EF 24 f2.8 vs. EF 24 2.8IS

kerry_grim

Are there any EF24mm 2.8IS lens owners who also have owned the EF24 2.8 lens? I am contemplating going from a

Canon 40D to a 6D. As for wide angles I currently I do have Canon 17-40, 24mm f2.8, and 35mm f2.

Plans are to keep the 17-40, sell the 24 and 35 and get the 24IS lens. I do like the IS and that is not the

issue so I am not question that. I am just wondering how much better the new 24 IS lens is compared to the old

one. Do you find the new lens better optically in the corners? Is there less CA, distortion, etc. in the new lens.

There are times when I prefer using a 24 even though it is cover by the zoom range, so that is not an issue. The

24IS is not cheap and that is also not an issue. Simply wondering the thoughts of users that moved from the old

24mm lens to the new 24IS lens. Thanks in advance!

<p>[[i am just wondering how much better the new 24 IS lens is compared to the old one.]]</p>

<p>There are plenty of old/new comparison reviews available online for the IS replacements of the trio of prime lenses (24, 28, 35mm). </p>

<p>As you indicate the money is not an issue, there's no reason I've seen to not buy the IS versions. </p>

<p>I have had both and upgraded from one to the other. I basically bought the new lens almost entirely because of the IS, which I thought would be useful. I was pretty happy with the original 24mm which I think is great value. The new one has less distortion than the old one, but it is not distortion free - both can be easily fixed in Lightroom. The new one is sharper at wider apertures and has much less CA too, so it is better. However, to be honest, I thought the old one was unbeatable value and objectively it was probably not worth the money for the optical improvement gained - but isn't that usually the case with these upgrades? The IS, however, is a great advantage as it gives you a lens that will surpass the 24L in low light capability in a much cheaper and much smaller lens. Most of the tests I have read do list the 24mm IS as one of the best 24's out there (it is the same or better at comparable apertures as the 24L), but I also liked the old one too.</p>

<p>At the moment, I find a small 24 useful for when I want to travel light and need low light capabilities. Neither the 24-70 f2.8, nor the 16-35mm for that matter, can match it in this regard.</p>

Robin Smith

<p>I bought a refurb EF 24 2.8 IS USM from Canon Direct last summer for $379 and have been pleased with both optical and IS performance. It is very sharp center frame when wide open and a little softer in the corners but is better in this respect than my old EF 24 2.8 and 35 2.0. To me the big improvement is the IS and greatly improved AF. My 24 2.8 IS review:</p>

<p>http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/canon_ef24_2.8is_usm.htm</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Haha, thanks. I noticed when I linked it. Forgot to change some for the headers of my template! I bought the Holy Trinity this summer--24, 28 and 35 IS and wrote reviews on them at the same time. I ended up returning the 28 2.8 IS due to strong front focus problems. I could MA it on my 6D but everything was soft on my SL1 (lacks MA).</p>

- Robert Hunter

Almost certainly I will sell the old 24 and get the new IS version. Yes the old one is a good lens and I recall reading your review on that lens when I bought it to use with an EOS 3.

It stinks that a lens with the cost of the new IS does not include a lens hood. But it is what it is. Not sure if my EW-60II lens hood will work on the new IS lens...likely not. If not I will buy a cheap knock-off.

<p>I bought the Rainbow Imaging HEW65B clone of the EW-65B and it looks and works great (also sold as the JJC Photography Equipment co LH-W65B). Close to OEM quality save for a lack of rayon flocking. It was $10, a savings of $40 over OEM.</p>

- Robert Hunter