Bird Identification

anthony_r.1

<p>Shun is correct. This looks like a captive. I have seen this bird at the International Crane Foundation in Baraboo, WI. I vaguely remember them being a little aggressive if you got near the fence. And also this tendency to run/jump/bounce as if they were performing. Very interesting bird. There is one subspecies in Western Africa, small population, declining and a second subspecies in Eastern Africa, larger population and probably stable.<br>

<a href="https://www.savingcranes.org/black-crowned-crane.html">https://www.savingcranes.org/black-crowned-crane.html</a></p>

<p>I have been to East Africa twice, on separate trips to Kenya and Tanzania. On safari over there, it is not difficult to see crowned cranes and kori bustards. I have plenty of images of both, but on slide film so that it is not as convenient to post them here.</p>

<p>Hopefully I can go back there soon.</p>

<p>Shun, I think the ones you saw in East Africa were probably <strong>Gray</strong> Crowned Cranes, which populate East Africa and further down. The Black Crown Cranes are usually found further north - according to my research. In my two trips to Tanzania and one to Kenya, I did not see any Black Crowned Cranes, but saw plenty of the Gray ones. I am rather astonished to read that they are in the endangered list, while the Black Crowned Crane is in the "Vulnerable" list.</p><div>00d5DX-554299884.jpg.52aec8d11b62f8a5b2ae5f7c33d3208d.jpg</div>

<p>I see, so they might have had a real Kori Bustard somewhere. Sorry for misspelling the name under the photograph.</p>

<p>If you love wildlife, I strongly recommend going to an African Safari for the experience. Since coming back from the safaris, it has been difficult for me to look at zoo animals. It's like looking at prisoners in jail or in isolation. So far, the only zoos (wildlife sanctuaries) that I feel comfortable with are the "Lion Safaris" of Ontario and "Omega Park" of Quebec, where the animals appear to be happy.</p>