sensor cleaning with only a fully charged battery

bill_force

<p>I don't know the answer to your question, but on those older cameras you can hold the shutter open on B to clean the sensor. Its awkward and is risky if your finger slips off the shutter button, but I've done it once or twice on my D1H. I now have a cheap 3rd party cable release that fits into the 10 pin connector, so if I had to do it again I'd use the lock on that to hold the shutter open.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>My D200 will not lock the mirror up unless you have an external power supply plugged in</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That contradicts both my experience and the manual - an external power supply should not be needed. However, mirror lock up will not work with a battery that is at 2/3 charge or lower and also not when the battery grip is mounted and loaded with AA batteries.</p>

<p>In the D70 manual Nikon recommends an external power supply - I can't recall whether or not the mirror locked up with a full battery as well (I either never cleaned the sensor or it did with a battery only - I never owned an external power supply).</p>

<p>As Dieter correctly pointed out, the D200 (introduced in late 2005) has the mirror lock up feature. Therefore, this capability has been around for at least a decade. Is there any particular reason that the OP needs to know precisely which model had this feature first? Hopefully this info is close enough as the first (somewhat) popular and usable Nikon DSLR, the D1, was introduced about 6 years before that back in 1999.</p>

<p>A bit surprised to see how small the back LCD was 10 years ago.</p><div>00d4kP-554180084.jpg.24c5278c671dd3d0a2c19ac00444d740.jpg</div>

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tbody>

<tr align="left" valign="top">

<td> </td>

<td colspan="3">

<h4>It appears as though Nikon is giving out confusing data or I can't read properly, this excerpt is from Thom and disputes the directive from Nikon and if very clear.</h4>

<p>Sensor cleaning is not much different with the D200 than previous DSLRs, though there's plenty of "landing space" for swabs on one side of the imaging area. Nikon disclaims all but blower bulb cleaning. You can get to the sensor area by using a menu-based mirror lockup function IF YOU HAVE A FULL BATTERY, but be careful about that--the camera comes with a failsafe: if the battery goes below a certain level you'll get an audible warning and the shutter will close shortly thereafter. There's been at least one report of someone not getting that warning. <em>Always</em> use a freshly charged battery, and don't dally in your cleaning. </p>

</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>