sutaible camera to take pics of gems

shalika_lakmini

<p>I am in deep trouble here. I have a fujifilm 20mm lens camera. it is 12 mega pixels. i wanna take pictures of gemstones. i am new to this field. i tried to take pics but they are not that quality. how can i take pics in a much quality method using the camera i already have? . or can't I use it?. do i have to buy a new camera? coz cameras here are very expensive and i wanna see if can use the one i already have!!! plzzz help</p>

<p>I suspect your biggest problem is lighting and not your camera.<br /> I suggest you ask your question on the lighting form and please specify which model camera you have, how you want to use the images, and be more specific about why you are dissatisfied with your images. Also, be sure to include either an image or a link to an image.</p>

<p> </p>

Single gemstones or clusters of them?

Lighting s indeed an issue but first , if you are photographing single stones will be the ability to focus closely.

How will the photos be used? By that I primarily men what size will they be reproduced and for what purpose? To

reproduce at life size in a catalog or enlarged to greater than life size?

Like any craftsman, you need to think about the end use before deciding on the tools.

Right now the camera and lens combination that is most ideal for photogrhing single gemstones is any Canon D-SLR and

either the EF65mm 1-5x Macro lens -which is a a very specialized lens, or an EF 100mm f/2.8 IS Macro lens.

<p>shalika -</p>

<p>Rather than asking the same question again, on a different forum, (which is against Photonet's User Guidelines) - it would be better to respond here and answer the questions asked of you.<br>

Summarizing those questions to you - </p>

<p>What camera?<br>

What are the Photos to be used for?<br>

Single Gems or clusters of Gems?<br>

What Lighting gear do you have?<br>

Outline what problems you have and perhaps include an image example.</p>

<p>*</p>

<p>If a thread is not suited to stay in a particular Forum, it can be moved by a Moderator or Administrator.</p>

<p>WW<br>

</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Going to Dpreview I find in recent years the only 12Mp cameras are the X series and they come with either a 25 or 28 starting zoom and have a x4 zoom. I do not know these cameras but I imagine that they have a problem that they cannot focus close to get photos of small object when at telephoto setting. The simple starting solution is to get a cheap magnifying glass and with the lens set to maximum telephoto hold or tape the glass in front of the lens. In this approach one is using the narrow angle of view of the telephoto lens to achieve 'tight framing' rather than getting close to the subject. There will be a very limited range of distance you can work at so a bit of experimentation is needed to work this out and it very much depends of the magnifying glass.</p>

<p>Once you are familiar with working this way they you can consider getting a 'photo quality' "close-up lens" whose outer diameter matches the diameter of the camera lens housing to facilitate taping it in position. I doubt if the camera has a 'filter thread' to screw the CU lens in place hence the suggestion.</p>

<p>I would also suggest that you need a mini-tripod to support the camera during exposures with a secondary technique of using the delay release [ 10 second ?] and leaving the camera untouched on the tripod once you have pressed the camera ... a simple little trick which I always use with static subjects when using a tripod.</p>

<p>But as suggested above a major aspect is usually lighting and this is such a big subject my only comment is that people often work with what they have rather than splurging on expensive gear ... that is until they know they really need that gear. This suggestion also applies to the camera itself <strong>and a lot depends of what you want to do with your results</strong>. I have a personal preference for working with CU lens, but with a longer lens than you have, which comes from my use of bridge cameras despite also having DSLR and appropriate accessories ... but it is my approach and possibly not the best.</p>

<p>See how you go and come back with further questions as perhaps you strike problems :-) We are here to help but we need a bit more information than you provided this time to make concrete suggestions.</p>