Enlarger Timer

n._reese

Hello,

I am looking to purchase a Beseler 23c enlarger. It comes with an analog timer. I am wondering if there are specific timers that go with

specific enlargers, or if I could just purchase a digital timer and use it with the Beseler 23c. I find the digital timers to be easier to use and

more accurate, and am wondering if I will be stuck with the analog timer if I purchase this enlarger.

~N.

<p>The Gralab analog and digital readout timers I've used had common three-prong grounded outlets and plugins. There may be some proprietary or non-standard interfaces out there but I've never seen one in the school, newspaper or other darkrooms I've used. My Italian-made Durst enlargers made for the U.S. market use standard three-prong outlets, as does my Gralab digital timer.</p>

<p>Incidentally if you get a digital timer be sure it has the plugin for a footswitch. Very handy for dodging/burning techniques to keep both hands free. Usually the footswitch is optional and hard to find or expensive. But any inexpensive footswitch can be adapted to the timer. For my Gralab digital timer I used the same old Radio Shack footswitch I already had for my tape recorders when transcribing interviews. I just added the correct mini-plug adapter.</p>