I almost always have my D810 set to record JPEGs (and video) to SD cards - which are easier to stick into a laptop for temporary access - and record raw to my CF cards (which are slightly faster). That policy may make less sense when Nikon start supporting UHS-II cards. I've not seen a problem - on the mac, I'm definitely seeing JPG and NEF suffices. I'm not going near Lightroom, though - I just copy the card contents into a folder directly. Double check the camera - it should just work, so I guess it's got set into backup mode rather than splitting. If you're paranoid about a bug, try the cards the other way around (with the CF as primary) - if this works and the reverse doesn't, you might have a BIOS weirdness that would be interesting to know about. If you browse the images in the camera, can you find JPEG images? The cards are listed separately.<br />

<br />

Shun - I think Norbert was just trying to suggest what vague sizes to look out for. I agree it's worth checking.</p>

<p>yeah, i was just trying to provide an approximately file size, even though this is also depending on the settings.<br /> i use it like this and that is why i posted it as i figured it might help to see that the different files will be around double the size when they are *.nef.<br /> thus speeding things up.</p>

<p>but i could also have written it more clearly.<br /> sorry</p>

<p>Maybe make it less confusing. First set it to capturing NEF + JPEG and insert only one memory card into the D810. It should then put both the NEF file and JPEG file onto that only card.</p>

<p>Once you verify that is working properly, insert a second card and then specify NEF to one card and JPEG to the other. Again, regardless of file name, the JPEG file should be a lot smaller than the NEF file, so it should be pretty easy to tell them apart.</p>