D7100 and Capture NX2

nick_baker

<p>This must have been addressed many times but I could not find the answer by searching. I thought Capture NX2 supported the D7100 but my NEF's are opening with 1620x1080 resolution. What am I doing wrong? I am using Capture NX2 v2.4.7 on Mac OS10.9.5. My NEFs are full res lossless compressed, all ~32MB on the drive.</p>

<p>thanks</p>

<p>Nick, could it be possible that the resolution of 1620x1080 is the attached jpg file size, or you are looking at something else? How do you move files from the camera to your computer?<br>

Transfer NX2 should be fine.<br>

Download a ViewNX2 or Capture NX-D and open your file with one of those. You should be able to see the actual size.<br>

I have the CNX2 and for most I am starting to like CNX-D (only for global edits, tough).</p>

<p>Kari, how is the stability of NX-D in your computer? I'm running Windows 7 and NX-D periodically crashes on it (while other software that I use do not). Also the thumbnail strip at the bottom of the window gets confused and does not show the image thumbnails correctly; as I move the mouse cursor over it the images change. This doesn't happen all the time but several times per day. I just think it is to be avoided until Nikon fixes it properly. I now use ViewNX2 for browsing and open images with PS CC 2014 through ACR. I am starting to be quite annoyed that Nikon would release this unusually immature and poorly tested software. It is so strange when considering how robust Nikon cameras are with the firmware etc. being almost completely bug free with few exceptions. How is it that they can't get the computer software to work and yet release it to the public. Incidentally Adobe also had problems with some of their camera profiles for the D810, but they were fixed in a v2 beta release that one can install if one knows how to look for it. After the v2 beta profile install, I've been satisfied with ACR/PS CC 2014 for D810 files though I'd still prefer to use a Nikon converter.</p>

<p>Off the OP's topic, but related, so: View NX2 is faster than CNX-D for intial labeling and rating as it is possible to use small jpgs for the "first pass". I am strating to like CNX-D, but I have had similar issues with that tool what Ilkka describes. (see: digital darkroom - the preview is not updated fully.)<br>

Maybe we are just seeing the results of subcontracting. When delivery chains become long enough part of the control is lost for ever.</p>

<p>I am happy that OP got his problem solved.</p>