All PC Savants Please Weigh In On My New Build

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Open the manual for the Asus X99-A and turn to section 1.2.4 System Memory

You have the RAM install in the wrong slots. (all blue on one side of CPU) Look at the config diagram for a 4 DIMM layout. Tell your build guy to RTFM (seriously)

The RAM should be in slots A1 B1 [CPU] D1 C1

If its not in the correct slots, no quad channel memory access

Make sure your hard disk is set to AHCI in section 3.6.3 (more steps required to get Windows 7 to boot if installed as IDE then to switched AHCI)

AHCI is better for SSDs (NVMe is best, but you need a recent OS like Windows 8.1 for support)

Also, what port # is SSD installed? Looks like MB has additional controller besides built into the X99

Also check what slot the GPU is installed. See section 1.2.5 and verify its in slot 1 (no PCIe 3.0 in its current slot)

The CPU cooler might need to be reclocked (rotate) to fit and relocating its fan to fit in the case.

Hopefully your RAM is not super tall to complicate things further.

Photos really do help, thank you for thinking of posting them

<p>Thanks folks !<br>

Wow Richard, you have me pretty freaked now. Although everything you mentioned is way above my head, it sure sounds as though a lot of things were not done properly.<br>

"If its not in the correct slots, no quad channel memory access"<br>

Could that be what's causing the delay that I talked about?<br>

Hey, you wouldn't happen to live anywhere near Reading Pa. would you?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"If its not in the correct slots, no quad channel memory access"<br />Could that be what's causing the delay that I talked about?<br /><br /></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Randy, this is the instruction manual (<a href="http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2011/X99-A/e9736_x99-a_ug_v2.pdf">link</a>) that Richard referred to. You will see the directions on memory placement on Section 1.2.4 for four memory chips (DIMMS).</p><div>00d8Hu-555003584.jpg.8d155ddff8a9962ac0538c250a2c41ea.jpg</div>

<p>OK, so, we're REAL clear on improper memory placement. <br>

Now, onto the AHCI setting....................<br>

Richard or anyone else that understands, I did a search on how to find out if the bios is set to AHCI. Does the following two screen grabs that I have placed right next to each other show you that things are set up correctly in regard to AHCI? It would appear that way to me but obviously I'm not sure. <br>

THANKS !</p><div>00d8Ip-555008484.thumb.jpg.4cd7ab15d9c011f165535c24a2257248.jpg</div>

Memory wise, the manual recommends filling the 4 grey RAM slots with your 4 stick kit. Thanks to Mary for some arrows!

The X99-A BIOS defaults to AHCI. Press DEL when the computer first boots (POST) to verify your settings.

Don't freak too much regarding the assembly by your tech guy. Custom builds always involve some trial and error to get things to fit just right, some disassembly when things don't fit the first (or second) time, and finally be optimized with BIOS changes and DIP switch settings. Asus X99-A has a few simple switches that control some performance tweaks like enable XMP profile for the RAM. I'd turn this on

It looks as if the RAM will be accessible to swap slots. Randy, if you can look closer with the CPU fan removed, you can see if they will lift out. Even better, take another photo from directly above the CPU to show RAM placement.

No rubber shoes, no wool sweaters, no cats, lay the case on its side to make access easier on a non conductive surface. Disconnect the AC power cord, then press the power button to fully discharge residual juice. Unclip the fan from the side of the cooler.

If the RAM is not obscured, you should not have to remove the CPU cooler itself. If its in the way, then you can buy another matching 4x4GB ram kit OR remove the cooler. Run the math if you need to hire out removing and replacing the cooler. If you do transport the case as is, lay it on side to minimize stress from the CPU cooler.

Having the GPU in its current location is not a deal breaker. If you had two or more, then it starts to matter a lot if the first PCIe x16 slot is covered by stuff.

If the RAM is not in the correct layout, the system will access the RAM sticks one at a time. Slow

Most systems these days access memory in pairs.

In X79 and X99 systems, if you have the RAM installed in sets of four, in the right slots for the plumbing to work right, you access all four at the same time.

Net result is much higher memory bandwidth speeds. This is why you bought an X99 system.

See http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/performance-chipsets/x99-chipset-diagram.html

Eric are you asking how to do this with an Asus A99-A, or suggesting the OP check for himself?

Randy (the OP) is over his pay grade to use his words in regards to the inner workings of the PC.

XMP profiles http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/extreme-memory-profile-xmp.html takes the guess work out of custom memory settings. No messing with voltages, timings, and other stuff which will brick your machine if you happen to enter the wrong values. Poof, the magic smokes comes out.

