Contax 645 and Hartblei...not the lenses, guys, the WLF

martin_wouterlood1

I’m on a little mission…specifically, I’m trying to garner interest from Contax 645 users on a few medium format forum sites who like/prefer the waist level viewing experience.

Before letting go of the Hasselblad 503 not so long ago in favour of the Contax (for about the 3rd time over the years) I had been using it with the Hartblei adjustable 52x52mm 4x waist level finder. It has such a nice way of drawing me into the image that once I mounted it, it stayed.

Back to the Contax 645. I was fiddling with the Hartblei wlf on it recently and...what a difference! The extra magnification and resulting clarity compared to the native prism and waist finders is just immense. C645 users know that its viewfinder brightness and magnification are not it’s strongest suit, but this was like looking through the ‘Blad again.

The Hartblei finder will need some reworking though, to get the distance from the focusing screen right as well as the step up shape to fit over the front display readout.

Here’s where Hartblei may come to the party...I contacted them and received a couple of replies from their guy Vitaliy, stating that there is a realistic possibility that they may produce the viewfinder to fit the Contax 645. He is happy for me to open forum discussion and provided a link to post for anyone wishing to contact him about this idea.

<a href="http://www.hartbleilens.com/shop_content.php?coID=7">http://www.hartbleilens.com/shop_content.php?coID=7</a>

I would think that the Contax version would probably cost a little more than the $150-odd I paid for the ‘blad version, but heck, in the past the Contax wlf has sold for up to 4 times that. Nevertheless, I will be counting myself in on one of these.

I have just one more thing to say…

Go Contax, go!! There’s another breath of life in you yet…

Cheers, Martin

<p>Hi Ray<br /> I get your point and I should have been more specific in the absence of pics, rather than group them all into waist level finders. I never thought about it since I never use the finder without the magnifier as I'm not that good that I can focus down to my waist, only compose. I do mean the rigid, adjustable 4x magnifying hood on the Hartblei site...not a folding type, but then, all these rely on using the correct diopter insert. My whole point was about having a big image in the finder, and this one could be just neat on the Contax, like it has been on my 'blad. I don't think that on the Contax, it will take up any more height in the bag than the prism, and only a little more than the wlf...but the image difference to me was a revelation.</p>

<p>That would mean they would have to re-engineer the sheet metal housing to fit inside the space and slot of the Contax prism. Just make sure that it is grounded and would not interfere with any part of that area. (Possible electrical contacts, meter area,etc) As many of you may know, all Servicing and spare parts will cease after Feb. 28, 2015.<br>

Several items as spare parts inventory are no longer available. All of my Contax 645 system, N-1 system, and Aria along with my Contax Yashica lenses are being serviced now. BIG BILL, but definitely servivced to last another 5-10 years....</p>

<p>Evan</p>