F1-N. And I need another one why ?

gary_d1

<p>I hope this is the correct forum for this, and not the Casual Photo Conversations, but....<br>

........<br>

So I already have a Canon F1-N that my Father in law purchased new, and gave to me when he passed a few years back. I actually just had it CLA’d a few weeks back. Works perfect and I have a spattering of FD lenses.<br>

Last night on EBay while looking at FD lenses, I spotted numerous F1-N’s. One caught my eye, only because it said “or best offer”. It was buy it now for $250.00, (No lens), or best offer. Condition was Very Good, and the seller said that it was CLA’d last year. $250.00 seemed like a fair price, considering some of the other F1N prices on EBay.</p>

<p>Well, who knows why, but I bid, and made a somewhat low offer, even saying I wanted Free shipping as well. I really did not want it (Just messing around), figuring the seller will most likely say NO.……Well I got it…….So now I have a spare…..<br>

<br />Now back to what I was there for, looking at FD lenses… lol</p>

<p>No, No, No! This is not Gear Acquisition Syndrome. You really need that second body! Now you can shoot black and white in one and color in the other at the same time. See, that's how you justify this type of thing to yourself and others. Now you need another fast 50 or another zoom to put on that other body for less lens changes. Are you seeing how this works now? :-)</p>

<p>All kidding aside, congrats on your F1-N. I'd love to have one, but their too much $$ for me. I had to "settle" for an FTb to get my FD fix.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>As I will say again,</p>

<blockquote>

<p>What is it that the camera vendor buys that is half so precious as what he sells?<br /> Omar vW</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I have numerous assemblages that started out as "just one, couldn't hurt".<br /> However, to get full sympathy, you should have posted this on the Classic Manual Camera forum; pretty much everyone there has Camera Acquisition Syndrome, and most are pretty happy with the condition. At the prices of even top-grade film cameras these days, it can be a relatively harmless obsession.</p>

<p>Hey Gary,</p>

<p>Geez, I haven't checked the prices on New F-1s on eBay lately. $250 seems high to me, so I just took another look. Very interesting. I'm glad I bought my F-1N when I did. Must have been a lull in prices about a year and a half ago or so. I got mine with the AE Finder FN for about $170, paid about another 80 bux for the motor drive. I think I must have timed things just right.</p>

<p>Mine is my first F-1N. I've owned several original F-1s -- own three of them right now, in fact. I still prefer the old one, especially the second version, to the new one, but I must admit that the new one is rugged enough where I feel I could pound nails with it if ever the need arose. I've always thought the original was robust, but honestly I think the "N" is built even tougher.</p>

<p>I find Mark's comments interesting. Just yesterday, I took a hard look at my "collection" and decided it was overdue for a thinning. I own the aforementioned 3 F-1s (originals), the 1 F-1N, 5 FTbs (four "n" models), 4 A-1s, 3 AE-1Ps, 1 AE-1, 1 AT-1, and 1 T90. So, how many is that? Hrm, 19 by my count. And that's just the FD SLRs. I have two EOS SLRs (one DSLR) and one Canon IIIa rangefinder. I'll be keeping my EOS cameras and my IIIa rf, my F-1N, two of my original F-1s, two FTbs, one A-1, one AE-1P, and the T90. So that's what? Still 8 FD cameras. I could pare things down a bit further, but I've decided to keep an extra FTb and an extra old F-1 because I have almost mint copies of each, and I'd rather have ones in a bit rougher shape to use when I'm out banging around outdoors.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>I'm Nikon not Canon but I have four Nikon F2 bodies, same vintage as the Canon F-1. At this point probably only one or two are in full working order -- meter is dead on one, frame counter dead on another, tripod socket stripped out on one. By swapping meters and motor drives back and forth I can come up with definitely one and probably two that I can count on. Having a second body is essential if you're going out to shoot a paying job but still very useful even if you're just shooting for yourself so the day isn't ruined if a camera body chooses a critical moment not to cooperate.</p>