Leave overclocking to people with time and money to burn. XMP is easy enough for the muggles to operate via the BIOS.

Asus has made it even easier to enable/disable XMP with a DIP switch on the MB.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2011/X99-A/e9736_x99-a_ug_v2.pdf has more info for those interested.

I bothered to read the Intel marketing BS referenced above.

Intel has written an Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility for Windows 7 *, Windows 8*, Windows 8.1*

Download Here https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24075&lang=eng

No need to even enter the BIOS at POST. Hopefully it runs on all supported boards containing Intel chipsets, not just Intel brand boards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface makes this possible

<blockquote>

<p>Eric are you asking how to do this with an Asus A99-A, or suggesting the OP check for himself?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'm suggesting Randy should check in bios that it is set to 2400 and not 1800 etc. My last build, the default setting was set to slower than my ram</p>

<p>Update to all of those who are still following along.</p>

<p>I discussed the memory placement with my PC builder. He told me that he had originally placed the memory like the manual suggested and the system only picked up 8 of the 16 GBs of memory. So, his first experiment was to place the memory as he has it now, all right next to each other. This worked and the system correctly picked up all 16 GB of the memory.<br /><br />Wondering why this would be, I called Asus tech support. I was only about three quarters of the way through my story when the technician said, "What the builder did is correct. It will only work if they are placed the way that he placed them. Our manual in wrong and we have not updated it as of yet. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you."<br /><br />So, this information plus the fact that the AHCI setting is correct has me trusting my guy as much as I did in the first place. All much a do about nothing. I can only assume that the ONE area where it seemed a bit slow, that is waiting for the picture to come up after hitting filter/liquefy, will get faster once I move on to Photoshop CC.<br /><br />Thanks for all of your concern an help but it appears all things are as they should be.</p>

<p>"asus ez mode", or "asus ez flash", is a great gui for your bios settings and it should not bring up anything about mobile devices or gaming. <a href="https://www.google.ca/search?q=asus+ez+mode&newwindow=1&es_sm=122&biw=1707&bih=918&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=n2jlVMa4CMO3oQSWh4J4&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ">here's the google image results</a></p>

<p>anyway Randy, half way down this promo page for your mobo:</p>

<blockquote>

<p><br /><br />The smoothest, slickest mouse-controlled graphical BIOS has been improved to make it even more appealing. Whether you're a PC novice or a seasoned overclocker, the EZ and Advanced Modes help you find your way, quickly and easily.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99A/</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi Eric,<br>

I couldn't figure out how to find the EZ Mode screen but I did find this free software that looks at all aspects of the system.</p>

<p>Does this tell you what you want to know. I would appear to me that it is showing quad channel access but I'm not sure.</p><div>00d8VC-555054584.thumb.jpg.b35f7363e5f15fd88b39f408292183f4.jpg</div>

<p>Dram timing is set to 1066 it seems. Maybe Richard will jump back in but it should say 3000</p>

<p>I'd google on how to enter EZ Mode or make an account at Tomshardware like you have here. This board seems to have a few problems with memory and reading xmp.</p>

Randy,

</rant on>

Random searches on the internet will give you outdated results and expose novices to harmful downloads. Don't run .exe from untrusted sources. And avoid all the other potential attack vectors like .SCR (who uses screen savers any more). And the rest..

Example:

The file name was "What_I_Searched_For.PDF.EXE", what do you mean I am infected. It said PDF right in the file name.

I am not implying the software you downloaded was infected. Be more careful next time.

<rant off/>

Please read section 3 in the X99-A manual called BIOS setup. It goes through how to switch the BIOS into Advanced view. It is EZ View by default. You should have a hard copy in the X99-A box OR print out the pages from the online version.

How to do it:

Power up the computer and start tapping on the keyboard key labeled Delete. Keep tapping until the machine boots into BIOS setup. If this does not work, try a hard wired keyboard in the PS/2 port and try again. If X9-A does not have PS/2 port try a hard wired usb keyboard in one of the legacy USB 2.0 ports. Keep tapping on delete and it should NOT boot into windows.

OR refer to Section 1.2.2 Mother board Layout and try switch number 16 "EZ XMP" switch. It should also enable the default XMP profile. That seems the simpler thing to try first.

You should also look at the ASUS tools for made for the X99-A.

http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99A/HelpDesk_Download/

They might have a utility like Intel's that works in windows and you can set these BIOS settings from the comfort zone of Windows. Hopefully with the advent of UEFI, Asus tools might actually work.

p.s. Asus has had this board on the market for months now. Why isn't the memory layout issue even mentioned in the FAQs for this board and likely all their other 8 RAM slot X99 products?